Gransnet forums

News & politics

Each persons income and tax in the public domain?

(148 Posts)
Gracesgran Thu 07-Apr-16 07:57:38

This is what happens in Norway and they have the smallest income gap between the sexes and a much smaller gap between the highest and the lowest paid.

Could we ever persuade citizens of the UK to do the same?

Nonnie Sun 10-Apr-16 12:17:23

Sorry only skimmed through the last couple of pages but what is all the fuss about? If DC has been obliged to reveal all this personal information I think all MPs and top civil servants should be forced to do the same. That would unleash a can of worms because whatever methods were used by DC's advisers will have been used by many others too.

I suspect DC only revealed a bit at a time as he understood that he had done nothing wrong and couldn't possibly have anticipated that such a non-story would run and run. At least he has manned up and said it is his own fault and not tried to hide behind anyone else. It is good when someone admits mistakes and doesn't push the blame on others.

It has been said over and over again that nothing wrong has been done but we are now back in the politics of envy. I wouldn't mind being in the position of making such choices.

Another point is that I am not sure all these wealthy people have any idea where there money is. DH doesn't have a clue, he just signs whatever I put in front of him.

harrigran Sun 10-Apr-16 12:21:27

Have to agree with bags, private financial affairs are exactly that ... private. This country seems to be full of nosy old women who need to know the far end of a fart and which way it blew.

thatbags Sun 10-Apr-16 13:59:26

Lovely imagery, harri grin

I just tried to listen to Jeremy Corbyn on the Marr show. I couldn't. It's not what he says but how he says it thst I found very disturbing. Is he always so monotonic when he speaks? Does he always look half asleep?

I hadn't realised these things before because I've only read about things he has said. The only other politician I simply couldn't listen to was Margaret Thatcher. That was because of all the plums in her mouth and her coldness of visage.

Weird, the pair of them.

Think I'll carry on just reading.

durhamjen Sun 10-Apr-16 13:59:38

That's very rude, harrigran.

Cameron was all for transparency until he realised it affected him. He criticised others for doing what he has done. He has been caught out.

Actually the question of NI is important. It should not be rolled up into tax.
It should be kept as NI to pay for the NHS and pensions, and the cap removed.
Rich people might be able to fiddle their taxes but they cannot fiddle NI on earnings, and they cannot opt out.

Cameron's earnings are substantial enough for him to have given himself a very hefty tax cut last year and this year. Very 'lucky' for him.
Taxpayers pay the salaries of MPs and we should be able to find out if we are getting value for money.
I also think that he should go before the Parliamentary standards commissioner.
He has brought his position into disrepute with all the furore and secrecy this week.

durhamjen Sun 10-Apr-16 14:01:33

I watched Corbyn, and thought he was being very sincere and put quite a bit of expression into what he said.

rosesarered Sun 10-Apr-16 14:12:31

I find it hard to watch Corbyn too thatbags and yes, he always speaks the way he did this morning , but what I find unnerving is the sniffs, I find I am waiting for them to happen.grin He will now be publishing his tax returns, so we are told.I agree harrigran Our tax is a private matter, and don't see that anyone should have to publish them.

whitewave Sun 10-Apr-16 14:57:28

Nothing about his suit then?

rosesarered Sun 10-Apr-16 14:59:52

No, he was 'talking head' from a studio in Scotland.

rosesarered Sun 10-Apr-16 15:00:43

Ooops! Haha, I mean he was A talking head. grin

rosesarered Sun 10-Apr-16 15:01:29

Sorry to have put an unfortunate image in your own heads.

durhamjen Sun 10-Apr-16 15:01:48

He looked quite smart, dark suit, red tie, shirt. Paid for it himself, too.

whitewave Sun 10-Apr-16 15:06:18

Good for him! I bet what he said was far more interesting than what he looked like though, whether you agreed or not. Talking about what people look like or their mannerisms is so last decade, as my GS would say.

thatbags Sun 10-Apr-16 15:43:37

I thought Corbyn was being very sincere too. I get the impression he only does very sincere but I think it would help if he had a bit more... well.... oomph.

thatbags Sun 10-Apr-16 15:45:16

Suit? What suit? I didn't notice the clothes. I was looking at his face. You know, the important bit of a person who's talking.

durhamjen Sun 10-Apr-16 16:19:41

Good that you didn't notice. It shows he looked like the sort of politician that gets on in the world.

Ana Sun 10-Apr-16 16:22:44

Well, it's taken him long enough...

thatbags Sun 10-Apr-16 16:51:42

I've told you before, dj, that I never had any objections to his clothes (when you previously were defending his choice of attire). It has occurred to me a few times that you don't listen enough.

whitewave Sun 10-Apr-16 16:54:29

Wouldn't have taken him so long ana if he had 54k style guide and a similar amount to buy them.

Always assuming style over substance is your thing.

Ana Sun 10-Apr-16 16:58:15

There's far too much assuming going on here already. I too couldn't give a toss what any of them wear.

I certainly don't believe it's Corbyn's dress sense or lack of it that's held him back all these years, although you may choose to think so.

POGS Sun 10-Apr-16 17:33:25

Harrigran

Priceless , so true.

durhamjen Sun 10-Apr-16 17:39:57

Whether you notice or not has nothing to do with whether you object or not, bags.

You really need to be more careful with your criticism.

durhamjen Sun 10-Apr-16 17:42:25

I do find it hard to listen on here. All I can hear are clicks.

Anya Mon 11-Apr-16 07:43:01

Now that is funny grin

Gracesgran Mon 11-Apr-16 12:40:14

I have another question to ask which follows on from the OP. If, and I know not everyone thinks it is a good idea, but if everyone's tax return was in the public domain and open to scrutiny would everyone have to make a return - even if it was a negative one because they were getting benefits?

whitewave Mon 11-Apr-16 13:22:40

No idea gracegran not likely to happen anyway.