Gransnet forums

News & politics

Vote on Trident

(79 Posts)
Anniebach Mon 11-Jul-16 08:52:31

On 18h July the house will hold the Trident vote . Views?

breeze Mon 18-Jul-16 14:12:55

Ooh Tegan! That’s better than my Blue Peter badge! In an ideal world, wouldn’t multilateral disarmament be wonderful. Sadly, it’s not. We will have to keep Trident, I imagine, as no alternative right now. So better than nothing. We need something to show credibility for NATO membership. Even though our piddling few is no match for the US weaponry, it’s still like a Mexican standoff. Would anyone risk it. We can’t be left undefended. I imagine the vote will be to keep it. And I have to agree, as things stand.

Is anyone else having problems on GN recently? Last few days, my PC keeps dropping (infuriating) have to keep restarting it. But not on any other applications. Haven’t got time to run any checks at the moment as carpets being cleaned (stuff everywhere) and packing for hols. Be interesting to know if it’s just me.

Anniebach Mon 18-Jul-16 14:28:37

It is a waste of money trisher, but the majority feel safer with than without

Tegan Mon 18-Jul-16 14:57:32

'Is anyone else having problems on GN recently? Last few days, my PC keeps dropping (infuriating) have to keep restarting it. But not on any other applications. Haven’t got time to run any checks at the moment as carpets being cleaned (stuff everywhere) and packing for hols. Be interesting to know if it’s just me'..same here [and I think someone else mentioned it also]. But my pc is playing up in general at the moment...worse on gransnet though].When I was in CND and the WDC we were all sure our phones were being tapped shock; maybe we're being watched...

breeze Mon 18-Jul-16 15:03:08

Good to know it's not just me Tegan thanks.

obieone Mon 18-Jul-16 15:06:25

It has helped stop nuclear war. Brilliant.

Tegan Mon 18-Jul-16 15:08:34

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EBfxjSFAxQ

Tegan Mon 18-Jul-16 15:13:52

www.youtube.com/watch?v=p85xwZ_OLX0
...should have been this one...[I think]

Tegan Mon 18-Jul-16 15:15:05

...even that isn't working properly...

breeze Mon 18-Jul-16 15:18:20

Oh Tegan don't! You know I've got a weak bladder. So funny. Reminds me of one of my sons which didn't help! Brilliant.

breeze Mon 18-Jul-16 15:41:59

First one worked, but not if that's the one you meant to send (so funny though) second one didn't.

durhamjen Mon 18-Jul-16 16:09:28

Ihaven't grown up either.

Tegan Mon 18-Jul-16 16:21:28

No, it was meant to be the 'IT Crowd Turn it off and turn it back on again' episode. Reminded me of phoning the helpline at work.

breeze Mon 18-Jul-16 16:26:15

I didn't get that one. I got the fire one. I nearly... well. So funny. Thanks, as I've never watched them. durhamjen No, don't grow up, it's dull!!!!

Not sure if there's any news re Trident. I've said my 'mature' bit earlier. We shall see.

Anniebach Mon 18-Jul-16 16:32:21

Thry sre voting this evening, the vote will go in favour of keeping trident .,

grannyactivist Mon 18-Jul-16 16:35:36

I believe very strongly that Trident should be scrapped, but I think parliament will continue to support this outdated system for all the wrong reasons.

Jane10 Mon 18-Jul-16 16:35:58

My mobile keeps dropping GN just when I've got to a good thread. I was beginning to take it personally so am glad its not just me.

durhamjen Mon 18-Jul-16 17:27:37

Caroline Lucas agrees with Corbyn on Trident, as do the SNP.

vampirequeen Mon 18-Jul-16 18:38:29

Just seen TM on the news saying in no uncertain terms that she will push the button if necessary.

Where will she be when she pushes the button? Oh yes, somewhere safe in a well guarded underground bunker. Where will I, my family and millions of other innocents be? Oh yes, on the surface. If we're lucky we'll be instantly, and hopefully painlessly, vapourised. If we're not so lucky we'll die a lingering painful death from burns and/or radiation poisoning.

What will pushing the button achieve apart from the death of millions of innocent men, women and children? The earth will be poisoned. Civilisation will disappear. Anyone who does survive will have to survive as if in the stone age and who knows what will happen foetuses at the time and for generations to come.

Someone remind me again why we need nuclear weapons.

Anniebach Mon 18-Jul-16 18:49:45

We don't vampire

durhamjen Mon 18-Jul-16 18:54:58

This is from Crispin Blunt, who is a Tory MP and the chair of the foreign affairs committee.

www.blunt4reigate.com/news/full-statement-renewal-trident

trisher Mon 18-Jul-16 22:06:00

It's a bit of a chocolate fireguard isn't it. Looks as if it might be useful and makes you think things will be OK but isn't really any damn use at all.

Anniebach Mon 18-Jul-16 22:09:52

True but the majority want it

Anniebach Mon 18-Jul-16 22:31:27

Votes for - 472. Votes against - 117

vampirequeen Mon 18-Jul-16 22:32:36

The majority of who want it?

durhamjen Mon 18-Jul-16 22:34:46

'That this House supports the government’s assessment in the 2015 National Security Strategy and Strategic Defence and Security Review that the UK’s independent minimum credible nuclear deterrent, based on a continuous at sea deterrence posture, will remain essential to the UK’s security today as it has for over 60 years, and for as long as the global security situation demands, to deter the most extreme threats to the UK’s national security and way of life and that of the UK’s allies; supports the decision to take the necessary steps required to maintain the current posture by replacing the current Vanguard Class submarines with four Successor submarines; recognises the importance of this programme to the UK’s defence industrial base and in supporting thousands of highly skilled engineering jobs; notes that the government will continue to provide annual reports to parliament on the programme; recognises that the UK remains committed to reducing its overall nuclear weapon stockpile by the mid-2020s; and supports the government’s commitment to continue work towards a safer and more stable world, pressing for key steps towards multilateral disarmament.'

This is what they were voting on. Not Trident at all. The vote was on replacing submarines and reducing the stockpile of nuclear weapons. If they have to reduce the number of warheads why do they need to have as many submarines?