Gransnet forums

News & politics

Can I get an Irish passport?

(36 Posts)
suzied Fri 24-Jun-16 08:37:46

In view of Brexit, can I get an Irish passport if I have Irish grandparents ( long dead)? Anyone know?

Bellanonna Mon 27-Jun-16 17:29:20

Daughters both applying for Italian passports. My mother was Irish so I could have an Irish or an Italian passport but I probably won't as we don't plan to go abroad again ( husband's ill health). Interesting just how many people are doing this though.

M0nica Mon 27-Jun-16 16:41:10

It is certainly not a wind up on my part. I was already on the route after we tried to deport an Afghani interpretor and he committed suicide. Brexit has just speeded my decision. Mt sister is doing the same for the same reason.

I am half Irish anyway. I have two Irish Grandparents, but only one was born in Ireland. so being a citizen of both countries is balanced and reasonable.

Judthepud2 Mon 27-Jun-16 15:56:31

Got a form at last!

Judthepud2 Mon 27-Jun-16 15:55:12

The way things are at the moment, it will be about 2 years before the current queue for Irish passports is dealt with. I spent most of the morning trying to get 2 application forms.....like hen's teeth here. PO staff said there has been a huge rush on them.

morethan2 Mon 27-Jun-16 15:03:23

Oh right thanks ladies. I just didn't get it. But won't it be another 2 years before we loose our E.U rights ?

Judthepud2 Mon 27-Jun-16 08:50:20

Morethan it is not a wind up for me. Getting application form today. I was born and live in NI and am entitled to Irish citizenship as well as UK. Given that UK are leaving EU, I would like to have the advantages of still being a citizen of EU. Health care entitlement and easy movement across borders when travelling.

trisher Mon 27-Jun-16 08:11:42

You don't have to renounce one to have the other.

suzied Mon 27-Jun-16 07:58:36

Yes and you could get the reciprocal health care etc. Which presumably will go.

daphnedill Mon 27-Jun-16 07:48:27

The advantage would be that you would still be an EU citizen with all the benefits that brings. As an Irish citizen you would also still have the right to live in the UK.

As your husband is already Irish, there's no advantage to having British nationality, but it could be of benefit to your children, who would then retain freedom of movement within the EU.

morethan2 Mon 27-Jun-16 07:08:07

I'm probably being really thick. I thought this thread was a whine up I'm not so sure now. I'm dissapointment in the result but would never renounce my citizenship. What would be the benefit of having duel nationality? Honestly I don't get it. My children could. My husband is Irish and I've asked him if he would like duel nationality now ( he was in the British army so holds British nationality) but he doesn't understand what the benefits it would give him. Sorry if I have misunderstood this thread

Nandalot Sun 26-Jun-16 21:20:23

My DH could apply as his grandfather was Irish but unfortunately our children and grandchildren would not be eligible because they have to be born after citizenship is granted. We did quite seriously look into this for our son who is married to a Spanish woman and has a family in Spain and works there.

Witzend Sun 26-Jun-16 20:57:06

How do you renounce citizenship anyway, even if you wanted to? You could give up your original passport to the other country's officials, but that wouldn't stop you applying for another any time later.

Officially the US doesn't allow dual citizenship, but my sister took US citizenship after her American husband died, partly because it made the tax situation simpler - she had already lived there a long time. But she always intended to keep her British passport and at the naturalisation ceremony the official even told them that they know a lot of people do this - they just turn a blind eye.

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 25-Jun-16 01:00:31

suzied I read last week that applications for Irish passports is up 25% on last year. It'll be a lot higher now. Lots of people from the north work in the south and they have dual citizenship, so they'll be applying in droves.

Thingmajig I think Denmark is one of the countries that doesn't allow dual citizenship, so you would have to give up your British citizenship.

M0nica that was pretty disgraceful.

M0nica Sat 25-Jun-16 00:45:39

I have been online, checked what details I need and started to go through the family records. I have my father's full birth, marriage and death certificates and my grandfather's wedding certificate. I have only his short birth certificate and have not found a death certificate.

I have told my sister what I am doing and she has decided to apply for Irish citizenship as well.

To be honest it is not just Brexit that has driven me to this. I started making enquiries when I discovered that the government had gone back on its promise to grant asylum to all Afghani and Iraqi interpreters who worked with British forces in their countries and now went in fear of their and their families lives. One man who got to the UK but was about to be deported back to Afghanistan committed suicide. I come from an army family and this kind of treatment for those who worked with our troops made me ashamed to be British.

Judthepud2 Fri 24-Jun-16 20:55:11

Have a look at this website, Suzied which should clarify your entitlement for you.

www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/how-to-apply-for-a-passport/

As I said in the 'yippee we're leaving' post, I have decided to apply for an Irish passport, having been forced out of the EU by the English/Welsh voters. N.Ireland, like Scotland, voted to remain. As I was born in NI I am entitled to dual citizenship. Leaving has major implications for our border situation with ROI.

M0nica Fri 24-Jun-16 16:29:17

Ah, but Denmark and Sweden are nearly as ambivalent about the EU as we have proved to be, they are already being fingered as the next to decide to leave the EU

Thingmajig Fri 24-Jun-16 16:17:00

DD was thinking to move to Finland for some reason, but has now decided on Sweden ... I'm thinking we should get back over to Denmark as hubster is Danish anyway so it would be the obvious choice, and handy for visiting DGD in Sweden if they stay near Malmo!
Better weather there too as it happens! smile

We're currently in Scotland so we'll have the double whammy of no EU and the independence shenanigans all over again.sadsadsad

trisher Fri 24-Jun-16 13:51:18

My Granny had an Irish family but as the youngest I think she was born in the UK, please can I have one anyway??

Nonnie1 Fri 24-Jun-16 13:43:25

daophnedill

I'm ashamed of you.

*English wretch..

daphnedill Fri 24-Jun-16 13:37:47

Arrrggghhh! You lot are making me jealous. I'm stuck in this wretched country. The best I think I can do is move back to Merseyside, where at least they voted Remain.

Welshwife Fri 24-Jun-16 10:39:27

My first husband was Irish (now deceased) does that mean I could apply? My present husband had an Irish father so he will be OK too. DD and DS should be OK and the DGC - DS though is applying for US citizanship this year anyway.

Devorgilla Fri 24-Jun-16 10:30:51

If you or a parent or grandparent was born in Ireland North or South you can get an Irish passport. It used to be a grandparent had to be born there before 1921 when the country was divided but I think they had to relax that. You can find info on this site:

www.dfa.ie/passport

I plan now to apply for mine. I was born there. I also have Scottish ancestry so maybe I can get triple nationality eventually.

M0nica Fri 24-Jun-16 10:26:25

He was, he was born in 1882 when the whole of Ireland was part of the UK and I am currently downloading the citizenship papers.

aggie Fri 24-Jun-16 10:23:46

If your Grandfather was born in Northern Ireland before a certain date ( sorry can't remember ) you can certainly get an Irish Passport . My DD3 got Irish Passports for her Children recently , I was puzzled at the time , but understand now

M0nica Fri 24-Jun-16 10:14:37

If I go far enough back I could probably get Scottish citizenship.

My granfather was Northern Irish with a Scottish surname, which was my maiden name, so I am descended from the Scottish immigrants who moved to Ulster after the Flight of the Earls in 1607.

DH has been told that it is relatively easy to get Costa Rican citizenship, he is considering it. He says he likes their coffee and their is a branch in very towngrin