Gransnet forums

News & politics

*DURHAMGEN FOR PM ??*

(246 Posts)
gangy5 Wed 06-Apr-16 11:07:09

I come and go on Gransnet and have just returned after a break to find some really interesting topics. durhamjen is so up there with all the facts and must do such a lot of reading. She knows just how to put her finger on relevant information which is very useful to us all on here. She's evidently a driven woman - ideal for the above post. whitewave would make an admirable deputy.

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 13-Apr-16 00:19:31

I can't post anything about my reasons for resigning because there's a super injunction in place. winkgrin

Jalima I was hoping it would be cross-party coalition and that we would show the male dominated parliament a thing or two about cooperation. grin

Jalima Tue 12-Apr-16 17:51:55

Is this a cross-party coalition government by the way?

I may have to consider my position, as I like to be well-balanced grin

Jalima Tue 12-Apr-16 17:50:22

Wilma hope you haven't been keeping your caravan second home in a tax haven off the coast of Wales (the Bardsey Island Trust perhaps?)
hmm

durhamjen Tue 12-Apr-16 17:45:32

I am sure there will still be a place at the cabinet table when you return, Wilma.
That's another thing, of course. We need to decide when parliament, or whatever we call it, is sitting and when not.
Is there any reason to keep to the present system?
The Lords sit for longer than the commons. However, they need sorting as well.
A fully elected second house in order to temper our excesses, anyone?
MPs complain about teachers long holidays, then take longer themselves.

Jane10 Tue 12-Apr-16 07:45:56

Or rather what have you been found to have done? Trial by media is so, well, trying!

Jane10 Tue 12-Apr-16 07:44:50

Oh Wilma what have you done?

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 11-Apr-16 22:23:23

Sadly and with regret I must resign my Cabinet position to spend more time with my family (we're going to our old caravan in Wales later this week! grin). sad

Rest assured that I will continue to support the government from the back benches. wink

durhamjen Mon 11-Apr-16 21:43:46

I just looked at the website. Too difficult for him. I'd have to explain the meaning of half the words on the explanatory page. And then do a lot of background reading as well as the course.

He is learning from the i and a book by Andrew Marr at the moment. The health visitor says he probably knows more about politics than she does.

whitewave Mon 11-Apr-16 21:36:32

Only just finished week one. Looking at the way the EU has developed since the 50s when it was brought about by people like Churchill Ardenhaur etc. Then looked at how myths are formed and the displacement between what people think the EU does/should do and the actuality. That is a very potted version.
Week 2 is looking at what happened during/since WW11 Takes about 4 hours a week but seems to take me longer.

durhamjen Mon 11-Apr-16 21:25:07

That's okay, whitewave.
Quite often the best ideas come when out of the office.

Do you think it would be a helpful way for my grandson to learn about the EU, along with me, of course?

durhamjen Mon 11-Apr-16 21:22:23

Who's the business secretary, by the way. Can't keep track.

whitewave Mon 11-Apr-16 21:22:07

OK will do but too knackered tonight for any ideas. Been doing my EU course, which Chris might be doing as it is so informative, and should help her understand the issues.

durhamjen Mon 11-Apr-16 21:21:31

I agree with that as well. However, this morning I heard that half the steel used in Nissan cars comes from Port Talbot. Other car manufacturers are the same.
If we do not keep steel production in this country, we could easily lose the car industry as well.

Jalima Mon 11-Apr-16 21:01:22

Fine, my pigs, cows and sheep are safe.
And the crops.

Anyone else in the cabinet think it's a good idea to nationalise steel and the railways?
Um, I think Water should be the priority for re-nationalisation.

durhamjen Mon 11-Apr-16 20:59:42

Of course not, Jalima.
There's enough land in the builders land banks.
If they do not build, we can compulsorily purchase it. We ought to ensure they build enough properly affordable housing, otherwise we do not give them the PQE finance.

By the way, in RL, I have just read that the Lords have defeated the government twice in the Housing Bill.

You carry on, whitewave.
How else should a government get ideas other than by brainstorming?

Anyone else in the cabinet think it's a good idea to nationalise steel and the railways?

Jalima Mon 11-Apr-16 20:51:38

I hope you are not considering taking good farming land for housing, Prime Minister!

Elegran Mon 11-Apr-16 19:20:16

For your budget plans, WW, bear in mind that "if the money supply increases too quickly, quantitative easing can lead to higher rates of inflation. This is due to the fact that there is still a fixed amount of goods for sale when more money is now available in the economy. " (Investopedia definition of QE) so be careful not to over-do it.

whitewave Mon 11-Apr-16 18:51:39

I've stopped because I seem to be annoying people. I had hoped we could have a good debate, but I just seem to irritate people, and that wasn't the intention.

whitewave Mon 11-Apr-16 18:49:50

Yes but that is in the spending plan?

durhamjen Mon 11-Apr-16 18:27:22

Whitewave, are you considering PQE to kickstart the economy, get the population building again, houses and jobs for all.

Jalima Mon 11-Apr-16 15:49:31

A poisoned chalice?

whitewave Mon 11-Apr-16 15:29:27

Not sure we've got one.

Jalima Mon 11-Apr-16 15:03:46

no main verb in my last sentence, who is the Schools Minister? blush

Jalima Mon 11-Apr-16 15:02:57

The downside is, of course, that meat, chicken and other animal products would become more expensive and, like all politicians, I will end up having to compromise. Perhaps persuading people to eat less meat and not to waste food (can I enrol Hugh Fearnley Wotsisname as my Special Adviser?).

Anniebach Mon 11-Apr-16 14:56:59

Bravo Jalima