Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is Cabinet Government dead?

(5 Posts)
Gracesgran Sun 11-Sep-16 12:15:12

Just seen Boris asking people to sign up to his new campaign group. How on earth can he be doing this; surely he should be sacked?

On the other side either a large group of Labour MPs will not apply themselves to collective responsibility or their leader wants to run another campaign group.

What on earth is happening? Are we seeing a huge change in how our government works? If so what sort of government will we end up with?

janeainsworth Sun 11-Sep-16 12:36:39

No he shouldn't be doing it, Gracesgran.
I think they do it because they can. Social media has made it that much easier to get your message across to so many people at far less expense than sending out leaflets etc.

janeainsworth Sun 11-Sep-16 12:38:03

And you can put your message across with emotionally charged images rather than relying on logic and rhetoric. People respond to the former far more than the latter.

Gracesgran Sun 11-Sep-16 12:44:48

Don't they just!

daphnedill Sun 11-Sep-16 12:58:45

If I were Theresa May, I'd give the Three Merry Brexiteers a bit more rope and hope they hang themselves (metaphorically). Boris stood down from the leadership candidacy and seems to delight in meddling. Fox and Davis are also unsuccessful leadershop contenders. Tough luck if they don't like what May's telling them to do. She's the boss.

And to answer your question about who to make International Trade Secretary, I'd appoint Jeremy Hunt - anything to get him away from Health grin. I believe he speaks Mandarin and, to be fair to him, he has set up some successful businesses, unlike Fox.