Gransnet forums

News & politics

Clinton vs Trump

(56 Posts)
mrsmopp Wed 24-Aug-16 22:46:16

What a dreadful choice! We may complain about our politicians but I'm glad I don't have to choose between these two, as I wouldn't trust either of them. The future looks bleak for America.

Elrel Sun 04-Sep-16 10:21:41

? X

Elrel Sun 04-Sep-16 10:20:56

A Green Party friend made an interesting point. Since the complexities of the US system prevented Obama doing some of the good things he wanted, presumably that same system would (should he get elected) prevent Trump from doing the crass things he might want to do.
I just hope that he doesn't get to the White House of course?

Tegan Sat 03-Sep-16 20:38:35

In reality, he has. Someone must be paying for all of his trips abroad [unless it's his Euro MP wages he's spending].

Ana Sat 03-Sep-16 20:32:25

I agree, but he hasn't got much influence in reality.

Tegan Sat 03-Sep-16 20:29:50

Farage is devious and manipulative. Talks with Marine le Pen [sp] after brexit;turning up at Trump rallies. Whenever there's a sniff of racism he's there helping, advising. Not the jolly, beer drinking fag smoking buffoon he makes himself out to be.

Ana Sat 03-Sep-16 19:33:43

But Farage is never likely to be the PM of the UK whereas Trump may well become President of the USA, which is a much scarier prospect.

Tegan Sat 03-Sep-16 19:26:30

'Farage showing up at Trump rally was so freakin' stupid. Farage was touting here than money saved on the EU would be available to bring back the NHS from the brink' there were two 'leave' lots Lewlew. It was the other lot that said the money would go to the NHS [and said the day after the referendum that they didn't actually mean it]. Farages lot campaigned to stop immigration so the idea of this was with Mexico would appeal to him greatly [especially as I believe Trump says the Mexicans will have to pay for it themselves confused].I think Farage is as dangerous as Trump, mainly because both of them behave in such a ridiculous way that most people don't take them seriously sad.

Anniebach Sat 03-Sep-16 19:04:56

Can anyone be more dangerous than Trump?

mrsmopp Sat 03-Sep-16 18:33:28

On YouTube there are lots of stories discrediting Hilary - some nasty claiming she has Parkinson's etc, but there are a string of accusations about her misdeeds. Google 'no way to stop it now'. I was shocked and wonder how much it true.
Don't think we can blame Trump for that but it will affect his chances.
We watch and wait..
It is scary.

Lewlew Sun 28-Aug-16 13:22:00

trisher, that's correct. Bernie supporters are very loyal, like Corbyn's... loyal to a cause they seem to represent. If Bernie had been 15 years younger, he might have beaten Hillary. Also, he was a Vermonter... a northern yankee. There is a great political divide between the north and south in US politics. If a northerner, like Kennedy, gets the nomination, then he picked Johnson to carry Texas, the powerhouse of the south. And so it goes... Clinton picked a Virginian, and Trump picked a northerner in Pence.

maddyone I think the Trump supporters want an 'anti-politician' to go to Washington. They are being told that they will see big changes, but these things will not happen. They are being told Clinton will absolve the 2nd Amendment. Really? That is utterly ridiculous, the process for changing an amendment is massive. They are blind. It's an anger-driven campaign.

Without a knowledge of the law or world affairs, which you get with a political career, international performance is going to be difficult. Even local politicians, eg Jimmy Carter was a state governor as was Ronald Reagan and George W, they went from state government to the national/international stage and struggled. Former state governor and VP nominee Sarah Palin never even got off the mark. She didn't even know where Alaska ended and Russia began! It's more sensible for governors with higher ambitions to then run for their state's senate seat where they gain needed exposure to international affairs.

Farage showing up at Trump rally was so freakin' stupid. Farage was touting here than money saved on the EU would be available to bring back the NHS from the brink. So why is he supporting Trump who will throw out the Affordable Health Care Act (Obamacare) which will mean that people on low incomes, and who have no employer provided plan, will have no access to health care unless they are totally indigent. Farage did not do his homework.

trisher Sun 28-Aug-16 12:57:25

Very dated, when she was supporting Bernie Sanders-sometimes people will say anything to get in the papers.

lemondrizzle Sun 28-Aug-16 12:37:51

www.independent.co.uk/news/people/susan-sarandon-hillary-clinton-more-dangerous-donald-trump-a7064826.html
There are many more who think this.

trisher Sun 28-Aug-16 11:26:52

So a woman who believes in promoting equality, who wants to take action on things like autism, who has a real record of fighting for women's rights is as dangerous as a man who believes that a wall should be built between Mexico and the USA. You cannot be serious lemondrizzle!

joannewton46 Sun 28-Aug-16 01:33:15

Perhaps Hilary could get Ivana Trump on HER platform... That would certainly be interesting! I don't like her much but she's a better bet than Trump.
I really can't understand how supposedly intelligent people could possibly think Trump would make a good President. I wonder if his workforce will vote for him as being on the side of the common man? I doubt he would know a policy if it hit him in the face.
Sadly I suspect that whoever wins, Trump has sown enough seeds of dissatisfaction that the USA will be split down the middle for several years. It's no longer "God bless America" but "God help America."

lemondrizzle Sat 27-Aug-16 23:20:13

I just want someone who's suitable for the job, man or woman. Just because she's a woman doesn't give me any joy if she's no good. Shes very hawkish which in these times is quite worrying. I don't want Trump neither, I just wish there was a better alternative. It's all a bit between the devil and the deep blue sea I'm afraid.

