Gransnet forums

News & politics

In praise of Hillary Clinton

(9 Posts)
thatbags Tue 12-Apr-16 07:23:55

Best thing I've read yet about the differences between Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton.

For those who can't be arsed to read the article (it is worth it, honest!), this is its essence: She’s a hawkish left-of-center policy wonk. She believes in incremental change and compromise. She’d rather pass a crappy law that has some positive outcomes than watch a great law die in committee. She believes in government, she thinks it does work and can work.

And I learned a new gender-neutral word for waiters/waitresses: waitstaff.

whitewave Tue 12-Apr-16 07:25:38

Clinton will probably get the nomination, but I can't say she has exactly set the world on fire in her previous political posts.

Jane10 Tue 12-Apr-16 07:35:48

I'm always impressed by her speeches. I reckon she's America's best hope.

Alea Tue 12-Apr-16 07:42:37

In the face of Trump (or Cruz) I think she is America's only hope. She will be tough and uncompromising and she does have experience at an international level.
I find it incredible however that the most powerful country in the free world can produce such a paucity of would be Presidential candidates.

obieone Tue 12-Apr-16 08:16:31

I think she will possibly go to jail for her use of non-safe emails about state secrets.

obieone Tue 12-Apr-16 08:18:00

Sorry, I didnt notice the word praise.

thatbags Tue 12-Apr-16 09:41:18

I think you've hit on the main message of the article, ww: she's a plodder, someone who gets on with a job in difficult circumstances, rather than someone who would 'set the world on fire'. They've just had one of those: Obama. And he hasn't, really, has he? That's not a criticism of him. It's an acceptance of reality on the political stage.

obieone Tue 12-Apr-16 09:42:15

I think the crop is so poor, because it costs so so much to run a campaign. Most have to rely on dubious sources of revenue to be able to continue such a long time with it all.

thatbags Tue 12-Apr-16 09:42:22

Ideals are all very well but if you want to achieve something in politics, you have to compromise a lot.