Gransnet forums

News & politics

I'm scared

(20 Posts)
Badenkate Sun 12-Jun-16 19:37:27

I've been a member of the Labour party for years and have gone out leafleting etc around here, which is the safest Tory seat in the country, without any worries. I am in the Stay In the EU camp and I've offered to deliver leaflets door-to-door, and I'm getting worried about it. I know people who have had Stay In posters in their cars and have been approached by people who have threatened to break their windows if they don't take them out. There are NO posters up for Stay In anywhere around for the same reason.

What have we become that part of the population is frightened to state their opinion? I seem to remember that the same things were said in the Scottish referendum..

Anniebach Sun 12-Jun-16 19:51:24

That's awful BadenKate

Tizliz Sun 12-Jun-16 19:59:56

There was no trouble here in the Scottish referendum and the Highlands had a very close vote, can't remember exactly but something like 49% to 51%. All discussions were very civilised.

whitewave Sun 12-Jun-16 20:02:43

Oh I understood that there was a little difficulty here and there in Scotland

Elegran Sun 12-Jun-16 20:28:41

Seized on by the press and made much of, as usual.

daphnedill Sun 12-Jun-16 20:34:09

I hope you're OK, Badenkate. it really is a sad state of affairs when people make those kind of threats.

I won't invoke Godwin's Law grin by mentioning that this kind of thing has happened before.

This is a straightforward political choice, not something anybody can ever ever justify violence to achieve.

Tegan Sun 12-Jun-16 21:15:15

I wore my 'I'm In' badge yesterday and had a nice conversation with a waiter at a café about it, but chickened out of wearing it when I went to Westfield to do some shopping today sad. I have seen no 'I'm In' posters anywhere. I gave up collecting for Christian Aid many years ago because I got fed up of people going on about giving money to foreigners sad. Elegran; wasn't Jim Murphy shouted down and either spat or had eggs thrown at him during the Scottish Referendum?

Jane10 Sun 12-Jun-16 21:35:25

Things were really nasty at the time of the Scottish referendum. People were absolutely afraid and too intimidated to show in any way that they were pro the union. It certainly wasn't just the media (sorry that I am to disagree with Elegran on any point). Maybe it depended on where people lived or worked that it was most marked.

dramatictessa Sun 12-Jun-16 21:46:50

You must live where I live badenkate. Put a blue rosette on a dead donkey and it would be elected. I doubt you'll be physically attacked but you should be prepared for argument/heated debate. But if you are scared could you take someone with you?

Badenkate Sun 12-Jun-16 22:04:48

It's rather depressing to think I need a bodyguard. I'm not really worried physically but I can't do confrontation and it's the thought of people being verbally aggressive that's worrying me. I know it's pathetic but that's me.

annodomini Sun 12-Jun-16 22:08:21

I was cheered to see a couple at the Waitrose checkout, both wearing 'remain' tee shirts.

dramatictessa Sun 12-Jun-16 22:11:08

I took my grandson with me last time I leafleted, not for protection I hasten to add (he's just a toddler! ) but because I had done my usual thing of leaving it to the last minute and I was looking after him that day. He loved it, and got lots of smiles from those who were in when they got their leaflet.

Badenkate Sun 12-Jun-16 22:22:27

Can I borrow him dramatictessa wink

Elegran Mon 13-Jun-16 07:52:40

Tegan - There were incidents during the referendum, but the egg that hit Jim Murphy was wielded (not thrown) by someone who “ . . .lives overlooking the scene and went down to take part and ask Mr Murphy a question."^

“He was irritated that he didn’t get a response and there was an altercation with a photographer who he thought was an official photographer and he got in a bit of a state."

"MacKenzie handed himself in after press reports on the attack. When he was charged, he said: “I’d like to apologise to Mr Murphy and for bringing the Yes campaign into disrepute unintentionally’."

^"Cranston said his client was a Yes supporter but denied
being part of any “organised disruption” of Murphy’s tour."^

www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/crime/indy-thug-said-egged-jim-4169121#g2qQ2vGVAD8xibZy.99

Devorgilla Mon 13-Jun-16 09:41:05

I live in a city which has a Labour MP but a Coalition Council. In my street we have four 'Remain' Labour posters up and no trouble so far. Two are our ones. There is also a 'Remain' poster in a flat behind us. I haven't really seen any others for either side but I think people just don't nail their political colours to the mast in this part of the UK, unlike London and the North of Ireland where they do. My daughter campaigns religiously in North London most nights/weekends when not at work for 'Remain' and has not suffered any unpleasantness. Trouble is some people are very 'precious' about their opinions these days and assume they, and they alone, know the right decision. Reasoned argument seems to have died in the UK, mainly I think fuelled by the 'knee jerk' reaction press.

Gracesgran Mon 13-Jun-16 09:55:15

What a sad state of affairs. I am aware of one of one forum (for older people) where every single "remain" member has either left or is not posting currently. I think even some of the "leavers" on here would be shocked with some of the comments, mainly from older men.

"leavers", in some places, may be bullying people into being quiet "remainers" but those people still have the same number of votes – one – that a “leaver” does.

Tegan Mon 13-Jun-16 09:56:27

There's evidence of people twittering to say where Jim Murphy was going to be next so it did appear to be organised in some way sad.

Jayh Mon 13-Jun-16 09:56:43

I am sorry that you felt intimidated during the Scottish referendum, Jane. That wasn't my experience but to be fair, I didn't canvass or join any demonstrations. As we know from these forums, for every opinion expressed there will be an equal and opposite reaction.
Such is life.

Badenkate Wed 15-Jun-16 18:36:58

Delivered first lot of leaflets today. I couldn't borrow dramatictessa's toddler, but I played the sympathy card by limping around with a stick - I've twisted my knee doing an exercise DVD sad. Probably helped that most people were out at work! Whatever, I survived. Out again tomorrow

Tegan Wed 15-Jun-16 18:47:54

No, you mean 'In' again tomorrow smile. The S.O. and I watched each other hawk like as we filled in our postal votes yesterday in case we put a cross in the wrong box. With having no 'proper' names to latch onto I, for one, keep getting my ins and outs mixed up. We then drove to the council offices with our votes and I insisted on seeing the receptionist put them into the ballot box [paranoid, moi?]. Would help you with your leafleting if I could; we've had nothing through the letter box here.