Gransnet forums

News & politics

So: what will Cameron's Legacy Be?

(128 Posts)
gettingonabit Sat 16-Jul-16 14:34:21

So-he called an arguably unnecessary referendum, a tactic which ended in personal failure. He highlighted the need for the Big Society, which fell into oblivion. He styled himself as a normal bloke and rode a bike to work, only to be ridiculed when it was noted that his car was following him behind. He was an Old Etonian who surrounded himself with toffs and was accused by a fellow MP of not knowing the price of milk.

He promised change but, on his watch, the gap between rich and poor grew bigger. He oversaw the introduction of gay marriage. He was classed as an articulate speaker but (in my view at least!) was regularly outclassed by "weird" Ed Milliband at PMQs.

That's my take on Cameron's incumbency: what's yours?

durhamjen Wed 26-Oct-16 14:26:03

Really?
Do you know anyone on benefits?

GrandmaMoira Wed 26-Oct-16 13:56:38

Cameron's main legacy will be holding the referendum which has resulted in us leaving the EU. This will be the biggest issue for many years.
Dismantling the welfare state will seem minor in comparison to Brexit, I believe.

GrandmaMoira Wed 26-Oct-16 13:56:37

Cameron's main legacy will be holding the referendum which has resulted in us leaving the EU. This will be the biggest issue for many years.
Dismantling the welfare state will seem minor in comparison to Brexit, I believe.

durhamjen Wed 26-Oct-16 13:32:06

Could this be Cameron's legacy?

www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/26/hammond-80bn-black-hole-economic-worsens-brexit-treasury

Along with pal Osborne, of course.
No wonder they wanted out.

durhamjen Mon 24-Oct-16 10:02:32

Could this be another reason Cameron left, hoping his lies would not be discovered?

www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/23/david-cameron-adviser-craig-oliver-no-10-alarm-holding-offshore-fund-cayman-islands

durhamjen Sat 20-Aug-16 21:23:58

thexrayfactor.wordpress.com/2016/08/16/toxic-legacy-the-decline-and-fall-of-rex-cameron/

Such a big choice.

durhamjen Wed 17-Aug-16 22:57:42

I realise it must make you very angry if you are agreeing with me.

petra Wed 17-Aug-16 22:39:48

No I didn't see that. Is it more of who you know? Will watch the link to the end.
I know you and I disagree on a lot of things but you have no idear how angry this makes me.

durhamjen Wed 17-Aug-16 18:06:41

Theresa May should come to the rescue. One of her big things in her speech was about housing, and how impossible it is for youngsters to get somewhere decenht to live.

durhamjen Wed 17-Aug-16 18:04:33

Did you watch long enough to see the connections with Tim Laurence, husband of Princess Anne?

petra Wed 17-Aug-16 18:00:32

I just couldn't listen to anymore knowing that absolutely nothing will change.
Once again it's taxpayers money so it doesn't matter. I did get over half way through it.
The part where I gave up was when the foreign chap was going to buy a station and more or less given an interest free loan from our government.

durhamjen Wed 17-Aug-16 17:48:36

So we need to try and do something about it.
Switching channels is not good enough.
I wonder if weownit will try to do something. I'd be surprised if 38 degrees wasn't on to it, as well.

petra Wed 17-Aug-16 17:42:21

durhamjen I always watch dispatches, and I can honestly say that this was the first time that I've switched channels: i just couldn't watch anymore of what has been happening. I am incensed over this waste/ corruption etc.

durhamjen Wed 17-Aug-16 16:26:31

speye.wordpress.com/2016/08/17/the-overall-benefit-cap-a-means-test-for-social-housing-and-child-abuse/

Did anyone watch Dispatches this week, about the amount of land that the Ministry of Defence has sold off for housing which has not been built? It's worth watching.

www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/on-demand/64584-001

Cameron said his legacy would be 100,000 houses built, but so far it's been sold off for half its value. and less than half the number of houses have been built.
Some land was bought and hotels built on it instead of affordable homes.
3 million people on council waiting lists.

durhamjen Sat 13-Aug-16 16:46:36

Worsening of the housing crisis?

speye.wordpress.com/2016/08/12/uk-housing-crisis-thatchers-rtb-and-ha-insignificance/

Last year housing associations built LESS housing for social rent than they have ever done in any year since the second world war or perhaps ever!

gettingonabit Fri 12-Aug-16 11:04:50

I stand corrected, daphne. Sorry for any offence. wink

daphnedill Fri 12-Aug-16 10:49:39

Gordon Brown didn't introduce top ups to working families' low pay. Family Credit had existed from the 1970s to top up families with low pay. It was the Conservative Chancellors before 1997 who first suggested and worked on the details of the concept of Working Tax Credit, which Gordon Brown implemented.

www.ifs.org.uk/bns/bn3.pdf

Sorry, but it's something which really bugs me. People don't seem to be able to mention tax credits without mentioning Gordon Brown in the same breath.

gettingonabit Fri 12-Aug-16 10:02:31

Yes, I think it was Gordon Brown who coined the phrase but it wasn't meant to be used quite so unthinkingly. Afaik, it was in relation to Tax Credits, which he introduced to top up working families' low pay.

Nowadays if you dare to be disabled, redundant, ill, old or otherwise "unable to make a contribution" you're written off as a freeloader.

nigglynellie Fri 12-Aug-16 09:34:09

To be absolutely accurate, I'm pretty sure that it was Gordon Brown who coined the phrase about 'hard working families'.
The one that stands out for me is, 'We're all in it together'!! Blatantly untrue and I think, the most stupid comment I've ever heard!

JessM Thu 11-Aug-16 17:34:07

We care about "hard working families" - presumably the ones who never lose their jobs and never need to claim housing benefits or tax credits?

daphnedill Wed 10-Aug-16 23:50:37

All in this together!

JessM Wed 10-Aug-16 22:08:33

Not bright enough for his handlers to trust him in a head to head TV debate with Miliband - who is a great deal brighter I think. TriciaF

Maybe the PM who lied the most to the electorate?
Starting with things like
Greenest government ever
No top-down reorganisation of NHS
NHS safe in his hands
etc etc etc

Devorgilla Wed 10-Aug-16 18:07:48

dj - they will get what they want unless we have a Labour Government next time round to stop it.

durhamjen Wed 10-Aug-16 10:12:44

nhap.us7.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=937c3e62bc24fa37708920cc9&id=462071987c&e=814ede4ddc

5 NHS trusts and 9 CCGs put into special measures last month.
Is yours one of them?
It just proves they are stripping the NHS ready for full scale privatisation. Cameron's real legacy.

durhamjen Tue 09-Aug-16 23:59:26

It was a PR exercise to him, TriciaF.