Gransnet forums

News & politics

Foreigners

(619 Posts)
Granny23 Wed 05-Oct-16 12:09:59

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/firms-must-list-foreign-workers-gw20ndp5x

Saw this report this am and my blood ran cold. Is this - lists of all foreigners - not the beginning of a very slippery slope which leads to yellow stars sewn on to clothing?

I'm wondering what constitutes a 'FOREIGNER'? Surely not my very good French born Scottish friend who has lived, worked, been married in the UK for nearly 50 years? Or the 3rd generation Asian Scots who run our local convenience store? Or the music teacher who coaches the Wee Community steel band - she's from the USA (and one of the drummers is (shock horror) German. Or the Syrian and Polish families now at school with my DGC. What about DH's Consultants? The last one was from New Zealand, the Current one is, I think, Indian. Will the Houses of Parliament have to list all the MPs and Lords who were born elsewhere.

Am I the only one to hear alarm bells ringing in my ears more loudly than usual? Have we reached a tipping point, where rampant British Nationalism is the only mantra?

durhamjen Wed 26-Oct-16 12:48:34

Sorry, Maizie, just realised you put it higher up.
Good news needs to be spread more often.

durhamjen Wed 26-Oct-16 12:47:01

Some good news for foreign students.

www.politics.co.uk/news/2016/10/25/may-s-student-deportation-programme-in-tatters-as-legal-appe

JessM Wed 26-Oct-16 11:57:20

Foreign students should be viewed as "exports" not "immigrants".
Our bone-headed PM seems to think she is still Home Secretary with an objective set by her boss to reduce numbers of immigrants. It makes no sense at all to include students in the figures.
Ushering all students out through the door the minute they have graduated will have a seriously damaging effect on scientific research and on the software industry.
In some areas of science we do not produce enough postgraduates with UK nationality, in order to fill the needs of research teams doing vital work. UK scientists have their heads in their hands over this stupidity on May's part.

durhamjen Wed 26-Oct-16 10:22:59

Do they get kicked out if they tell the truth?

Granny23 Wed 26-Oct-16 10:21:18

Going back to my OP, I was very proud of my French/Scottish Friend when she mustered all her courage and spoke in the debate re foreign nationals at the SNP conference. She opened by saying 'I am French by birth, Scottish by choice and European by culture' and then lost about half her allotted time as the delegates cheered and applauded.

I don't suppose many of you saw her because TV coverage of the Conference was, as always, very restricted (I watched on a live link) but if you did you will have noted the completely opposite welcoming attitude to 'foreigners' than that expressed at the other Party Conferences, especially when the Brain family, who, having come from Australia on a student visa, with right to stay, were subjected to years of hounding by the home office, after the rules changed and have finally been given leave to stay, appeared on stage.

PS Have heard on facebook that the Brain family have now received a standard questionnaire from the Home Office asking them to rate the service they have received grin

trisher Tue 25-Oct-16 22:53:05

Foreign students bring in huge amounts of cash to Universities. That's why many unis are advertising in foreign countries trying to attract new students. It is big business.

durhamjen Tue 25-Oct-16 22:12:11

Maizie, one of those detention centres was closed down, and has now been reopened to take the Calais refugees.

durhamjen Tue 25-Oct-16 22:08:23

Foreign students have their fees and grants paid for by the country they come from. They don't get finance from the UK.
Universities are going to lose a lot of money from May's insistance on reducing the number of foreign students coming here. Lots have decided not to bother.

rosesarered Tue 25-Oct-16 21:06:22

Exactly.

daphnedill Tue 25-Oct-16 20:42:30

@Jane10

I'm not suggesting that he was at a bogus college. The people Iknow who have been affected were at Cambridge, which I think would be highly offended to be called bogus.

I agree with suzied that it was a very heavy-handed way to go about cracking down on the bogus colleges and students.

However, rules are rules and I don't suppose 'luck' had anything to do with it. No matter how nice and respectable the couple are, they have to obey the rules like everybody else caught up in them.

