Gransnet forums

News & politics

The arrogance of the filthy rich

(94 Posts)
whitewave Mon 25-Jul-16 21:27:49

Green I mean.

A billionaire who is not willing to cough up 600million to replace what he milked from the pension fund and gave to his wife.

He's now just taken delivery of his third luxury yacht.
The pensioners who used to work for him will take a cut on their 4k pension.

He also owns Topshop.

Luckylegs9 Tue 26-Jul-16 17:27:19

Why can't his assets be seized to pay off his debts? I hope the people he wants to mix with and impress, turn on him and his wife and he finds the restaurants he frequents no longer have his special table. His title should be removed. If he doesn't pay up, he should not enter Britain again, let him sail the world with her indoors.

obieone Tue 26-Jul-16 16:43:02

In HMRC, if you are wealthy enough, there are people there to help you reduce your tax bill legally. shock
That just can't be right.

There is getting to be a stink at the "top". Already is really. It is becoming more and more visible.

grands Tue 26-Jul-16 16:23:05

Philip Green seems to have become Rich - SuperRich whilst the Businesses and employees became Poorer. Certainly NOT GOOD Morally, Ethically, etc, etc.

As though Businesses may be there to make money. Most people expect to make a living. Yet many have lost their jobs / employment. They now face InSecurity, UnCertainty whilst the person responsible is living in Luxury.

Yes, I hope that Prime Minister Theresa May takes action. As there is likely to be a large cost / damages to British people, Communities etc. Likely to be ill health through Depression, Anxiety, may be poor nutrition, etc, etc. which impacts on NHS (National Health Services), etc.

Britain needs to be built up again, and that I believe should start at the bottom up. Those who are poor financially, Emotionally, in Health etc need access to Security :- Good Housing, Secure Income, Good Quality Education, Good Quality and Well Paid Employment, Regular Nutritious Food etc.

Philip Green and others should be held Accountable for their Behaviour, Business Practices, Negative Impact on others (unemployment, reduced pensions etc) and Communities.

whitewave Tue 26-Jul-16 16:11:08

And visa versa

durhamjen Tue 26-Jul-16 16:08:41

There are also a lot of accountants from the big five who are seconded to HMRC. That must be wrong.

whitewave Tue 26-Jul-16 16:03:22

Yep monica been going on for donkeys years

M0nica Tue 26-Jul-16 16:00:08

dj, I am absolutely with you the behaviour of the accountancy firms that are meant to be independent auditors, let alone the various legal and banking advisors has been appalling.

There used to be about 10 large firms of accountants plus 20 - 30 medium sized companies in the city, but over time these companies have eaten each other until only a handful of really big ones exist. They wine, dine, holiday and schmooze with all the top executives of the big companies they not only audit but provide a whole range of other financial services.

The relationship between auditor and company has become incestuous and no-one is going to rock the boat with an over-zealous audit.

whitewave Tue 26-Jul-16 15:58:11

No classgrin

GillT57 Tue 26-Jul-16 15:45:38

Agreed anniegran. It would be nice to see doors slammed in their faces as they become social pariahs. The next one who needs taken to task is Mike Ashley of Sports Direct. He is breaking all kinds of labour and employment laws in the UK and is a byword for sharp practice and did, he claims show an interest in BHS but Green vetoed it, presumably because Green knew that Ashley wasn't as stupid as Chappell. If I wrote this and submitted it to Netflix it would be rejected as fantasy and packed out with unbelievable, two dimensional characters. It is like Dallas without the hats.

durhamjen Tue 26-Jul-16 15:35:12

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/07/26/business-leaders-have-greater-responsibilities-than-obeying-the-law/

durhamjen Tue 26-Jul-16 15:32:14

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/07/25/what-do-you-call-the-auditor-who-failed-to-spot-the-mess-at-bhs/

Jaycee5 Tue 26-Jul-16 15:27:45

M0nica Leona Helmsley "We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes." She left $12m to her dog.

AnnieGran Tue 26-Jul-16 15:27:22

I would take comfort in his wife not being called 'Lady Green' if he loses his knighthood. I bet she loves that title.

M0nica Tue 26-Jul-16 15:03:43

Do you remember the case of the US millionaire, who said paying taxes was only for little people - and ended up in prison for tax evasion?

The problem is so many politicians and the like are bedazzled by men (mostly) with loadsa money, especially if they have over-large personalities (aka bullies). Look at the various people politicians of all persuasions have sucked up to over the years, and then had to back peddle from when some of the bullying and unpleasantness leaked out; Tiny Roland (lonrho), Robert Maxwell (Pergamon), Lord Ashcroft, Mike Ashley (Sports Direct), Philip Green, to name but a few.

