Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ken Livingstone

(380 Posts)
Ana Sat 30-Apr-16 22:08:03

What a prat!

I can't believe no one's started a thread about this, and the effect his ill-considered words are having on the Labour Party.

durhamjen Wed 04-May-16 20:38:09

So did you agree with what Cameron said?

rosesarered Wed 04-May-16 20:20:41

I am not criticising Goldsmith and am not criticising Khan for sharing a platform with somebody ( read my post) was merely saying what Cameron said at PMQ's today.
There is a lot of jumping to conclusions on this forum.

Anniebach Wed 04-May-16 20:08:54

Because Goldsmith is a Tory he is above criticism , yes rosesarered ?

durhamjen Wed 04-May-16 19:18:21

Roses, why are you not criticising Goldsmith for sharing a platform with the same man?

whitewave Wed 04-May-16 18:13:11

Perhaps Cameron and Goldsmith could also get their facts straight.

rosesarered Wed 04-May-16 18:01:55

Corbyn could easily have refuted the 'friends' claim if he had wanted to do so at PMQ's today.He could have said ' of course they are not friends, it was just the terminology I used' ..... It begs the question then, why did he NOT say that?

whitewave Wed 04-May-16 17:59:52

That's because he called him "dodgy" I could think of something much more suitable.

rosesarered Wed 04-May-16 17:59:29

Get the facts right! Cameron did not say that Khan supported terrorists, but that he shared a platform with a couple ofsuspects, ( on more than one occasion )and one of them being the man who trained the 7/7 bombers.

Anniebach Wed 04-May-16 17:11:19

Cameron can accuse a fellow MP of supporting terrorists but Dennis is not allowed to say he thinks Cameron is dodgy

granjura Wed 04-May-16 16:40:34

Does anyone believe that Trump's accusations that Cruz's father was involved in JFK's murder, whipped up by the Press- was a coïncidence- really?

whitewave Wed 04-May-16 16:16:05

Yes I noted what Cameron stood up in parliament and said about Kahn supporting terrorists. Parliamentary privilege stops him being sued I suppose. He simply is hoping some of the mud will stick I guess.

Anniebach Wed 04-May-16 16:09:08

But it's how the Tories fight elections

whitewave Wed 04-May-16 16:03:52

It is all such nonsense.

Anniebach Wed 04-May-16 15:39:04

Ed was anti Semitic ? So one is now anti Semitic if one criticises Israel and a person born a Jew is anti Semitic because they do not trot along to the tabernacle .

God help anyone who eats bacon

daphnedill Wed 04-May-16 14:45:14

I've just spent half an hour browsing Ed Miliband's Facebook page (the luxury of having too much time!) and it's interesting to see that even before the 2015 election, Ed was being attacked as antisemitic. Eh?

Anniebach Wed 04-May-16 14:09:01

Not forgetting KL was interviewed by a Jew

granjura Wed 04-May-16 14:07:00

Can't wait to see the Conservatives and UKIP do the same with anti-Muslims, must say. It's going to be a massive clear-out...

rosesarered Wed 04-May-16 13:40:14

Timing? Did Ken say what he did to sabotage elections? Hardly.
Stupid to take things personally, the elements of anti-semites in the Labour Party do not reflect badly on other individuals.However, to try and deny the whole thing, rather than accept that yes,there are some and they need rooting out is just hiding heads in the sand.

obieone Wed 04-May-16 13:24:57

I dont think Labour members do themselves any favours in trying to downplay things.
Fair enough questioning the timing though.

granjura Wed 04-May-16 13:23:21

No Ana- but they knew just what buttons to press- and he allowed himself to fall right for it out of sheer annoyance and exasperation. Not excusing him.

obieone Wed 04-May-16 13:22:45

Perhaps they thought they would shut up, but dont see the need now?

Anniebach Wed 04-May-16 13:11:02

So long standing , senior members of the Labour Party supported a leader who is a Jew until 2015 then suddenly became racist and anti Semitic . I think the rabbi is strengthening the 'don't criticise Israel ' brigade

Anniebach Wed 04-May-16 13:06:09

True granjura, why wait until now to attack Naz, why not when she was standing in the election,

Why no condemnation of Goldsmith using the bombed London bus in an attempt to gain votes , because Naz criticised Israel, Goldsmith attacked a man who is a Muslim

grumppa Wed 04-May-16 13:05:16

The Chief Rabbi referred to "senior and long-standing members of the Labour Party", and to "anti-semitism in the Labour Party". He did not refer loosely to just "the Labour Party".

I don't think his line of reasoning about Judaism and Zionism is very helpful or convincing, and in accusing DL and Malia Boattia of presumption he comes across as being as arrogant as he implies they are, but I am no expert in Judaism.

Ana Wed 04-May-16 13:03:59

You mean Ken was in on it...? hmm