Gransnet forums

News & politics

RT TV

(18 Posts)
TriciaF Wed 19-Oct-16 11:14:44

We watch all 3 - I especially like France 24 and I don't think it's particularly biased. There's usually a good debate at 6.15 pm UK time. Husband especially likes RT, and always records the Kaiser report. I don't think it's any more biased, or selective, than the BBC.
Don't forget much of the UK media is owned by the Murdochs.

POGS Wed 19-Oct-16 10:41:35

Varian

Amen to that.

varian Wed 19-Oct-16 01:00:24

It appears that RT wants to support politicians who may be able to destabalise the West irrespective of whether they aee on the left or right.

I agree that their programs might be well worth watching but do not forget to be sceptical about what is reported and how- modern propoganda is more subtle than Lord Haw-Haw

daphnedill Tue 18-Oct-16 16:47:08

I make of it that Galloway, Corbyn and Milne are openly left-wing, so it's not surprising that RT would want them to be involved. But Trump and Farage? Why? I suggest it's because they are anti-establishment, and it's in Putin's interests to undermine Western establishment.

But, hey, what do I know? I'm not a mind reader, but it's interesting. It's also why everybody should be acutely aware of the agenda of anybody writing in the media. Nothing should ever be taken at face value, because the writer will nearly always have some kind of bias and try to persuade. Media studies anyone?

POGS Tue 18-Oct-16 16:38:09

Varian

"Aparently both Trump and Farage have been offered their own shows on RT.".

Make what you want of this".

What do you make of George Galloway's program Sputnik on RT. Corbyn has made contributions to RT and RT backs Corbyn to the hilt. What do you make of Seumus Milnes connections who is pro Putin and Corbyn's Advisor/Spin Doctor?

Corbyn has been a contributor not only to RT but Iranian State TV 'Press TV' , what do you make of that.?

daphnedill Tue 18-Oct-16 15:52:30

True. If you look at PEGIDA demos in Germany, a number of Russian flags are in evidence. Russia is quite clearly targeting former Eastern Europeans and using Islam as a scapegoat.

varian Tue 18-Oct-16 15:43:25

What they all have in common is a perverted nationalism relying on the support of poorly educated white men.

daphnedill Tue 18-Oct-16 15:42:22

I agree with you, Eloethan. It seems that a number of proxy wars are being fought, for example in the Ukraine and Syria. I hope our intelligence people know what they're doing.

varian Tue 18-Oct-16 15:39:52

Farage has already appeared on a platform giving his support toTrump

Eloethan Tue 18-Oct-16 15:38:50

I think RT provides some balance. It is biased, but then so are our own media sources.

I am very concerned at what appears to be a ramping up of tension between Russia and Europe/USA and the attempt to "close down" voices that do not accord with the "received wisdom" of our own news media. It amounts to censorship and, in my view, that can be a very dangerous road to go down.

daphnedill Tue 18-Oct-16 15:34:32

Which one is going to play the role of Lord Haw Haw?

varian Tue 18-Oct-16 15:07:55

Yes

Ana Tue 18-Oct-16 14:48:48

Are you really saying that the British people who voted to Leave were influenced by that shower? I doubt it very much...

varian Tue 18-Oct-16 14:31:36

RT is controlled by the Russian state.

Amongst all the foreign leaders only Putin, Trump and the French fascist Marine le Pen supported Brexit. Their prpoganda succeeded and the UK has been irrevocably damaged.

Now Putin is doing all he can to see Trump elected- because he wants to damage the USA.

Aparently both Trump and Farage have been offered their own shows on RT.

Make what you want of this.

POGS Tue 18-Oct-16 11:03:14

I have mentioned Russia Today a few times and I agree it does have some good news reports. BUT. I am also acutely aware it is a Russian State backed station and it obvious it is bias against the west and Russia can do no harm scenario.

I pick out the good bits however and have said the news on RT and certainly Aljazeera , which I rate very much for world news, is sometimes more interesting than our news, especially the BBC which I think is poor, Sky is better.

Do you watch George Galloway on his Russia Today show called Sputnik. I enjoy watching Corbyn and Dianne Abbot if and when they are on. I remember Abbot saying once our police are 'institutionally racist' I thought hmm say that in Parliament. RT is pro Corbyn , obvious if you are a viewer, Seumas Milne is known to be pro Russia a win win situation as some say.

It's a case of picking out the factual news from the politics but I am intrigued about the bank account being frozen.

daphnedill Tue 18-Oct-16 09:11:29

I agree with you. I'm always aware there could be bias, but they all report world news more comprehensively than UK channels do and it's always good to get a different perspective.

I'll reserve judgment, but it all seems odd.

CelticRose Tue 18-Oct-16 09:02:21

I watch these news channels so that I can be doing something else with my hands; ie, baking, sewing, knitting, crochet, etc. But because RT have just had their bank account closed in UK, and the UK Parliament were shown in various stages of discussion regarding RT, I went on to RT news website for the first time - which is just as good as their TV reporting, but keeps my hands busy on the keyboard unfortunately.

CelticRose Tue 18-Oct-16 08:40:49

Being a channel hopper - I like this channel, as well as Al Jazeera and France 24. (I hadn't thought any of these channels subversive, but informative and less staid than Sky News or BBC - apart from radio World Service.) Their news is also reported - albeit in condensed form - in newspapers across UK, France & Germany. This channel has/is being discussed by MPs in Parliament! Haven't they got better matters to sort out. Just watching RT Kaiser Report - Global Finance where the "Telegraph" is often quoted. How subversive can that be?