Millbrook Sat 27-Aug-16 17:09:02

I notice that lots of the comments on Clinton have focused on the Bill/loyal or foolish wife and yet not much about the fact that we will (hopefully) finally have a woman as President of the US. I think Hillary is clever, dedicated, caring and incredibly hard working. She is a million times better than Trump. But more than anything, she is about to smash the biggest glass ceiling, and I think we should be loudly celebrating that fact and encouraging more women to get involved in politics. The culture of political organisations (often too macho, too secretive, too ineffective) will only change once we get a majority of women running them.
Of course she is not perfect, but - as long as you think she is better than Trump - let's get behind her and in November ( fingers crossed) make a BIG THING of having a woman as US President!

maddyone Sat 27-Aug-16 15:15:32

Emelle, I agree with you, it's a terrible choice between the two of them, I'm glad I'm not American and I don't have to choose. When we visited America earlier this year, I was surprised, no shocked, by the amount of support Trump gets from the ordinary people of America.We were in southern states, but not those traditionally known as the hard south, we visited Nevada, Arizona, and California. Lots of people we spoke to supported Trump, I suppose I didn't expect it. Clearly they see something we don't, but if he is elected, I think we have good cause to be afraid.

Tegan Sat 27-Aug-16 13:55:27

Lewlew; great posts!

annehinckley Sat 27-Aug-16 13:48:22

Apparently the French have a saying: 'Vote for the crook, not the Nazi'. Hmmmm.

Elrel Sat 27-Aug-16 13:29:37

Emelle: there was an attempt, a young British man travelled to the US, went to a Trump rally and took a policeman's gun with the intention of shooting him. I think he is in jail there awaiting trial.

Elrel Sat 27-Aug-16 13:25:53

Tegan - I had to think twice to get your 'once married' then realised what you meant. I'm trying to think of a clearer phrase. One time married? No. Only once married? No. I'll give up!
I do hope the (allegedly) unstable, rabble rouser Trump doesn't prevail. Hillary is not perfect but does appear together best they've got! Still, Teresa May apparently could find no better Foreign Secretary than Boris.

ExaltedWombat Sat 27-Aug-16 12:35:01

Granjura - you're MEANT to be judgemental when choosing who to vote for. The whole poi t is deciding g who is better. That means deciding the other one is worse.

Lewlew Sat 27-Aug-16 11:59:46

BlueBelle... ROFL... It was funny watching the Mississippi rally folks with puzzled looks. Who is this man Farage? Nothing he said-- except that he'd never vote for Clinton if he was eligible even if you paid him-- made any sense to them. Then they cheered.

Many Americans are very un-knowledgeable about Europe full-stop. Current world affairs and geography are not taught in primary schools nowadays. Sadly, young children know more about guns than reading, writing or maths.

I have lost some friends who are now so pro-gun, and pro-Trump. It was heartbreaking... both of them had been teachers and have a son with LD. If it wasn't for Obama-Care, their 40 year old son would have no health coverage at all, yet they hate everything about democrats now, including people who vote democrat.

I am ashamed. It's true, America has learned to hate again. sad angry

BlueBelle Sat 27-Aug-16 11:02:46

Lewlew I agree with your post
Clinton may be far from ideal for many but Trump appears to be seriously narcissistic and delusional and probably suffers from a personality disorder I seriously hope Farage stays out there and invites Johnson to join him

Lewlew Sat 27-Aug-16 10:54:14

I am a US citizen (and a British one, too) and have not been able to vote the last two elections because my last state of residence no longer sends me absentee ballots! It's a very conservative state and my brother had to go to my town hall in person to get my ballots. When he moved to Florida, I found I couldn't get them posted to me. They town clerk kept 'forgetting', guess he didn't like my Democrat party registration. I gave up.

As to who I would vote for? It would be Clinton. Her husband was a good president. So he had a zipper problem, look at any man in power, same thing! She began her career as a proper elected politician as a senator, and served as Sec of State.

The hard right-wingers have been angry for decades about Watergate, so read up on that angle if you are interested. It took a while for the vendetta to grow to current proportions, but it started in the 80's and Rush Limbaugh was it's shock jock champion. It divided the US into the Us and Them parties, when before...many voters used to cross party lines to vote. They voted for the person, not the party. Congress can be mixed. As now, you can have a majority of republicans, but have a democrat president.

Good government is about compromise, not having everything all your way all the time.

Yes, I will vote for the wife of zipper man. And, I did meet her once at a coffee shop in my old home state.

And yes, the old axiom that any kid could grow up to be president is no longer true. Any RICH kid can grow up to be president.

It says something when Trump cannot get the support of any leading republicans. They are distancing themselves en mass so they can save their local seats. Build a wall? Make Mexico pay for it? Really?

It says something when Trump cannot put a coherent sentence together without spouting an insult. The debates will be him talking over Clinton. She can probably just sit back and let it flow.

Oh, and I will not be visiting the US this year... you cannot get away from the adverts in your face. If Trump does get in, it will be a long time before I set foot in the country of my birth. I live here, am a citizen, and proud to now be British!