Gransnet forums

News & politics

Electoral Fraud investigation

(206 Posts)
JessM Sun 08-May-16 19:44:15

Not sure that this has had much coverage but it's a potentially explosive issue in Westminster. It's alleged that, during the 2015 campaign, the Tory party failed to account properly for expenditure. There are strict spending limits per candidate and they are supposed to declare everything. The allegation is that Tory central office bussed in squads of activists to work on behalf of local candidates and that the expenditure on hotel bills etc was not shown on the constituency accounts.
Grant Shapps was in charge of the bus full of activists - joint party chairman at the time. He has recently said that accounting for the expenditure was not his responsibility - thus passing the blame on to the current party chairman.
See this article for the constituencies which might be involved.
www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eight-police-forces-launch-investigations-into-tory-general-election-2015-fraud-accusations-a7017976.html

Jalima Mon 09-May-16 19:11:38

It depends if you're driving down from the Northern Powerhouse, it could be a bit to the right grin

Port or starboard as DH would ask

Jalima Mon 09-May-16 19:12:56

then again, the Northern Powerhouse (could get used to this phrase) does stretch right across from coast to coast (now, there's a walk and a half!) so it could be port or starboard hmm depending on which road you take

Jalima Mon 09-May-16 19:14:45

It just makes me think of a big power station, cooling towers steaming, plonked in the middle of the Northern countryside.

durhamjen Mon 09-May-16 19:42:34

They've closed that one down, Jalima.

daphnedill Mon 09-May-16 20:07:58

Ahem! Have you ever been to Tatton, dj? It could have been transported from somewhere in Surrey. The numpties had Neil Hamilton as their MP, for goodness sake.

I was born in the North, but have lived in the South East all my adult life. I've been quite shocked how much prejudice there is about people 'oop north'.

My daughter went to Manchester Uni and I thought it was a joke when my ex-MIL advised her against going to a northern city, but it wasn't - she meant it. Since then, my daughter has decided to settle in Manchester and is becoming a proud Mancunian. She loves it and is beginning to understand what I've been bleating on about Northern values. I think there is a North/South divide and I much prefer the values of the North.

As for the 'Northern Powerhouse', I have a horrible feeling it's an excuse to cut Manchester's overall budget and then blame Manchester's local government when people complain about cuts.

durhamjen Mon 09-May-16 20:16:35

It is, but the Northern Powerhouse is supposed to include Cumbria, Yorkshire and the North East. You wouldn't think so at the moment.
The man in charge is the MP for Stockton South; that's the only sop to the North East.
Yes, I've been to Tatton. My husband once worked over there for Taylor Woodrow, and was put up in a hotel in Knutsford for a month. The family were still living in Peterborough, fortunately, because they closed the office down and told him he would have to work in London after six months.
Talking about Tatton, just been reading this.

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/05/09/will-george-osborne-survive-the-june-24-reshuffle/

durhamjen Mon 09-May-16 20:19:20

My granddaughter has been at Salford university, and has just got her first teaching job in Stockport.
But being from the north anyway, we didn't have those prejudices.
When I was talking about the powerhouse closing down, I meant at Knottingley, just off the A1.

rosesarered Mon 09-May-16 20:26:28

How strange, I am from the North and have never experienced any prejudice living in the South ( about people from 'oop North) none at all.
'Northern values'? No different to Southern, Eastern, Western or central values.
Let us not make out that the North is better in some indefinable way, because it isn't.

GandTea Mon 09-May-16 20:35:11

I am also from the North, living in the South, never had any prejudiced whatsoever. Quite the opposite in fact, I get prejudice from a few Northerners because I live in the South.

durhamjen Mon 09-May-16 20:45:43

Has anyone actually said the North is better?

Will you admit to it being different?

Jalima Mon 09-May-16 20:46:19

Are you a southerner, Jalima?
No
I merely questioned the naming of the project rather than its concept.

GandTea Mon 09-May-16 20:47:35

Before I get accused of lying, that should have been "lived" not "living" as I now live in the east.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 09-May-16 21:11:05

I thought it was a gas company.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 09-May-16 21:12:44

More likely to be leccie I suppose.

We used to have a Southern Electricity Board. Dunno what happened to them. confused

durhamjen Mon 09-May-16 21:15:43

Got privatised.

thatbags Mon 09-May-16 21:16:02

Didn't Southern become Southern and Scottish?

Jalima Mon 09-May-16 21:23:43

Scottish and Southern Energy I think
Must skip the geographical areas in between grin

durhamjen Mon 09-May-16 21:33:28

See their vans around, though.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 09-May-16 21:34:10

Oh yes. So that's what SSE stands for. I have wondered. Vaguely.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 09-May-16 21:35:17

Yeah! What about all that lot in between? confused

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 09-May-16 21:36:51

I am half Northern. So they told me. smile

It's in me blood. [proud]

durhamjen Mon 09-May-16 21:37:39

www.channel4.com/news/labour-mp-new-devon-cornwall-pcc-should-not-take-oath
I agree. Not until the fraud investigation is over - and maybe not then, depending on the outcome.

durhamjen Wed 11-May-16 19:28:29

you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/suspend-from-parliament-conservative-mps-suspected-of-election-fraud

Petition to stop those MPs who are being investigated from voting on any parliamentary business.

Eloethan Wed 11-May-16 20:09:01

There are always people - whether in the south, north, east or west - who will look down their noses at people living in different areas. I think they are the minority and it isn't very productive to focus on small-minded people like that.

durhamjen Thu 12-May-16 15:11:14

www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/12/conservatives-court-campaign-spending-details-electoral-commission

It hasn't blown over yet , then. Going to be taken to court over it.