Gransnet forums

News & politics

He who is not for me is against me.

(8 Posts)
obieone Mon 23-May-16 19:26:57

obstinate and perseverence are not the same at all.
Obstinate involves someone trying to stop you, perserverance doesnt.

TriciaF Mon 23-May-16 18:10:53

Laurence Stern - I once read Tistram Shandy, a very strange book, but liked the one he wrote about his travels in France etc. An original thinker.

TriciaF Mon 23-May-16 18:07:16

"...Generally ..... we can all agree with what politicians say in their public statements" .....
My husband would not agree with that Granny23. You should hear him shouting at the radio - "Load of lies" etc.
Perhaps better not.
But you're right that their actions betray their real motives.

Granny23 Mon 23-May-16 10:29:37

It's not what they SAY but rather what they actually DO that matters. Generally, apart from the odd slip of the tongue, we can all agree with what Politicians say in their public statements, or perhaps, we hear what we want to hear (as in the first quote). What they actually DO or have done is often diametrically opposed to what the say or have said.

thatbags Mon 23-May-16 10:16:55

He's spot on.

I think the modern tendency to go in for "identity politics" is something he would have warned against too. And judging people (I'm thinking of politicians mainly, but not only) by who they are rather than what they say.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 23-May-16 09:59:58

sorry about the rogue exclamation mark

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 23-May-16 09:58:58

Isn't it called "having the strength of your convictions"? Where we would we be if politicians and other public 'advisors' couldn't!' make their minds up?

Oh yes. Exactly where we are now. hmm

Elegran Mon 23-May-16 09:39:02

I have just found some quotes by Laurence Stern (24 November 1713 – 18 March 1768 an Irish novelist and an Anglican clergyman) which perfectly describe party politics and other polarising dogma.

"It is in the nature of an hypothesis, that once a man has conceived it, that it assimilates everything to itself, as proper nourishment; and, from the first moment of your begetting it, it generally grows stronger by everything you see, read, hear, or understand."

"It is a great pity but tis certain from every day's observation of man, that he may be set on fire like a candle, at either end, provided there is a sufficient wick standing out."

and "'Tis known by the name of perseverance in a good cause, and of obstinacy in a bad one" or perhaps, of perseverance if you concur, of obstinacy if you don't.