Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ken Clarke

(13 Posts)
nigglynellie Sun 19-Jun-16 13:36:36

He wore Hush Puppies too! I can remember my stepfather thinking that they were quite awful!! In could never quite gather why, effeminate maybe? I just used to laugh at such a silly prejudice!!!! Can't go along with the jazz though, not for me, but each to their own!!

mrshat Sun 19-Jun-16 13:11:23

I have a lot of time for Ken Clarke, an old boy from Nottingham High School.

annodomini Sun 19-Jun-16 13:07:07

It was Nicholas Soames, reading (bizarrely enough) from the Chinese People's Daily on his i-Pad, who revealed that Ken Clarke would retire after the next election.

annodomini Sun 19-Jun-16 13:07:06

It was Nicholas Soames, reading (bizarrely enough) from the Chinese People's Daily on his i-Pad, who revealed that Ken Clarke would retire after the next election.

gettingonabit Sun 19-Jun-16 12:53:53

I admire him too. He seems genuine, with a down to earth character. And he loves jazz! He must be okgrin

Alea Sun 19-Jun-16 12:30:52

Like you Jalima my first thought was "oh no, not another of the good guys".
One of those politicians who I think fitted what Thatbags said about a good person, even if one does not necessarily share his politics. Friends in Nottingham also said an excellent and universally respected MP.

nigglynellie Sun 19-Jun-16 12:27:00

I am of his party and always admired him tremendously. As has been said he conducts a political argument in a now sadly old fashioned, civilised fashion. Many years ago, I was very hopeful that he would lead the Conservative party, but sadly that was not to be. I think the death of his wife has been difficult for him, she was such a rock for so many years.

Nonnie1 Sun 19-Jun-16 12:25:38

Ahh Ken Clarke. One of the good uns

annsixty Sun 19-Jun-16 10:36:10

He is also not of my persuasion but I also respect him and a politically minded friend used to live in his constituency and got to know him quite well. She was full of admiration for him. I think his wife died recently, he maybe misses her and the family life she gave him.

Devorgilla Sun 19-Jun-16 10:22:56

I hadn't heard that but I am not surprised. He is of that age now. I too will miss him although he is not of the party I support. He is one of the old school for me who actually know how to conduct a proper political discussion. I am not in favour of an unelected upper house but he would be an asset to it in any form.

Anniebach Sun 19-Jun-16 10:02:35

I don't know Jalima, it was said on the Andrew Marr show this morning , they didn't say - the next election, which is the usual statement but after the election, I missed which newspaper they were quoting from. Sorry if I brought on a 'oh no' for you , I have always had respect for him and although he is now on the back benches I will miss him. Hope he will still pop up on QT .

Jalima Sun 19-Jun-16 09:54:06

I opened this OP with trepidation, thinking oh, no.

Presumably after this coming referendum, or the next election Annie?
Do politicians ever truly retire? Let's hope not in his case anyway

Anniebach Sun 19-Jun-16 09:50:38

It was said this morning Ken Clarke is to retire after the election. I will miss him , hope he will stay in politics and go to the Lords . I don't agree with his politics but I respect him and compared the bunch on the Tory benches now he is a voice of reason