Gransnet forums

News & politics

Nobel Peace Prize

(13 Posts)
DaphneBroon Fri 07-Oct-16 08:06:42

"Syrian rescue workers The White Helmets nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize"
I can think of no worthier nominees

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/syria-conflict-aleppo-white-helmets-air-strikes-nobel-peace-prize-jo-cox-a7346591.html

Jane10 Fri 07-Oct-16 08:08:03

Hear hear!

LullyDully Fri 07-Oct-16 08:17:16

I was very moved when the young man dug the baby out last week and sobbed as he held the little soul. It even made the newsreader cry along with many of us. When they got her out they said "Allah wahkbar" ( not sure how to spell that). Surely a more fitting use of ".God is great". The white helmets are doing an amazing, thankless task.

petitpois Fri 07-Oct-16 10:21:16

The announcement has been made. Sadly it wasn't the White Helmets. The Colombian president has won.

minimo Fri 07-Oct-16 10:31:31

I find it utterly ridiculous that Donald Trump was one of the nominees. I kept hoping this was a cruel joke - they don't announce the shortlist do they so we'll never know?

wot Fri 07-Oct-16 10:49:26

Disappointed the White Helmets didn't win.

LullyDully Fri 07-Oct-16 10:54:30

I think they have a few controversial links so they were careful giving the prize. Why was Trump.nominated?????

durhamjen Fri 07-Oct-16 11:49:42

Hasn't Tony Blair won it before?

The White Helmets have won the Right to Livelihood award, which is known as the alternative Nobel Prize.
Not as prestigious, and not as financially rewarding, but I'm sure they are too busy at the moment just trying to survive to be bothered.

Bluecat Fri 07-Oct-16 11:56:18

Donald Trump? Really? On the other hand, they did give it to Henry Kissinger, the man who advocated bombing Cambodia "back to the Stone Age."

The White Helmets are a testimony to human courage and compassion, in a situation where you begin to fear those qualities have ceased to exist.

durhamjen Fri 07-Oct-16 12:57:18

People have complained about them being a puppet of the West because they are funded by the US and UK governments.
Where else are they supposed to get their money from, to run ambulances and get equipment?
The Danish, German and Dutch governments also give them funding, as do many private donors.
The Syrian government is not going to, or the Russian. They are bombing the White Helmets, just as much as anyone else.

The White Helmets are being hit by double strikes. The planes go over and bomb, then come back ten minutes later and bomb in the same places again, assuming that the rescuers will be there by then.

Jane10 Fri 07-Oct-16 12:59:44

How on earth could Donald Trump be nominated? What good has he ever done in his life?

LullyDully Fri 07-Oct-16 13:15:57

Apparently just hearsay to stir things up. ( so says Google. )

Anniebach Fri 07-Oct-16 14:25:50

Blair has not been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize