Gransnet forums

News & politics

Despair

(90 Posts)
Anniebach Mon 15-Aug-16 13:50:48

I said recently our drop in centre for people with mental health problems was to lose funding. Last week was contacted by our labour town councillors , the day centre for the disabled and elderly is to be closed down so we have to fight against this too . Just had a telephone call from local branch of Age Concern, funding being withdrawn , nearest support now will be fifty miles away , what will they close next and where will the vunerable find support? Volenteers are difficult to find and I am so tired

Anniebach Sun 21-Aug-16 09:53:28

It is here thatbags, means a waiting list but not everyone can afford to buy new books .

Jane10 Sun 21-Aug-16 09:51:33

Round here the libraries seem to have become local authority offices. Books are the least of their functions it would appear. They do bus pass forms, provide hearing aid batteries, receive back loaned walking sticks and crutches, run after school clubs, book groups for the elderly (including fish and chip suppers) etc etc. They really are community hubs.

thatbags Sun 21-Aug-16 09:51:17

You probably can at the Mitchell Library in Glasgow though.

I think it's unreasonable to expect city services in all rural areas.

thatbags Sun 21-Aug-16 09:50:18

Is it possible to get new books at most libraries? Not here it aint. Never has been. Oxford, yes. Argyll, nope.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 21-Aug-16 09:49:20

Oh shoot! I've done it again! hmm

Sorry Ab!

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 21-Aug-16 09:48:34

Bags Ab lives in Wales. Takes time.

Anniebach Sun 21-Aug-16 09:47:00

thatbags, it is not possible to get new books here unless one buys from Smiths, not cheap.

thatbags Sun 21-Aug-16 09:45:59

A lot of classics, for instance, are free on kindles and tablets.

thatbags Sun 21-Aug-16 09:45:07

And getting books cheaply too.

thatbags Sun 21-Aug-16 09:44:46

I think you've missed my point ab: that there are other ways of getting books nowadays. Not for everyone, obviously, but for a lot of people.

thatbags Sun 21-Aug-16 09:43:37

There was also a library which the city council wanted to open on Sundays but local Labour Party members argued against that. I would have happily worked as a library assistant on Sundays.

Anniebach Sun 21-Aug-16 09:43:23

Same throughout Wales now Welshwife, we need our libraries , people want books

thatbags Sun 21-Aug-16 09:41:55

The library my brother uses is a useful resource in the same way, welshwife. But that still doesn't mean all libraries are still needed everywhere. I'm not arguing against libraries, just wondering if, everywhere, they really are as much needed as they were in the past when that was all people had.

When we lived in Edinburgh (in a poor part) the local secondary school welcomed learners other than school age kids and the local health centre had a playgroup.

Welshwife Sun 21-Aug-16 09:37:21

Libraries offer functions other than lending books now. Many of them are the only place where people can go and have social contact. A local one where we lived in S. Wales was the hub of the Community with all sorts going on there such as craft afternoons ( in amongst the book shelves) and other rooms housing computers for training people(many older) who did not own a computer and who had never used one. There were meeting rooms as well. In many areas these places are vital - this one I was talking about has since been closed and the building demolished! If the people wish to access any similar facilities they need to travel on the infrequent bus or get someone to take them the other way over the mountain where no bus service exists. Many areas need more facilities not less. Most of the activities at this centre were run by volunteers and fund raising events were held to assist with costs.

thatbags Sun 21-Aug-16 09:35:54

Why are you the only one with access to the internet, ab? Is it because you pay for it and others don't? Sorry if that sounds nosey, it's just that I was recently at my mum's house for three weeks. There is no interenet there only because my brother, who lives with her, has never mentioned it. He goes to the library when he wants to get online. He doesn't even have a mobile phone. He could have that and an internet connection. He chooses not to. No idea why really.

thatbags Sun 21-Aug-16 09:33:16

Dunno. Haven't read the whole thread. Apparently charities used to get money direct from Westminster and possibly also from their local councils and don't now.

What about organisations like Rotary? They support charities. Always have. It's another way.

Anniebach Sun 21-Aug-16 09:31:40

I live in a close which has twenty four properties, I am the only one with access to the Internet

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 21-Aug-16 09:29:49

What have charities got to do with this? Isn't Ab complaining of council cuts?

thatbags Sun 21-Aug-16 09:27:35

I'm undecided about libraries closing. Are libraries really as necessary as they used to be now that people can access a lot of informative and leisure reading via their phones and tablets?

I'm not saying that I think libraries are unnecessary, just, possibly, not as necessary as they have been.

My husband could not have managed to educate himself without his local library in Cardiff where he grew up and went to a rotten school. There were no books in his parents' house. But he could probably manage now.

thatbags Sun 21-Aug-16 09:23:55

Why shouldn't charities have to work hard to raise funds? I thought they did anyway. And that some of their methods are very much disliked.

Anniebach Sun 21-Aug-16 08:52:48

Obieon, the council have stopped funding two local charities because of less money from Westminster, thus is why libraries are closing. Cut backs

obieone Sun 21-Aug-16 08:48:49

Actually, it isnt a matter of they have reuced it, it is a matter that they have changed where they give it too. They even know which charities are paying out the biggest salaries to the bosses. Some of them have changed to the Salvation Army, as they can see that that is one of the lowest ones.

Anniebach Sun 21-Aug-16 08:47:35

True Iam and worse it's going to get. The two local charities I am fighting to keep were funded by local authorities . Age Concern is a countrywide charity yet it is making cutbacks here too. Nothing can be done and more charities will have to make cut backs, the vunerable will continue to suffer

obieone Sun 21-Aug-16 08:46:00

We need to remember that if they weren't well paid, they would go elsewhere to earn their salaries. Charities have to operate on a business model in order to compete and survive in the current climate. They also need offices premises, paid staff , including fund raisers. They don't operate out of a small cardboard box.

From the people I know, and from what I read on gransnet and elsewhere, that idea does not go down well, nad as Ihave said, amongst the people I know, they have reduced their charity giving accordingly.

The parable of the Good Samaritan - Jesus asks, which of the 3 people who passed the man, who was the neighbour?

Iam64 Sun 21-Aug-16 08:28:36

JessM's post summarises the impact of austerity cuts well. She's right in saying that charities are having to work hard to generate funds and that many effective services previously run by charities are having to close because local authority funding has been withdrawn.

The complaint that senior executives and managers in charities earn large salaries is understandable. We need to remember that if they weren't well paid, they would go elsewhere to earn their salaries. Charities have to operate on a business model in order to compete and survive in the current climate. They also need offices premises, paid staff , including fund raisers. They don't operate out of a small cardboard box.

As for the point that our neighbours are the people in our town or country, I'm with Anniebach in her interpretation of the parable of the Good Samaritan.