MaizieD Tue 25-Oct-16 20:10:47

She certainly demonstrated the bee in her bonnet here:
www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2014/12/02/without-due-process-how-britain-deported-50-000-students
This was the start of it in 2014

There has apparently just been a legal ruling on the process:

www.politics.co.uk/news/2016/10/25/may-s-student-deportation-programme-in-tatters-as-legal-appe

and here, from March:
www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2016/03/23/disaster-for-theresa-may-as-legal-ruling-brings-student-depo

I don't quite understand why there are 2 legal rulings 7 months apart. Did the Home oOffice appeal, I wonder?

Anyway, it's an apalling story

Jane10 Tue 25-Oct-16 19:15:39

He was absolutely not at a bogus college. A reputable uni. I think they were just extremely unlucky. Not pushy types at all. They are not even allowed to apply to come back here again.

suzied Tue 25-Oct-16 18:45:26

Probably because there was / is a huge scam with bogus "colleges" recruiting "students" as a cover for illegal immigration. Also bogus "students" applying for student loans and then disappearing along with said colleges. I wouldn't think this would be so difficult to check up on, however, T May cut funding to border force at the time.

durhamjen Tue 25-Oct-16 17:34:57

Both of my son's partners did that. However, they have been here over twenty years, so it will be interesting to see what happens to them after Brexit.

It would be interesting to find out why May doesn't like foreign students.

daphnedill Tue 25-Oct-16 17:26:35

I don't know all the ins and outs of this, but I do know that Theresa May cracked down on students staying in the UK after their study has finished. He could apply for a Tier 2 visa, but he'd have to be working in a specific job and earning a minimum amount. The amounts vary depending on the job, but they're on the government website.

This has seriously affected a number of postgraduate researchers, who come to university in the UK. In the past, they've stayed on to do research and part-time lecturing, but this isn't particularly well paid and they have to leave the UK the day after their course finishes. A number of so-called illegal immigrants are, in fact, postgraduate students who have overstayed their visas, because the rules changed. Theresa May seems to have a bee in her bonnet about students.

Jane10 Tue 25-Oct-16 15:59:19

I don't know all the details but they'd be most unlikely to have any savings. He'd come over to study then after graduation found work as did his wife to whom he was married before they moved here. So SA couple and Scottish born baby. They paid their way all along the line. Very sad.

durhamjen Tue 25-Oct-16 12:23:29

Right, I wonder why that was, then.

If he was in work it should just have been £18,600 per year.
I know that if you are not in work, you have to show that you have three times that amount in savings to cover the three years of the Visa, then apply again to have the visa extended.

Jane10 Tue 25-Oct-16 12:19:11

No they were a married couple!

durhamjen Tue 25-Oct-16 11:47:24

Is that because he was a single man from South Africa?
The £18,600 is for a man or woman born in UK who marries someone from abroad and wants his spouse to live here with him/her.

Jane10 Tue 25-Oct-16 11:42:23

The amount the young man from SA had to earn was £35k. Don't know how it was worked out. Paperwork nightmare and all appeals failed. Sent back to nothing in SA -no home and no job or chance of one. Not a story that made the newspapers but probably typical of lots of others.

Jalima Tue 25-Oct-16 10:52:08

Jalima- was that for a very low paid job?

No, he was paid mega-bucks, we are multi-millionaires now.

durhamjen Tue 25-Oct-16 10:34:19

There's a 67 page document to work out what the income requirements are.
The man in the link is a taxi driver who presumably is paid in cash.
The requirements are that you need bank statement evidence as well as your pay statements. So he would have to put all his pay into the bank to prove what he gets. Can't pay rent in cash or it will not be counted.
I think it's gross, Jess, but difficult to work out as the bit where it tells you is being rebuilt.

Rigby46 Tue 25-Oct-16 10:11:25

JessM I think the 35k is a minimum that non- Eu workers may eventually have to earn here to stay here?

JessM Tue 25-Oct-16 10:05:12

Oh right. Don't know where I god £35k from. The £18,600 has to be net - as in money going into the bank each month. So you'd have to be earning over £20k gross I guess.

Rigby46 Tue 25-Oct-16 09:58:03

The amount increases if you have children