Gransnet forums

News & politics

Who to replace Corbyn?

(105 Posts)
rosesarered Tue 28-Jun-16 14:53:10

As we have a who to replace Cameron thread, thought we may as well speculate as to who ( if anyone) Labour voters ( or any voters) fancy for the job? Should he go, or should he sweat it out?

daphnedill Wed 06-Jul-16 10:26:16

@trisher

I agree with you about the Ruth Smeeth incident.

My children weren't even born when Thatcher was PM. They've heard of her, but don't really understand what she did or stood for.

trisher Wed 06-Jul-16 10:22:12

I don't think he should have known dd. The questions is if you are rude to someone who is Jewish, but you don't know they are Jewish can you be accused of anti-semitism?
Most people who were kids when Thatcher was in power only know her through documentaries and films most of which show how she was groomed and changed to make a PM. I also think "The Thick of it" has had some influence on opinions about MPs

daphnedill Tue 05-Jul-16 16:39:19

There's a story (possibly a myth) that Attlee and Morrison argued about who was to be PM when Labour won the 1945 election. While Morrison was distracted, Attlee jumped in a taxi to Buck Palace and told the king he was the new PM. Maybe somebody in Labour should do the same.

Anniebach Tue 05-Jul-16 16:28:06

Strange that a Jew run Corbyns leadership campaign and then founded momentum. Can only be one of two explanations

daphnedill Tue 05-Jul-16 16:13:16

@trisher

Why should he have known?

daphnedill Tue 05-Jul-16 16:12:17

My kids (both young voters) don't even remember Thatcher and only vaguely remember Blair. When they were younger, they used to get Cameron and Miliband mixed up hmm. They just knew they were blokes who appeared on the telly from time to time, wore smart suits and talked about politics.

trisher Tue 05-Jul-16 16:07:58

He also claimed not to know she was Jewish.

trisher Tue 05-Jul-16 16:06:37

There is no doubt that Corbyn doesn't come over as media savvy, but perhaps that is his attraction particularly for young people who have grown up with spin doctoring and slickness. They have seen how Margaret Thatcher was coached to make her more PM material, they watched Tony Blair and Cameron with their rehearsed speeches and they are looking for something more honest. Unfortunately I think Corbyn was the best they are likely to get, during the last leader election the trite sound bites that the others regurgitated made you squirm and I can't see anyone else who would be as honest and transparent as Corbyn. I think a party split is probably inevitable.

daphnedill Tue 05-Jul-16 15:59:46

I really don't know what went on. I wasn't at the meeting, have only seen the videos, read as much as anybody else and I must admit I understood the man was a Momentum activist. I read what he reportedly said and can see how it could have been misunderstood, but I wouldn't have thought it bad enough to make an MP (who hopefully is a bit tough) leave the room in tears.

What I really don't understand is how the media was involved so quickly and why somebody didn't go and buy a nice bottle of wine and apologise for any misunderstanding and hurt. We all put our feet in our mouths sometimes.

Anniebach Tue 05-Jul-16 15:58:21

no Yggdrasil

yggdrasil Tue 05-Jul-16 15:43:14

Do you mean you were at the meeting?

Anniebach Mon 04-Jul-16 17:02:15

Because I watched the filming

TriciaF Mon 04-Jul-16 16:23:51

How do you know? The media only report what suits them.

Anniebach Mon 04-Jul-16 16:15:07

He didn't say one word Yggdrasil

yggdrasil Mon 04-Jul-16 16:07:40

I was delighted in 1997 to see a Labour government. Dismay set in almost immediately when he said he would carry on with Thatcher's agenda, and then abolished Clause 4.
By 2003 I was thoroughly disillusioned When all the fuss over WMD started, and we knew very soon it was all a fraud, we were into the war supporting Bush without proper Parliamentary agreement. Then he hung on, and hung on, making it even more difficult for Gordon Brown to change anything. So we were hit by the US banking crisis, and have had nothing but austerity since.
Oh and it wasn't a Corbyn supporter who upset Ruth Smeeth, it was a LibDem. It is very difficult with the current media campaign to hear what Corbyn actually has to say at any time.

Anniebach Sun 03-Jul-16 16:11:15

It can be sorted out daphne, some good will come from this and the Westminster bunch will listen to the workers . What is annoying is with such hatred for
Blair the good done by labour isn't mentioned. Minimum wage act. Human rights act.freedom of information act. Devolution. Good Friday agreement , all under a Blair government . Previous labour government's gave us the N.H.S. Open .university.
Invalidity benefits . Sex discrimination act. Health and safety st work act. Social security act. Supplementary benefits act. Child benefit for single parents. Racial discrimination act and much more

Anniebach Sun 03-Jul-16 15:44:47

Yggdrasil , it will not make any difference to the party. Most of the house voted for the war. Names will not be changed in the report no matter who the leader is. Blair is not an MP . He will have to accept what ever is in the report , this is what I mean by it makes no difference . If everyone who votedi for the war is going to be attacked then unless they entered the house after 2007 the majority can be condemned . I don't understand your reason for supporting labour up to 1997 then going on about the Iraq war which started in 2003. So you disliked Blair for six years before the war , fair enough, but to use the war as your reason is odd

daphnedill Sun 03-Jul-16 15:42:49

ab, If they're not good bedfellows, what's to be done short of splitting the party?

yggdrasil Sun 03-Jul-16 15:25:55

Anniebach, you asked why Chilcot should make a difference. It does depend if after all this time it is full and accurate. I hope Blair will get the message at last that his actions (and non-actions) were very wrong, and that his supporters, who still make up the bulk of the PLP, are not free of blame. Certainly Angela Eagle voted consistently for the war, and also with the Tories on the bombing of Syria recently.
That is not the Labour party I supported up to 1997. And I think that goes for a lot of other people too.

Anniebach Fri 01-Jul-16 19:05:30

Thank you BadenKate, and I agree it was interesting. Yes the white middle class labour MP's and manual workers are not good bed fellows

I can't even post a link

Badenkate Fri 01-Jul-16 16:56:38

Should work this time Anniebach

Badenkate Fri 01-Jul-16 16:55:59

www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/06/dont-blame-jeremy-corbyn-polls-show-only-tory-voters-could-have-kept-us-eu

Tried it again on PC rather than tablet.

Anniebach Fri 01-Jul-16 16:45:23

I couldn't open it BadenKate, sorry

Anniebach Fri 01-Jul-16 16:44:14

Yes Petra, it has been said to me , South Wales has lost faith in the EU, yes they benefit from money from the EU, Wales is classed one of the poorest countries in the EU. Difficult for those outside South Wales to understand, between the coal mines and the steel works they have been robbed of their pride , forced onto benefits and then mocked for being benefit scroungers, they want work not handouts.

Badenkate Fri 01-Jul-16 16:40:15

Maybe you should read the article Anniebach. I just said it was interesting smile