Gransnet forums

News & politics

Hillary Clinton

(102 Posts)
Kempsy3 Mon 12-Sep-16 12:32:51

Do you think Hillary will be well enough to continue her campaign for the Presidency? and if not how much of a setback will that be for the democrats?

Jalima Sat 17-Sep-16 21:45:12

thatbags
www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/09/north-korea-nuclear-test-earthquake

thatbags Sat 17-Sep-16 15:21:25

Thanks, petra.

petra Sat 17-Sep-16 15:12:43

thatbags it was reported in the news last week.

thatbags Sat 17-Sep-16 15:07:57

Where did you read/hear about the nuclear test explosion causing an earthquake, please, jen? Or who said it was the cause?

durhamjen Sat 17-Sep-16 13:45:00

Most politicians don't have the chance to blow up the world, though, usually only two at any one time.
Unless, of course, you count North Korea, where Kim Yong Un has just tested a nuclear missile that caused an earthquake measuring over 5 on the scale.
The US is telling North Korea to stop, but China is backing North Korea.

That's worrying, particularly as we are supposed to be cosying up to China, while at the same time having more US nuclear missiles on our soil.

thatbags Sat 17-Sep-16 12:47:36

Like most politicians.

durhamjen Sat 17-Sep-16 12:17:16

I don't fancy finding out if Trump will, Im68Now.
He's very slow at changing his mind once he's come out with a stupid idea.

Im68Now Sat 17-Sep-16 10:43:23

Does it really make that much difference who's president. I mean they don't actually trust anyone with the power to destroy the world 12 times over., *our do they*envy

Tegan Sat 17-Sep-16 10:30:07

Thanks Rhinestone.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 17-Sep-16 09:51:25

security. Not that other weird thing that showed up there. hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 17-Sep-16 09:49:28

And now the idiot Trump suggests Hilary should be deprived of her s Curitiba guards, just because she wants to stop all the mindless shootings that take place periodically over there.

Man's off his head.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 17-Sep-16 09:46:59

I would offer to reciprocate, but they'll have to carry me out of here feet first. smile

(Hard luck Lara)

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 17-Sep-16 09:43:00

Where on earth did that come from Anya? Why would I want you, or anyone else for that matter, to sod off the site?

DaphneBroon Sat 17-Sep-16 09:31:22

Not only do some threads go round in circles, Anya , some are like the Oozlum bird which flies round in *ever-decreasing circles until it flies up its own fundament.
The oozlum bird, also spelt ouzelum, is a legendary creature found in Australian and British folk tales and legends. Some versions have it that, when startled, the bird will take off and fly around in ever-decreasing circles until it manages to fly up itself, disappearing completely, which adds to its rarity
Oozlum bird - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Oozlum...
grin
(Don't go, this is just one of those Saturday morning spats)

Rhinestone Sat 17-Sep-16 09:30:28

Each state is granted a number of electors based on their population size. The electors don't have to but usually do cast their vote for the candidate who wins the popular vote. As a citizen our vote does not directly elect our President and Vice President.
So let me give an example. Florida is allowed 29 electoral votes. Whoever wins the popular vote in that state gets the electors to cast 29 votes for that state. But each state gets a different amount of electoral votes. So that's why you can win the popular vote and still not become President.

Rhinestone Sat 17-Sep-16 09:22:54

Tegan we have the Green Party candidate, Jill Stein and the Libertarian party candidate, Gary Johnson. But like I said our system is not set up to allow a third party to win. We have an Electoral College which gives each state so many votes based on the size of the state. You can win the popular vote but not win the position

Stansgran Sat 17-Sep-16 09:22:39

Anya please stay.

Anya Sat 17-Sep-16 08:42:44

OK jingl I get it.

I'll sod off the site them as it seems to be what you want.

hermione23 Sat 17-Sep-16 06:52:49

I don't understand how she got pneumonia, don't they vaccinate against it in the States? I went to have my blood pressure taken by my GP earlier this year and vaccinated pneumonia and shingles.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 16-Sep-16 22:31:38

DH forty years older actually.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 16-Sep-16 22:29:45

My DH and my DS both had pneumonia at the same time. Different kind each. Son three years old. DH a bit older.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 16-Sep-16 22:04:51

Well, I'd already googled it. I like to know what I'm talking about. How else could I contribute these words of wisdom?

Jalima Fri 16-Sep-16 22:02:13

can I be bothered to google it though, unless I really really needed to know; a quick snippet on here is probably enough information for my little brain grin

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 16-Sep-16 21:49:36

Oh I do apologise. There was me thinking we could all google NHS stuff.

Sorry for interjecting my "words of wisdom". hmm

Anya Fri 16-Sep-16 21:45:43

Thanks *Jalima^