Gransnet forums

News & politics

Just a thought

(60 Posts)
Outofstepwithhumanity Tue 28-Jun-16 12:48:00

S the fallout from Brexit drags on, (I am proudly wearing a "Don't blame me - I voted IN" badge, I have just been taken to task by a neighbour from the "send em all back to where they came from" school of thought. "They come over here, take our jobs, claim our benefits, can't speak English and have no skills etc.etc." I was struck by the irony as this woman never worked, lived off the proceeds of her husband's earnings (presumably didn't provide enough for pension, as she receives pension credit) Has no skills or qualifications and whose grasp of the English language is far below that of any of my non-British friend. If I were to be similarly uncivil, I might suggest we get rid of her, I would not, of course, but I was tempted!

thatbags Wed 29-Jun-16 22:09:28

I think people are saying that a new PM in the middle of a parliament is not directly elected. When there is a general election the Parties have already chosen their Party leaders so people voting in the election know who will be prime minister if the party they vote for wins the election.

All that is correct. But it is also correct that we, the electorate, do not choose (that is, elect) our government's prime minister by a direct vote. Party members decide Party leaders, not the wider electorate. So the method is not different in the middle of a parliamentary term from the method during a general election. That is what is meant by saying it's not like a presidential election where the whole electorate vote for the country's president.

obieone Wed 29-Jun-16 20:03:03

Blinko grin
Just to lighten the mood!

Elegran Wed 29-Jun-16 19:42:31

But a Prime Ninister is never elected by us to be that, Smithy We don't have a US-style special presidential election for a Prime Minister.

He/she is the leader of the party which gets a majority - chosen to be the leader by that party, not by us, as the person the party is ready to accept.

He/she then forms a government from people they want to help them.

If the Prime Minister resigns, is fired as leader of the party, or dies in office, then whoever takes his/her place at the head of the party with the majority becomes Prime Minister - as the new person the party is willing to accept to lead them.

durhamjen Wed 29-Jun-16 19:19:59

From what I understand, if Boris is chosen there will have to be another election so he has a mandate from the people for his ideas, as he hasn't been in government.
There's always hope.

Smithy Wed 29-Jun-16 19:19:42

It will be an unelected Prime Minister THATBAGS as was Gordon Brown, as he/she will be taking over the mantle without a General Election - unless there is a General Election called in September.
Where can I buy a badge and a flak helmet.

Lilyflower Wed 29-Jun-16 19:18:34

The polarisation of opinion is sad, yes, but I think it has always been with us. What is new is that people now feel entitled to share it more publicly. Clearly, sites like Gransnet and others inviting comment are a place for sharing views.

thatbags Wed 29-Jun-16 19:09:13

outofstep, how will we have an unelected PM? A PM has to be an MP elected by his or her constituents. We have a prime minister, not a president. All government ministers are already elected MPs. The Prime Minister is chosen from the elected MPs of the party in power. This is what will happen to choose Cameron's replacement.

pollyperkins Wed 29-Jun-16 18:27:09

Bluecat-thats exactly what worried me. I dont like where we areheading

Bez1989 Wed 29-Jun-16 17:33:38

Oh please stop arguing ! Lol
If it happens in a little place like this how can we expect nations to live in peace?
Be Kind to One Another. sunshine

Bijou Wed 29-Jun-16 15:37:38

I never worked after I was married just after I left the WAAF in 1946. In those days most wives were housewives. I did all the gardening, grew all our vegetables, did all the decorating, made all my and daughters dresses and coats, knitted all our woollies as well as looking after the children. Was a keen member of the WI and did voluntary work at the mental hospital. I probably worked harder that those who sat all day on their bums in offices and paid others to do a lot of things.

Outofstepwithhumanity Wed 29-Jun-16 15:18:29

Yes Bluecat - sentiments like that are exactly why I posted message in the first place. I share your fear of the rise of the ultra right. They may be in a minority, but a vocal and aggressive minority can so easily sway the views of people like my neighbour who are governed by fear and ignorance.

Bluecat Wed 29-Jun-16 15:04:43

The trouble is, to quote Will Self, "not all who vote Leave are racists, but all racists will vote Leave." There is absolutely no doubt that an ugly taint of xenophobia has run throughout the campaign. (And if you are in any doubt, just wander onto the Daily Mail's online pages...Check out the "Comments" section in particular.) Many people have been motivated by nothing more profound than a deep hatred of anyone perceived to be an immigrant. Anyone whatsoever - not just EU migrants, but also anyone who looks different. Hence the abuse that some Asian people have received, along the lines of "you've got to go back where you came from." (Do some people actually think the Indian sub-continent is part of the EU?) Others clearly think they have voted to keep out Syrian and Afghani refugees...again, since when have those countries been part of Europe?

