Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boundary change will cut MP numbers by 50

(16 Posts)
Anniebach Tue 13-Sep-16 15:11:20

These changes should not have been made with outdated figures

POGS Tue 13-Sep-16 15:07:32

I think there is a good case for reducing the number of MP's in Westminster and the House of Lords too. I know I have read posts over the years that is the view of others.

'Gerrymandering' has indeed caused a favourable advantage to one party or another over the years but I genuinely believe the Independent Boundary Commission has set the bar in a non political level and says it is willing to engage with any area that it accepts it has made a possible error.

This is a reasonable article from the Lib Dem Voice.

www.libdemvoice.org/labour-party-gerrymandering-recalling-the-only-occasion-in-a-century-when-a-party-has-interfered-with-electoral-boundaries-20559.html

Anniebach Tue 13-Sep-16 15:01:46

In the early seventies there were boundery changes , we were stationed in Brynmawr - which the police hated - when Brynmawr was moved into .gwent there was a huge celebration for police who were and had been stationed there . Untill then Brecon and Radnor had been labour for years, never been since the loss of Brynmawr

thatbags Tue 13-Sep-16 14:12:47

Didn't a previous Tory government make boundary changes before? Thatcher era?

Anniebach Tue 13-Sep-16 13:53:47

Who said it had ANYTHING to do with Corbyn? He dies not control my thoughts 24 hours a day

dramatictessa Tue 13-Sep-16 13:32:55

ab, this has NOTHING to do with Jeremy Corbyn. In fact, his constituency is one which will be badly affected by this change.

Anniebach Tue 13-Sep-16 11:46:59

I have never supported the lords but an elected second chamber does not give me confidence

Anniebach Tue 13-Sep-16 11:45:06

I know Gracesgran

Gagagran Tue 13-Sep-16 10:59:50

It goes on the size of the electorate though Ab not the geographical area. They are trying to make them all as similar as possible.

Anniebach Tue 13-Sep-16 10:07:17

I live in the largest constituency in Wales and England, it has now been made larger , approx 90 miles from south to north

JessM Tue 13-Sep-16 09:08:46

This change will probably last for a good many years. it transcends individual politicians.

I'm sure a lot of people would agree about the House of Lords being more important larget for "reform". it is now the biggest legislative body outside the People's Republic of China I believe.

Anniebach Tue 13-Sep-16 09:03:21

I am just about past caring, Corbyn and the cult has finished the labour party and made sure we have a Tory government for many a year. Jeremy's ego is far more important to his followers than the vunerable

daphnedill Tue 13-Sep-16 08:51:21

I've looked up the proposed changes for my area. Essex is all Conservative, so they'll be losing a seat or two. What strikes me about my new constituency is that it cuts across all sorts of district boundaries and will lose the sense of being a local constituency. It's a very strange shape and will be difficult for the MP to know it all.

One of the arguments against PR has been that people would no longer have a 'local' MP, because the constituencies would be bigger with a number of representatives. That argument has now been undermined, but I'm still not holding my breath that we'll have PR any time soon.

Anniebach Tue 13-Sep-16 08:20:39

A labour councillor in .cardiff and a member of Momentum said this is the opertunity for replacing MP's who have not been loyal to Jeremy

sunseeker Tue 13-Sep-16 08:20:22

I would prefer to see a reduction in the numbers in the House of Lords. Most MPs (of all parties) work hard for their constituents whereas the Lords are unelected and many seem to just turn up for the daily allowance

JessM Tue 13-Sep-16 07:42:52

This news is no surprise for people involved in politics as the legislation was passed by the coalition government.
The number of MPs would be cut from 533 to 501 in England, from 40 to 29 in Wales, from 59 to 53 in Scotland and from 18 to 17 in Northern Ireland.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/wales
The claim is that it will be "fairer" with constituencies of similar voter numbers. However the constituency workload of MPs is also affected by the demographics (kind of problems brought to them) and geography. Wales will reduce the number of MPs by a quarter and some areas will be even bigger to travel around.
The change will be advantageous to the Tory party.