Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit watch, round 2

(1001 Posts)
petra Thu 21-Jul-16 20:35:01

Jalima Some people are having difficulty understanding that the remain camp lost the vote. They failed. They lost. They came second.

durhamjen Tue 06-Sep-16 22:09:10

fullfact.org/europe/how-eu-works-leaving-eu/

The EU cannot negotiate with the UK until Article 50 has been invoked.
How can sticking to the letter of an agreement be called childish?
Childish is trying to change the rules to suit yourself. Childish and selfish.

daphnedill Tue 06-Sep-16 22:07:39

@POGS

No, we're not talking about Junker, so I didn't bother reading the rest of your post.

Anya Tue 06-Sep-16 22:04:49

Too many 'for sures' I know!!

Anya Tue 06-Sep-16 22:04:16

Junkers days are numbered for sure.

Tegan do you really think everyone is sitting on their hands on doing nothing? confused there's a great deal going on behind the scenes for sure.

Ana Tue 06-Sep-16 22:03:39

Well, I thought there wouldn't be any negotiations until it had been invoked so nothing can be done anyway yet?

That's not what you said in your post of 21.54 Tegan.

POGS Tue 06-Sep-16 22:00:54

Are we talking about Jean Claud Junker, President of the European Commission here?

As we keep going over and over old ground I was reminded of the other Brexit thread that spoke of Jean Claude Junker and his 'No Negotiations diktat'.

I watched the European Parliament live debating Junkers diktat and Brexit and I can tell you for a fact it was either received very well or went down like a cup of cold sick.

POGS Sat 09-Jul-16 14:49:25
Have any of you had the opportunity to watch the debate on the 5th July from Strasbourg.re Brexit?

It matters not one jot what Churchill said , nobody knows what he would be saying decades on.

BBC Parliament ran the debate live and has twice showed recordings, including from this morning onwards, just finished.

I have listened to it twice and it is not the case we are being 'laughed at' sadly some MEP's eiher show total distain and want to hurt the UK whilst others show statesmanship and accept the interest of ALL the 28 countries in the EU must be taken into account and call for friendly cooperation to succeed in doing so.

The predominant call is for the EU to reform as it is not working for the 'people' but for the elite.
--

POGS Sat 09-Jul-16 15:36:47

(posters name removed)

That is the view of those MEP's that wish to put the boot into the UK but I hope the calls from the many for a friendly, commensense, economically sound approach will win the day.

There were many for Junkers hard line approach to the UK, although he has supposedly toned it down a bit, but many more who felt Junker and the Commission were part of the problem. Some calling for his resignation even.

Interestingly whilst all agree the EU needs reform, some wish to do so by further integration towards a Federal State, others are showing signs this is not necessarily the case .
-----

So I agree that it is 'childish' behaviour not to negotiate / consult and I heard for myself that was the opinion of many MEP's who consider this to be a diktat from Junker to hit the UK in the goolies even if it means cutting everybody's nose off to spite their face. There was indeed statesmanship shown in the EU Parliament but not by Junker that's for sure.

Tegan Tue 06-Sep-16 22:00:51

Well, I thought there wouldn't be any negotiations until it had been invoked so nothing can be done anyway yet?

Anya Tue 06-Sep-16 21:59:55

wine ???

Anya Tue 06-Sep-16 21:59:15

No it hasn't Ana ... weird!

Anya Tue 06-Sep-16 21:58:29

Unbelievable!

Ana Tue 06-Sep-16 21:57:51

Has Article 50 been activated? First I've heard of it...

Anya Tue 06-Sep-16 21:57:46

"We would not be involved in negotiations...." shakes head in disbelief hmm

daphnedill Tue 06-Sep-16 21:54:23

Those are the rules, Ana. He's not being childish. He's being 100% professional.

The City doesn't like him, because, as an EU commissioner, he tried to make the financial services industry (on which the UK relies) more transparent. It was the UK which consistently blocked measures for more honesty and controls. Ironic, really, because some BREXITEERs now claim they voted Leave, because they object to 'fat cats' in the City. They've certainly affected the lives of many millions in the UK, which could have been prevented, if the UK had gone alo9ng with the EU.

Tegan Tue 06-Sep-16 21:54:23

There were a lot of Leave posters on Yorkshire farms. I thought the EU had always said that we would not be involved in negotiations once Article 50had been activated so they ae quite within their right to not include us. Why are we still expecting to get everything on our own terms?

Anya Tue 06-Sep-16 21:52:44

Jess 'twas Jalima who brought out the Welsh farmers, not me. Though in fact the NUF vote was virtually 50:50 and I suspect the small farmers did think leave was a better option, on the whole.

Don't expect any apologies DJ as you've never been know to give them yourself.

Talking of farmers has anyone heard the phrase "squealing like a stuck pig" ? Well I can assure you it's true, we had two pigs once and they didn't half make a racquet when we had to send them to the abattoir.... that's completely apropos to nothing.

durhamjen Tue 06-Sep-16 21:14:14

He's not supposed to meet any. There are no negotiations between the EU and the UK until we have handed in Article 50.
He is just sticking to the rules.
It's the Brexiteers who want the rules changed to suit them, even though they agreed to the rules.

JessM Tue 06-Sep-16 21:12:00

Anya I don't think it was the Welsh farmers who were voting to Leave! I think there were however a lot of poor people in towns with few jobs that did (Ebbw Vale frequently cited which voted Leave despite massive investment of EU money). Also retired people in N Wales coastal areas (retired English people often move there from northern cities.)
Some very rural counties like Ceredigion and Gwynedd voted to Remain. The more industrial/ex-industrial areas tended to vote leave.
We didn't see any "leave" banners or posters on farmland, either upland or lowland in this area. But I gather there were quite a few in the more affluent lowland farms of S England. I gather it would be quite hard for families to keep going with upland sheep farming without their EU subsidies.

Ana Tue 06-Sep-16 21:06:23

Refusing even to meet any UK negotiators sounds childish to me.

Welshwife Tue 06-Sep-16 21:05:54

It wasn't anyone I had seen previously saying anything about Brexit etc.

daphnedill Tue 06-Sep-16 20:17:59

Why is he childish?

Jalima Tue 06-Sep-16 20:05:42

The man in charge of the EU side of Brexit has been announced - cannot remember his name - will not agree to even meet any UK negotiators!
Is that the childish French man? That doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Anya^Tue 06-Sep-16 16:51:34^
That is true, and probably the reason that so many farmers did in fact vote to leave the EU - probably including all those Welsh farmers who returned so many UKIP members to the Welsh Assembly.
Heaven forbid that we end up with American-style farming in the UK and all the smaller farms go by the wayside.

supermarkets have been screwing them for low prices for decades. I agree, but the public are tacitly in agreement by wanting lower and lower food prices.

rosesarered you can put Leadsom wherever you like grin
(missed the offending post btw!)

Jalima Tue 06-Sep-16 19:51:44

That's quite a lot of the cabinet in favour of one.
hmm
Well, five out of 21, although, of course, we don't know the views of the other 16.

durhamjen Tue 06-Sep-16 17:33:38

I have just come on here and would like an apology from you, roses.
Why would I ask HQ to delete something I've never even seen?
Why would I ask other people to complain to HQ?
I can do my own if I want to.

daphnedill Tue 06-Sep-16 17:33:20

Maybe, but I'd rather make sure our farmers had rules and stuck with them, no matter what other people do. Hopefully, we'll retain the rules after BREXIT. The quality of British food has improved since the UK joined the EU.

rosesarered Tue 06-Sep-16 17:23:36

That is half the trouble, we in the UK do observe all these rules, but many other countries don't.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion