Gransnet forums

News & politics

How to treat women

(33 Posts)
obieone Mon 01-Aug-16 09:42:01

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3717426/Labour-MP-Thangam-Debboinaire-urges-male-refugees-coming-Britain-need-properly-taught-treat-women-prevent-assault-sexual-harassment.html

I think I agree with this?

[I could only find a Daily Mail and Telegraph link, not a Guardian one]

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 01-Aug-16 18:52:00

petra firstly it is one hour a week, although I don't know for how long. The woman in the hijab has been attending for almost 4 years, so perhaps there is no limit. To counter your comment, it was interesting to hear the young lawyer say he thought that way three years ago, but not any longer. Also, according to the politician the taxi drivers did know what they were doing was against the law. I just think it was interesting to hear so many different people talk about their experiences of the whole situation.

One point that I think was very interesting was the man who shaking his head, commented about young men in France and the UK were fighting against the government. It did surprise me that the woman wearing the hijab didn't think she could change (wonder why her application was refused when she is a single parent?), but she wanted to learn what her children would experience in their new lives.

The teacher with the surgeon wife was right though, when he said people look at them and all they see is the hijab and Allah 'Akbar'. They looked like any Western couple and I felt hope when I saw the community event. A small community though is different from the inner city.

Having watched the video, I definitely think anything that will help immigrants and locals understand each other better can only be a good thing.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 01-Aug-16 18:49:31

Oh, you mean bull-shit.

DaphneBroon Mon 01-Aug-16 18:48:05

Un taureau is a bull
As in "Toreador"
Easy enough.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 01-Aug-16 18:45:55

gj might know it daphnebroon but I only recognise the "merde" bit. Cba to google it.

Devorgilla Mon 01-Aug-16 17:02:51

I think it is a good idea to make people coming into this country aware of the general practices we follow. Other countries do it when we plan to visit them. For example the laws regarding the partaking of alcohol in Muslim countries. It can be an uphill struggle to change attitudes but we did change attitudes towards the treatment of women in this country by our own menfolk and we did change racist and homophobic attitudes. Admittedly, not everyone is happy about it and pockets still exist but it is still worth the effort. There are men in our own native population who still hold out of date attitudes about women. We forget that a woman had to have a male sponsor for a mortgage up to the 1970s and rape in marriage was only outlawed towards the end of the 20th century. A long way to go, ladies. You just have to keep battling on.

SparklyGrandma Mon 01-Aug-16 16:54:05

Hi, I agree some acclimatization to help people fit in, on all areas, should be available. I worked in East London for a while in health advocacy, and one guy wouldn't talk directly to me or other women as it was against his culture,having recently arrived.
I know one swallow a summer musn't make and it is essential people know whats polite in the very least, in our UK culture.

TerriBull Mon 01-Aug-16 16:04:00

I don't think for one moment that all the men that have left war zones behave in the same way, many will be respectful around women and wont need any instruction on how to behave.

However, as we all know there are those that have regressed back to a bygone time and are embracing all the horrors of fundementalism, how do we change those mindsets that's the problem we face. In the meantime some county council is trying to make wolf whilsting a crime against women, what a topsy turvey world we live in, we can have preachers in our midst who think it's acceptable to tell young men that raping infidels and killing gays is a good thing, but some moron on a building site shouts out "cheer up love" and that's a hate crime, it's bloody annoying, but it hardly compares to rape and murder shock

petra Mon 01-Aug-16 15:45:10

WilmaKnickersfit I watched the clip. But how is one hrs lesson going to change, I don't know how many yrs of indoctrination. It was interesting that the Syrian mother said: you will never change them.
I think it's a legal thing. There had been many Afgans who had taken jobs as taxi drivers and committed rape on their passengers. They said that they didn't know it was against the law. Well now that they have to attend these classes, they can't claim that anymore.

DaphneBroon Mon 01-Aug-16 15:43:58

Ah but there's "cr*p" nd what granjura might recognise as "merde de taureau " jingl and gononsuch

TerriBull Mon 01-Aug-16 15:28:19

I recently read about an Imam in Cardiff who has been advising young men in his congregation that it's acceptable to take sex slaves, in the way that ISIS have been doing. It's shameful that a cleric in this country can get away with this sort of sermon.

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 01-Aug-16 15:06:26

In the Guardian today is a video from a reporter who went to a small town in Norway to see one of these courses. The courses were made compulsory because of the attacks on women - and their benefits are affected if they do not attend. She talks to the course leader, the immigrants (men and women) and a politician. It's an interesting watch and worth the 11 minutes imho because it touches on so many points.

Course for immigrants in Norway

Jane10 Mon 01-Aug-16 14:50:05

Maybe just make sure they know our laws and that they will definitely be upheld. Seems fair to all parties. If they want sharia law its available in the middle east. Their choice.

obieone Mon 01-Aug-16 14:46:36

Interesting point TriciaF.

I have slight reservations about it and I dont now if I am right at all. In fact I am probably wrong.
It is the culture thing for me. Messing about with someone elses' culture.

But as I say, I am probably quite wrong.

madamecholet Mon 01-Aug-16 14:43:57

I prefer Gononsuch's spelling JBF, it means my supportive stockings become sportive stockings - it sounds much sexier!grin

TriciaF Mon 01-Aug-16 14:19:12

Back to the OP I think it would be a waste of time. They've been indoctrinated from the womb, and before.
The only way is to reinforce the existing laws and apply them.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 01-Aug-16 14:10:16

Gononsuch do I take it you've received the "must be supportive at all times" email from GNHQ? And I thought that was mine all mine! wink

Apart from that, I haven't a clue what you're talking about. But I will defend the right of a poster to be totally crap at spelling to the bitter end. smile

Gononsuch Mon 01-Aug-16 13:48:30

GNHQ I'm being sportive to anyone who hasn't got it yet

DaphneBroon Mon 01-Aug-16 12:29:53

Riverwalk gringrin

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 01-Aug-16 12:21:43

I think her comments have been taken out of context, singled out for a sound bite. She's talking about the kind of support provision needed for refugees coming to a different culture. As petra said, is already part of the support provided in other countries to help them integrate (it started before the New Year attacks).

Riverwalk Mon 01-Aug-16 12:20:21

Or a box at the Royal Albert Hall!

Jane10 Mon 01-Aug-16 12:19:23

Sorry I got distracted off the OP. I remember a few years ago we used to have students from a language school staying with us. Two young men from a middle eastern country objected to me sitting at the table while we ate. They got short shrift. They also went a bit daft on alcohol which they'd never seen available before. This could also be playing a part in inappropriate behaviour noticed in some of the migrants. I'm still not impressed at the comparative number of young men as compared to women that seem to have arrived.

Jane10 Mon 01-Aug-16 12:13:46

I think the OAPS ticket idea for Wimbledon is excellent! 'Dementure' indeed.

DaphneBroon Mon 01-Aug-16 11:28:48

If you don't know try a spellchecker.
Clearly my question went right over somebody's head hmm

Gononsuch Mon 01-Aug-16 11:23:51

GNHQ I'm being sportive I'm answering a query from DaphnBroon.

pensionpat Mon 01-Aug-16 11:03:03

?