Gransnet forums

News & politics

Refugees

(17 Posts)
Luckygirl Fri 04-Nov-16 18:15:31

I have just read this extraordinary book and wanted to share with you the review I have written for the parish magazine, as I thought some people might also like to read the book......

The Lightless Sky, Gulwali Passarlay (with Nadene Ghouri)

On a sinking boat in the Mediterranean over-filled with refugees, many of whom were locked below decks in basically a floating coffin. No food and no sanitary facilities, surrounded by vomit and excrement. Aged 12.........

“It helped to try and focus on my mother's steely determination and imagine her voice urging me not to give up:”Be safe, and do not come back.” They had been her last words to me and my brother [aged 13] before she sent us both away to find sanctuary in strange lands. She had done it to try and save our lives, to help us escape from men who wanted us dead.” One can only imagine her desperation.

Gulwali found himself, young as he was, caught between the US “liberators”, who wanted to recruit him as an informer, and the Taliban, who wanted him for a fighter or a martyr in their “jihad.” His father, a respected doctor had already been shot. Just like the famous Malala Yousafzai, Gulwali and his family initially welcomed the Taliban as a force for order following years of unrest. The true nature of their distortion of Islam and their inhumanity only gradually became apparent.

This is the harrowing story of a 12 year old Afghan boy and his year-long journey both to safety in England and from one culture to another: from the little boy who thought nothing of ordering the women around him to cover their heads and who witnessed the stoning of a woman accused of adultery, to a highly educated young man making his way in the western world.

It lays bare the worldwide network of ruthless agents profiting from human misery, the barbarity of the French police, the tortuous British bureaucracy, and the casual and dehumanising degradation inflicted on refugees all across Europe.

It was something of a relief to hear him describe the British police as “well-mannered” and to know that he found happiness in a British foster family and a good education here in Britain which turned his life around, but we cannot pat ourselves on the back while the Calais “Jungle” (Gulwali's home for many months) is being dismantled and vulnerable people are scattered indiscriminately around the world.

“I had been travelling for almost a year. In that time, any childhood innocence had long since left me. I had suffered unspeakable indignities and dangers, watched men get beaten to a pulp, jumped from a speeding train, been left to suffocate for days on end in boiling-hot trucks, trekked over treacherous, mountainous border crossings, been imprisoned twice, and had bullets fired at me by border guards. There had rarely been a day when I had not witnessed man's inhumanity to man.”

So what is the solution? We are facing the worst refugee crisis in recent history – tens of thousands of people are wandering the world, fleeing persecution, starved, beaten, treated like animals and discarded like flotsam. I have no answers, but I do know that this young man's chronicle will touch hearts and perhaps change minds. He forces us to see this human “flood” that fills our TV screens daily as more than an amorphous mass, but as a collection of our fellows, individuals who share out common humanity.

He remains a faithful follower of Islam – for him, jihad is “a holy war within oneself........I suppose you can call this the battle within all of us: it is a fight we must fight in different ways – whatever faith we may come from. I fight my jihad so I can go on loving. The enemy of love is not hate, it is indifference. The enemy of love is turning away from those in need. The enemy of love is doing nothing when you can help your fellow man.”

Im68Now Sat 05-Nov-16 08:46:32

I do hope that you're going to put a couple of Family's up in your House.

We know the problems, its solutions that wanted.

Luckygirl Sat 05-Nov-16 09:05:55

Indeed.

Just flagging up the book as I think others would like to read it. As I said, I have no easy solutions, but the book is very powerful and puts a human face on the news bulletins.

I would happily put up refugees in my home; but my OH would not be able to cope with this as he has PD.

I have no idea what else we can do. I wish I did.

BlueBelle Sat 05-Nov-16 09:20:21

That's harsh Iam68 and very sarcastic, showing people what's going on in the world doesn't need critism and yes if you are interested I do have my name on the list for housing a refugee and have spent the last year volunteering for this cause , sometimes publicity as to the side of the crisis that the media rarely show you, can be extremely powerful. the first time I felt compelled to start doing some positive work was with the publicity of Aylan Kurdi s body being washed up on the shore although I had been following the news a lot longer and feeling helpless but that spurred me into becoming proactive If this book opens one persons eyes it will have value

There may be no answers at the moment but there can be care, love and physical help it's better than nothing

Im68Now Sat 05-Nov-16 09:29:26

Harsh it may be, but very truthful,we in the west are more worried about the price of petrol.

vampirequeen Sat 05-Nov-16 09:29:45

I don't see how putting a couple of families up in your house is going to solve the problem.

The crisis is so big that it can only be dealt with at a government level.

Firstly we have to accept responsibility for what has caused most of these people to run. We and other developed countries intervened in Iraq which led to that country collapsing. This lead to the rise of ISIS. The we intervened in Libya and messed up North Africa. Now we're interfering in other countries in the regions either by the use of airstrikes and the selling of arms. Our actions are the cause of the refugee crisis.

Secondly we need to help people at the point of entry. It's no good leaving the entry country to cope on it's own. Look at what's happening in Greece. No one country can deal with this on their own. We need to assess these people quickly and move them on to a holding camp where they will wait no more than 26 weeks otherwise the camp will become a long term refugee camp which we don't want. In that 26 weeks they would be allocated to a sanctuary country. There should be language and western lifestyle teaching so that no misunderstandings occur.

