Gransnet forums

News & politics

Q When is a ceasefire not a ceasefire?

(7 Posts)
Swanny Sat 17-Sep-16 22:06:47

A When US forces are involved ...

According to the BBC News site 'The US-led coalition has admitted its planes carried out an attack in eastern Syria that the Russian army says killed at least 62 Syrian troops fighting IS.
The US said its planes halted the attack in Deir al-Zour when informed of the Syrian presence and would not knowingly strike them.
The strikes allowed IS jihadists to advance, the Russians said.
Russia earlier said the current ceasefire in Syria was in danger of collapse and the US would be to blame.
The cessation of hostilities does not include attacks by the US on IS or other jihadist groups.

Penstemmon Sat 17-Sep-16 22:30:37

Seems Russia and US are carrying out thoer own war and using Syria as their battle ground. They are only Arabs after all!

(I am being ironic..just in case anyone thought that was in bad taste ... my grandmother and other family members are Arabs)

tanith Sat 17-Sep-16 22:35:07

Well as you rightly say the ceasefire did not include attacks on IS or other jihadist groups and the Americans claim that is who they were attacking they made a mistake and now they will pay the price which will probably be the breakdown of the ceasefire.

The whole thing was destined for disaster before it began how could anyone hope that the Russians and the Americans could every cooperate successfully. I watch with not much hope of success. sad

Swanny Sat 17-Sep-16 22:52:43

As you say tanith 'The whole thing was destined for disaster before it began how could anyone hope that the Russians and the Americans could every cooperate successfully.'

However they have done before - just think Yalta.

I shall watch this scenario with interest but have an early start tomorrow so am now leaving this with you GNetters.

Penstemmon Sat 17-Sep-16 22:59:33

US has said it was them who made the error....

tanith Sat 17-Sep-16 23:05:06

I'm afraid the Americans seem to have a history of bombing the wrong targets.

absent Sun 18-Sep-16 06:14:46

Always.