Gransnet forums

News & politics

Go, Boris!

(120 Posts)
thatbags Sun 12-Jun-16 08:05:29

Until the EU referendum reared its head I never gave Boris Johnson a second thought; he was outwith my political focus. I think now that he's a good guy. Just as Jeremy Corbyn is a good guy.

Some of you will trash this opinion of mine and reduce any following discussion to playground sniping, but if anyone's interested, here's a really good, long, interesting article about Boris by Tim Shipman from today's Sunday Times. It's called the Magazine Interview for anyone who gets the hard copy.

It would be nice if this thread didn't turn into another EU ref for and against thread. What I'm really interested in is people's views of prominent politicians as people rather than as politicians. Are people you've often disagreed with politically still good people? Can they be seen as having good motives even when you disagree with their politics?

durhamjen Mon 13-Jun-16 20:09:35

This is interesting. The first time I've seen it.

www.writetothem.com/stats

You can check your MP to see how often they respond to queries from constituents.

durhamjen Mon 13-Jun-16 18:29:15

Did you see Hilary Benn a couple of nights ago? He really reminded me of his dad. Same mannerisms. Can't remember what he was on, but I remember thinking I hope some Brexiters are watching this.

trisher Mon 13-Jun-16 18:24:34

Just thought I could sum it up as
Boris-great charm, loads of personality but doubtful principles and integrity
Corbyn-Great principles and integrity but not as charming.
Tony Benn- great principles, great charm, fantastic integrity

thatbags Mon 13-Jun-16 18:22:10

Ditto re Tony Benn, trisher. An admirable man.

trisher Mon 13-Jun-16 18:20:45

This is turning into an EU debate again. Just as a change of subject I really liked Tony Benn. I heard him talk about human rights and his anti war speeches were great. Interestingly enough I probably wouldn't have agreed with him about the EU but he was a man of great conviction and honesty.

rosesarered Mon 13-Jun-16 18:12:34

He is 'damning with faint praise' djen and it's rather obvious to all.

durhamjen Mon 13-Jun-16 18:09:00

But he's changed his mind, roses. Isn't he allowed to?

How many people on here are criticising him for saying he's only 75% in, but are only 50-70% in themselves?
All those EU quizzes you've been doing? Anyone got 100%?
I got 90+ in every one I've done yet, but I haven't been an MP, so do not know what I would think if I had to listen to 650 MPs going on about it.

Ana Mon 13-Jun-16 18:06:10

roses! grin

Ana Mon 13-Jun-16 18:05:07

Nobody has said they want him to 'tell lies'. It's a pity that there seems to be no genuine conviction or passion in his support for the Remain campaign - almost as though he CBA...

rosesarered Mon 13-Jun-16 18:03:51

No,he should be honest and say we would be better leaving.smile

durhamjen Mon 13-Jun-16 18:01:07

I am not disappointed in him.
He wants us to remain for completely different reasons.
Strangely enough, Cameron has decided to step back and let Labour take over so they get their message across.

Hilary Benn gave a good speech today.
Gordon Brown gave a good speech today.

This is an interesting article by Peter Preston on campaigning.

www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jun/12/bbc-fairness-not-balance-one-side-lying-brexit

Brexit keep on with their £350 million a week because even a rebuttal gets them more air time on the news.

Do you really want Corbyn to tell lies to get more votes? Can you imagine what the Tories would say about him then after the referendum?

rosesarered Mon 13-Jun-16 17:46:11

Corbyn says he is 70/75 % in favour of Remaining...hardly a ringing endorsement, but better than he has done up to now.It's too late now anyway.

trisher Mon 13-Jun-16 17:37:22

But surely politics is about thinking how certain goals can be achieved and saying this. So even though your goal might be the same as another party's you might substantially disagree about the method to be used.

Tegan Mon 13-Jun-16 17:34:11

Have to say I agree with you varian sad.

varian Mon 13-Jun-16 17:25:59

I am disappointed in Jeremy Corbyn. This is not the time to score petty party points. He is letting down the Labour party, the Remain campaign and the country.

Jalima Mon 13-Jun-16 16:20:02

I think he has slanted his speech to be anti-Tory, a pity really, because they all have the same aim in mind - Remain.

varian Mon 13-Jun-16 16:16:00

Surely politics should be about more than opposing everything that your opponents promote. Where politicians of different parties actually agree on an issue they should appear on the same platform and say so.

Tim Farron, Natalie Bennett and Harriet Harman have all appeared on the same platform as David Cameron to speak passionately in support of Remain. What a pity Jeremy Corbyn did not join them. Some issues are too important to refuse to co-operate.

durhamjen Mon 13-Jun-16 16:07:14

Now you can see why a precis is not enough.

Jalima Mon 13-Jun-16 16:05:50

Thanks djen
Interesting

durhamjen Mon 13-Jun-16 15:56:25

He has said why lots of times, Jalima.
I know you say you want a precis, but the full speech is good.

labourlist.org/2016/04/europe-needs-to-change-but-i-am-voting-to-stay-corbyns-full-speech-on-the-eu/

If you read it, you will not be able to say again that you do not know why he changed his mind.
It also shows why he cannot share a platform with Cameron.

Ana Mon 13-Jun-16 15:44:29

My 'open and honest' was tongue-in-cheek, in case you've misinterpreted that as well, durhjamjen.

Jalima Mon 13-Jun-16 15:44:16

I would like to know why he changed his mind though. Perhaps trisher can precis it?
And it can't be just 'workers' rights'.

Jalima Mon 13-Jun-16 15:41:40

By the time I have typed something several posts could have appeared in between.

All the right notes but not necessarily in the right order

durhamjen Mon 13-Jun-16 15:36:29

Okay, Jalima. That's what it looked like.
GN sometimes gets like that Two Ronnies answering the previous question on Mastermind sketch.

Jalima Mon 13-Jun-16 15:32:39

Not me djen!!

Unless you think that by But not quite I meant I agreed with someone's else's remark to that effect.
By But not quite I meant that not all had been deleted.
Like GN - it's all out there for ever
Scary thought