GillT57 Tue 26-Jul-16 14:58:57

I dont see why anyone should get a knighthood at all to be honest, especially not for just doing their job. If that was the basis for honours then we could all nominate teachers who inspired/surgeons who saved lives/mental health practitioners who talk someone into believing their life is worth while. Selling a load of over priced outdated crap for more than it is worth is not the basis for honour. I also think that there should be a clause in the honours system whereby only those who have are UK resident for tax purposes should even be considered. I think Green may have taken on the wrong person when he took on Frank Field, he is a man respected for fairness on both sides of the house. The British Press are now after him too. Private Eye have been after him for years and have long warned about what was going on. I sometimes think a lot of time could be saved in government and in select committees if they just took out a subscription to Private Eye; it would save a lot of expense and red faces. I am happy to pass on mine after I have read it every fortnight. grin

sylviann Tue 26-Jul-16 14:34:44

I don't think people should get a knighthood for making money for themselves honours should only be given to people who have done good selfless works or honoured their country. Once the filthy rich get a sir in front of their names the get appointed to directorships ect and make even more money .bring back the stocks or tighten up the loop holes in the law.

Jumbly01 Tue 26-Jul-16 13:47:02

Maybe boycot buying from any of his other organisations might hit him where it hurts?

cc Tue 26-Jul-16 13:44:50

He is clearly a despicable man who does not care at all what normal people think of him, but he's not alone - there are many super-rich who get their income from the UK but do not pay any tax here at all. I believe his wife is domiciled in Monaco? The sooner governments all over the world get to grips with this type of tax evasion the better. They are robbing us all.

Madmartha Tue 26-Jul-16 13:04:26

I agree totally with GillT57. Media pics of Kate Moss living the life of luxury with him and his daughter on their mega yachts kept flashing before my eyes, maybe because he looked lascivious all the time. It's the Caroline Aherne question isn't it 'what attracts you to the billionaire Philip Green, Kate Moss?' Strip him of the knighthood and make him pay back every penny needed to ensure that all BHS employees receive their agreed pension. I would also make him pay redundancy (call it what you will) to every employee losing their job as a result of his avarice.

GillT57 Tue 26-Jul-16 12:47:16

The Fraud squad are investigating Greene and I would think that his arrogant and bullying manner will not go down well with investigators. As to his knighthood; it was given for services to retail (what?). yesterday on Radio 4, a director of one of the many small businesses who supplied goods to BHS ( now in trouble, jobs lost, 1000's of £s lost), said that all Greene did was drive a very hard price from his suppliers to improve profit margins, he didnt improve turnover, so no particular skill there other than being a bully. Even Cameron got rid of him swiftly after the much heralded appointment as Czar of something or another, Greene's idea to help business was to stretch credit terms to their limits and beyond. He was quietly dropped, (sadly not over the deck of one of his yachts). The best punishment for him and his ghastly wife is social isolation and loss of knighthood, the yacht could be lonely as you drift around with no-one to show off to.

radicalnan Tue 26-Jul-16 12:37:42

There should be no honours it is an antiquated system making some people elevated above others for not very good reasons.or worse, no good reason at all.

Send him to jail............we are nearing as a society the days of 'off with his head'...........there is only so much having our noses rubbed in it that people will tolerate.

I hope his boat sinks....all 3 of them.

whitewave Tue 26-Jul-16 12:22:26

Enjoy your wealth that is fairly made and contribution made to the country in which it is made - Greens was put off shore - but wealth that is not yours to spend is theft. So he has stolen from his employees and the British tax payer.

Jaycee5 Tue 26-Jul-16 12:22:10

obiolone There is no evidence of force or intimidation. The allegations are very vague and where there were details they have been proven false or exaggerated. If there has been any there is no evidence it has anything to do with Corbyn or his supporters. Everyone in the public eye unfortunately gets a certain amount of abuse.
Corbyn being asked to do something about it is him being asked if he has stopped beating his wife.
The allegations are just dirty tricks.

sunseeker Tue 26-Jul-16 12:14:51

I don't have a problem with rich people enjoying their money - especially if they are spending it in a way which keeps people in work, however, I do have a problem when that money is made by asset stripping a company and putting workers out of their jobs. Green obviously has no concern for his former employees. Boycotting his other businesses may make us feel better but it won't affect him at all. If enough people boycott them it could lead to loss of jobs for those working there.

obieone Tue 26-Jul-16 12:08:15

spabbygirl. But I dont agree with force and intimidation, which JC either cant control or decides not to control. I dont have a problem at all with peaceful ways of doing things.