Gransnet forums

News & politics


(11 Posts)
AlieOxon Mon 05-Sep-16 15:21:40

I've received a form urgently requiring me to confirm who can vote from this house.....

rosesarered Mon 05-Sep-16 15:27:47

Yes, us too, you have to do this every year now, and reply by October.

rosesarered Mon 05-Sep-16 15:28:14

You can do it online Alie

shysal Mon 05-Sep-16 15:33:06

Did mine this morning, on line.

daphnedill Mon 05-Sep-16 16:26:56

I did mine a couple of weeks ago.

It's a much about checking who is liable to pay council tax. Councils are having a big crackdown on people who claim single occupancy reductions.

I was caught out by this a few years ago, when I didn't return my form. My daughter no longer lived with me and I should have informed the council. The next thing I knew, I was being threatened with a court order for back payment of council tax. I was receiving child tax credits at the time and I was also informed that I needed to be reassessed, because there was another adult living in my house, even though there wasn't.

Roses is right. Councils have to keep an up-to-date list by law.

tanith Mon 05-Sep-16 16:41:32

I did it on my phone just keyed in a code to confirm there were no changes.

ninathenana Mon 05-Sep-16 18:19:25

Thanks for the reminder, received my letter last week.

Deedaa Mon 05-Sep-16 21:56:21

Oops I've put mine in a safe place. Better disinter it!

Eloethan Tue 06-Sep-16 01:08:19

I can remember filling it in but I can't remember if I posted it. Do they send a reminder?

daphnedill Tue 06-Sep-16 01:54:32

I think you can register online, even if you don't have your form. I think you need your NI number.

Eloethan Wed 07-Sep-16 00:56:36

Thanks daphne.