After 26 weeks they move to their sanctuary country where they would be allocated a home etc. They should be spread over the country to avoid overloading any one area. Support workers should be in place to help both the refugees and the existing residents.

Most refugees don't want to stay. They'd love to go home but atm they have no home to go to and when the time is right to return they'll need further help. Any refugee who commits a crime loses the right to sanctuary and should be sent back to whence they came.

Now all this is going to cost money so where will it come from. Well I suggest an extra tax on all arms companies. As their goods helped to cause the refugee crisis they least they can do is help pay for the relief work. Also an extra tax on all dividends paid out to shareholders for the same reason. I acknowledge this won't pay all the costs but it will help. The rest will fall on the developed world but that seems fair enough because if we'd kept out of other countries this wouldn't have happened

Im68Now Sat 05-Nov-16 09:35:01

Why don't we welcome refugees, simple question but no straight answer.

rosesarered Sat 05-Nov-16 10:00:45

This book sounds similar to The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns, which feature most if what you mention Lucky ( works of fiction of course, but based on some true scenarios in some cases.)Afghanistan has become a hell hole.
The French authorities should never have allowed 'the jungle' to start up never mind spread, and should have taken ALL under 18 out of there and housed them properly!
Since the UK paid them massive amounts of money, they have now cleared the camp, proving that it could have been done at any time.
As a country we have also given massive amounts to refugee camps for the Syrian people who are too poor to pay people smugglers.
I think that humanity and kindness have been shown to very many refugees from Syria and Afghanistan in some of the countries they encountered, but the extreme numbers and the fact that so many people on the move came from Africa or Pakistan as economic migrants at the same time, hampered help enormously.
On an individual level, it's always easier to help somebody.
It's good that the boy who came here did well.smile

vampirequeen Sat 05-Nov-16 10:29:45

Are you saying that because the Gulf States haven't taken in any refugees then no one should?

Or blaming the Gulf States for our lack of empathy and aid for the refugees?

Whether we like it or not these people are running for their lives. We have a duty as human beings to help them no matter what others choose to do.

I suggest you read this www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34131911 and note that most refugees are from countries where we have intervened. We are reaping what we have sown.

vampirequeen Sat 05-Nov-16 10:32:27

Where the refugees running to.

rosesarered Sat 05-Nov-16 10:46:30

Who are your post to VQ?

Luckygirl Sat 05-Nov-16 11:20:51

I am very much not suggesting that I have a simple answer but totally agree with VQ's analysis of some of the causes of the crisis.

roses - the book I reviewed differs from those you mentioned in that it is a detailed chronicle of the fate of refugees on their actual journeys - it is truly horrifying the cruelty that they are subjected to. I felt that the book reminded me that these are individuals with their own families that they have left behind. We all know that, but this book brings it home in a very powerful way.

The only solution is a worldwide one - the UN does not seem to be taking this on. And in the long term there needs to be the political will to curb the arms trade and to look for real solutions. Basic to this is a proper objective analysis of how the west's actions have impinged on the situation, so that we can try and avoid the same situations arising again.

merlotgran Sat 05-Nov-16 11:30:16

Iam68, Your first picture is a load of melodramatic tosh. Do you really think we should be ashamed because countries surrounding the Med rely/have relied on tourist money for the benefit of their economy?

Look what has happened to Tunisia. Their tourist industry is completely wrecked. I bet they'd love to see their beaches filled with cocktail swigging, sun lounging visitors once again.

granjura Sat 05-Nov-16 14:08:10

Iam68. I was really shocked by your comment- how cynical. But for the grace of God ...these children could be my grand children- your grand children too.

A Sports centre that has been closed for a few years, right up in the mountains about 1 mile from us, as just been bought by the Government to house refugees. Totally unsuitable I'd say, not because I am a NIMBY - but because it is totally isolated- no transport, no shops, NOTHING apart from beautiful countryside- and ... 1/2 a mile from the French border- and they could reach the nearest French town in 45 mins walk across the mountain and be up in Calais in a day or two.

There is an information meeting one evening this week- and I am dreading going because I know the local population overall will react like you- and I am dreading these poor people arriving and be treated like dirt by many. We still don't know if it is going to be families- in which case it won't be too bad- but if it is young men on their own- I just don't know how it will work out. We will do everything we can to support them, with the staff - and try to be two of the friendly and welcoming faces out of a sea of disapproval bordering on hate ... Sure they will love to speak English with us, as very few do in this rural area- and I will probably volunteer to teach French.

But for the grace of God ... Yes, those two books should be read by all roses.

TriciaF Sat 05-Nov-16 19:12:56

Just for information - there was a report in our local paper (SW France) about 19 Afghan youths (15-17) who had been bussed from Calais, housed temporarily here. They ALL want to go to the UK because they have family there.
Some officials from the UK have come with them to check out their credentials.

Luckygirl Sat 05-Nov-16 19:29:18

Good to know they are being safely housed Tricia. But it seems a bit batty to move the so far with UK officials on tow!

TriciaF Sat 05-Nov-16 20:28:25

I wouldn't be surprised if some of them try to return to Calais. Language could be a big problem - they're more likely to be able to speak english, than french.
Those from Africa are more likely to speak french.I'm not sure about the Syrians, both France and England had a foothold there at one time. Mostly France (plus Lebanon.)