Gransnet forums

News & politics

EU referendum and older voters

(109 Posts)
Tricia89 Thu 28-Apr-16 11:38:16

The polls say that most older voters will vote Brexit. During a (heated) discussion about this my daughter told me that older people shouldn't be able to vote, as they won't live long enough to face the consequences. You may guess.that I'm for Brexit and she is Remain. What do others think about her viewpoint?

Jalima Mon 02-May-16 10:46:14

my page 2 must be different to yours gangy5!!
I will find it, though.

And - don't always believe the polls, Tricia89 smile

gangy5 Mon 02-May-16 10:24:39

Yes I agree Jalima djen's post of Friday 29th April (top of page 2) sums things up 'sweetly' and succinctly. June 23rd can't come quickly enough.

Jalima Mon 02-May-16 10:08:45

I missed out a word whitewave grin
ie I may have experience of life but my typing needs more practice!

whitewave Mon 02-May-16 10:03:17

hmm

Jalima Mon 02-May-16 10:01:46

Is that
(even if the typing is not up to scratch)

Jalima Mon 02-May-16 10:00:29

What many young people fail to realise that with age comes experience.

Anya Mon 02-May-16 09:21:30

Let's not get into a discussion about DJ's sensitivities Welshlife please.

annsixty Mon 02-May-16 09:19:25

I haven't asked or been asked by anyone about how I or they will vote. My H doesn't even know there is a vote although 5 years ago he would have read about and discussed the matter with me and his Friday group of men friends.
I think that like me he would have the view that most of us are looking for totally unbiased facts and opinions and those are very very few.

thatbags Mon 02-May-16 08:58:48

Sensitivity works both ways. The last time I read the phrase "why are you being so sensitive?" it was directed at me. By durhamjen. I can't remember what or why. It doesn't matter now.

Welshwife Mon 02-May-16 08:43:52

I am not surprised that Jen became upset at a remark about browbeating - it was uncalled for and probably written in haste but I did not consider Jen to be extra sensitive.
This forum would not be such an interesting place without her.

Anya Mon 02-May-16 08:37:34

I'm still undecided and I've not discussed this with anyone in real life. I'm totally swayed by both sides and I suspect many people feel as I do.

But returning to the OP I am furious and disgusted that anyone should seek to disenfranchise us 'older' people. Just another example of the ageism which is creeping into society today.

thatbags Mon 02-May-16 08:25:54

I'm not voting Brexit because of immigration.

whitewave Mon 02-May-16 08:00:52

Yesterday it was reported that both sides haves now decided to concentrate on the argument with which their voters are voting for them.
Brexit is concentrating on immigration. That is the reason put forward by the voter.
Remain - the economy.

thatbags Mon 02-May-16 07:39:24

We can only judge a person's tendency to browbeat in GN discussions from what we see on Gransnet unless we have got to know them personally off GN. That some GNers find the comments and postings of certain other GNers fit onto what might be called the "ultra committed" or "browbeating" end of the spectrum is not a reflection on those persons' families. It is a reflection on the postings of the posters in question.

Jalima Sun 01-May-16 23:32:41

What is the definition of "older voters"?
Good question absent

Someone who remembers the UK before the EEC, who remembers all the kerfuffle about joining.
Perhaps someone who voted in the referendum last time? That was 1975 - did we have to be 21 in those days? So born 1954 or before?

Elegran Sun 01-May-16 23:29:00

dj why are you being so sensitive? It's not like you. No-one is being rude about you or your friends and family as far as I can see. I was saying that if someone who was really keen on one party or policy were to raise the subject with me, I would not argue - I would be non-committal and then vote as I wanted, not as they would like to persuade me into. Voting is not a matter of how someone's opinion or position can change someone else's. It is a matter of "what I want" as a result of "what I have found out and considered^.

That is why I don't get into political arguments on here about who is right and who is wrong. Not because of apathy, or because I don't care whether this or that doctrine will take the country to wrack and ruin, but because I don't wish to waste my breath in blowing hot air around. There is too much of that already.

Jalima Sun 01-May-16 23:28:36

Bring on the Cornish pasties and scones, jam and cream whitewave and I'm sure we'll all get on a treat!
Um, trying to think what I could bring, oatcakes? No? I'll make the brew

absent Sun 01-May-16 23:28:21

What is the definition of "older voters"?

Jalima Sun 01-May-16 23:24:41

The only place I argue about politics is on here! whitewave I clash with DB sometimes (we mostly avoid discussing politics) but I find that I might take the opposite view to him just because he is DB (even if I secretly agree with him). grin

durhamjen Sun 01-May-16 22:52:13

Why do you think it's okay to be rude about me and my family and their friends?
I do not demand answers from anyone.
If they wish to state that they want us to stay in the EU, they can. That's all!
I do not demand to know why.

I resent this implication that I browbeat my family and their friends into confessing or otherwise. In fact I've had enough of this bloody forum altogether.

rosesarered Sun 01-May-16 22:26:57

Of course we would, I'm charming.Order the coffees and cakes now.smile

Ana Sun 01-May-16 22:26:36

I think most of us would. But certainly not all!

whitewave Sun 01-May-16 22:22:47

I often wonder if those absolutely opposing each other met whether we would get on at a personal level. I bet to our chagrin we wouldsmile

rosesarered Sun 01-May-16 22:03:19

Yes, the joy of the Internet, looking at funny cat videos and starting arguements with strangers! grin

Elegran Sun 01-May-16 22:01:58

thatbags Am I too unsubtle?