Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sit-in over US gun control

(24 Posts)
Luckygirl Wed 22-Jun-16 22:02:29

www.google.co.uk/#q=sit-in+on+gun+control+in+US

This looks interesting.

tanith Wed 22-Jun-16 22:14:18

Well its different for sure, I hope someone listens.

Indinana Wed 22-Jun-16 23:01:00

Saw this today - it broke my heart

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 22-Jun-16 23:49:37

I hope others join them. It will take something special to get change. The Republicans have turned off the cameras, but that's not going to help in the age of social media.

Indinana I saw that yesterday. Very sad. sad

ninathenana Thu 23-Jun-16 06:59:46

Yes, a very sad photo. When will they see sense.

NanaandGrampy Thu 23-Jun-16 08:52:23

I could not believe that of the 4 proposed changes of law they could not even agree on the one that would stop the sales of weapons to people on the Known Terrorist list!!!!

Get a grip America !!

rosesarered Thu 23-Jun-16 09:02:03

It beggars belief that they will not listen to sense, not stopping sales to those who are known to have connections to terrorist groups...whaaaat?!

Jane10 Thu 23-Jun-16 09:19:58

The hillbillies must be in charge! How stupid must these people be. Poor Obama. He looked so desperately upset at each mass shooting incident.

whitewave Thu 23-Jun-16 09:33:58

Red Necked Republicans may well be in charge in November. Then the gun laws will be the least of their worries.

Cagsy Thu 23-Jun-16 10:39:39

God help us all then whitewave!

tanith Thu 23-Jun-16 10:48:41

On another forum I use which has a lot of American ladies I asked if they thought at last someone in the Senate would listen and this was the only reply referring to my post..

*They mention gun control, don't they know that criminals will always get guns, but what about the law abiding citizen who needs to protect themselves. They should abide by the laws that are already on the books.*

I thought that just says it all, and this from a lady who is my age and until now I thought a thoroughly nice lady.. they just don't get it do they?

JessM Thu 23-Jun-16 10:58:07

There is a mass delusion going on, combined with a democratic system that is influenced by the donations of the gun lobby.
I was working in the States once. Talked to a nice, intelligent man, chatted about how he taught his baby daughter sign language. He told me that his sister had been shot dead in her home, by her husband, who fled, leaving 3 small children with her body. This nice, intelligent man was still convinced that he was safer with 3 guns in his house than he would be without. That is the mass delusion and hard to shift attitudes.

whitewave Thu 23-Jun-16 10:59:45

Interesting subject though - mass delusion

Blinko Thu 23-Jun-16 11:23:44

Surely we need to take account of the fact that they do not start from a good place. I'm thinking, if every home in the UK was stuffed with armaments, just where would you start? Taking guns from some whilst leaving others armed? Difficult, imo. In this regard, it's a completely different culture in the US.

Disgruntled Thu 23-Jun-16 11:53:57

Let's hope it stays that way, Blinko. We have a horrible habit of copying, following US trends. I read a bit since about a toddler who took a gun out of his mother's handbag and shot his sibling. And he wasn't the first. When will they wake up???

Alidoll Thu 23-Jun-16 11:54:00

Watching Obama immediately after the Orlando killings I saw a man who knew this probably wouldn't be the last time he mourned the senseless deaths at the hands of some loonball with a semi-automatic before he left office completely.

If Trump wins then America is totally doomed. I'm no massive fan of Hilary but dear God, a donkey in a suit and tie would be better than that man as he's totally delusional. The thought of Trump and Boris Johnson having anything to do with running countries is just laughable (but terrifying as well). If Tim Peak wants to be the first Briton on the moon, can they build a colony up there as I sure as hell don't want to be down here!

ninathenana Thu 23-Jun-16 13:40:52

If Trump wins America is totally doomed I'm not a massive fan of Hilary but dear God, a donkey in a suit and tie would be better than that man as he's totally delusional

Totally agree Alidoll

MiniMama Thu 23-Jun-16 13:49:22

I agree ninathenana - it's a frightening prospect- can you imagine Trump and Putin in a face off- neither one would back down and both share a love of guns. sad

Jane10 Thu 23-Jun-16 15:39:28

I think we'd all be doomed if Trump was elected. Imagine his hand on the nuclear button. shock
In other news I was pleased to note the Mexican flags flying on properties adjoining Trump's Scottish golf courses.

millymouge Thu 23-Jun-16 16:02:05

What kind of world are we creating when a 3 year old has to learn what to do that. I think it is hard for us to understand why a large percentage of Americans feel they need to be able to purchase and keep guns. The thing is it is part of their culture and has been for,hundreds of years. Altering the way a whole nation feels will take many generations, and some will fight tooth and nail to keep it the same however many innocent get killed. I personally do not like Clinton but she is the lesser of the two evils in my opinion. I dread to think what it will be like if Trump gets into the White House. sad

Newquay Thu 23-Jun-16 18:52:01

I can't think of any reason at all for anyone to have one of these pump action guns. Country folk needs guns/rifles to shoot vermin but anything else?!
They really do defy belief!

Tizliz Thu 23-Jun-16 19:00:07

millymouge the trouble is that hundreds of years ago all rifles were single shot, some still black powder and not at all accurate. But that is when it was written into their constitution that they had the right to carry arms. A bit of a change since then!

Elegran Thu 23-Jun-16 20:01:38

"Trump and Putin in a face off" What would be good is for them to have a personal shootout in a deserted street, High Noon style.

Nampam Thu 23-Jun-16 21:25:19

We had an American student visiting us last year, a young man. He asked us if we had a gun and when we said no, he was amazed. Couldn't understand why we thought it was a bad idea!!
What gets me is this nonsense that banning guns is interfering with their human rights! What about the rights of the people who have been killed! What happened to their human rights?