The most scary thing is the prospect of "referendum contagion", whereby the whole union fractures and far-right, nationalist groups rise to power after successful campaigning on racist platforms. That's not just a left-wing nightmare - some very sober, conservative economists have warned against it, and there is a very real danger that it could happen. We could again face the horror of fascist governments in Europe, and the nations at each other's throats. Maybe not right away, and it may be that our children are the ones who have to face it, but we will be the ones who started the ball rolling.

yattypung Wed 29-Jun-16 14:27:25

I'm with you Rosina....there comes a time when you have to say 'enough is enough'

Rosina Wed 29-Jun-16 12:30:55

I believe in one race - the Human race. I can't condemn anyone who tries to get a better life for their family - so would I given the circumstances that some refugees are having to tolerate. That said, how does anyone think that this tiny island can just keep on accepting hundreds of thousands of people who are straining health, education, transport etc, beyond coping? I read today that the enormous surge in the birth rate is 75% due to immigrants; what kind of effect will this have on us all in a few years? I have a teacher friend who now has, in her class of 28, fourteen children who cannot speak English. Is the answer to just let people keep on coming until this island sinks, or do we perhaps try to limit immigration and help people where they are by building homes and schools in countries ravaged by war? To keep yelling 'racist' at people who suggest other solutions to an open door policy is just downright stupid - try 'realist' instead.

POGS Wed 29-Jun-16 12:17:48

Every bugger and his dog at one time or another is not represented by those they voted for.

It's called democracy.

K8tie Wed 29-Jun-16 12:08:02

As I said in another thread . . . I remain deeply saddened by the highly invective rhetoric and polarisation that is happening across the nation, and within all communities sad

Outofstepwithhumanity Wed 29-Jun-16 11:42:41

P.S. I wear my badge because I feel pretty helpless, I voted Labour all my life & got a Conservative government, I voted "In" & the Out" vote won. I believe in democracy, but no doubt we will soon have an unelected PM, so I feel unrepresented. My username might give a clue as to my pessimism and gloom concerning he state of affairs. It's probably a futile gesture, but at least I can't be blamed if things go tits up. Even if the economy etc. does improve, it will probably not be in the lifetime of us oldies.

Outofstepwithhumanity Wed 29-Jun-16 11:34:35

Several points to answer. Obleone - no, not special needs. Lilyflower - she was having a cup of coffee with me when she embarked on her tirade and thirdly, of course she has a right to visit her GP frequently, but she should not condemn others for doing the same, merely because they were not born in Britain.

Chrishappy Wed 29-Jun-16 11:33:36

I voted OUT as I'm fed up of being bullied by Europe, I don't have a racist bone in my body,I am entitled to my opinion and think in the long run it will be best for Britain. I wouldn't wear a badge saying so at the moment as I feel some fellow countrymen have become bully's towards brexiters and it's not a very nice way to treat another human being. Phew had to get that off my chest

Blinko Wed 29-Jun-16 11:21:27

I'm getting worried now. I can't ride a bike....

Lilyflower Wed 29-Jun-16 11:08:48

Have, not habe. Sorry.

Lilyflower Wed 29-Jun-16 11:08:04

Soryy, emolient, not emmolient.

Lilyflower Wed 29-Jun-16 11:07:27

Surely it is hardly emmolient to be wearing a provocative badge? We should all be 'getting over it' by now and looking forward to the future together. Nothing is going to be done for the good if the Remain camp cannot accept the decision of the democratic vote. If their concerns had been at least listened to and something done to address their justifiable fears instead of their being labelled 'bigot', 'racists' and fascists', perhaps things could have been different.

I am convinced that one of the reasons that the left was defeated in the last election was their abuse of the silent majority and their conflation of ordinary, decent, hardworking, taxpaying people with extremists.

In the same way, the abuse of the Brexiteers by the Remainers is at the heart of the problem which caused the 'out' vote in the first place.

We do not and cannot live in a Utopia. We habe the real world to deal with and hatred and abuse are no way forward.

Take off the badge and make your neighbour a cup of tea. She's probably Ok, if somewhat defensive. And if she does use the NHS then that's her right as her family, through her husband, is paying taxes to maintain it, unlike many others.

WE really are all in this together.

Victoria08 Wed 29-Jun-16 10:24:45

For heavens sake. Enough of this hysteria. !!!!!

Jaxie Wed 29-Jun-16 09:52:30

If I find myself in a nasty critical mood I try, not always with success, to remind myself what ( I think) Martin Luther King said: " Never look down on anybody unless your're helping them up." My problem is not with the illiterate and the poor, but with the smug richies who blunder through life with such confidence and assurance, sneering at those less fortunate. "What does it profit a man if he gains the world but loses his soul"