Gransnet forums

News & politics

Who'll be marching with Farage?

(56 Posts)
MaizieD Mon 07-Nov-16 15:59:30

"Nigel Farage is planning to lead a 100,000-strong march to the Supreme Court to coincide with the start of the Government’s attempt to stop peers and MPs delaying Brexit."

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/06/nigel-farage-to-lead-100000-strong-march-on-supreme-court-on-day/

Interesting to see if he gets his 100,000. Any of you lot?

Ginny42 Mon 14-Nov-16 08:42:36

Morgana, there's a very fine line between agreement and offence when discussing politics and some people don't realise it's wrong to just 'assume'. I was at a dinner party for my sister's birthday last week where at one point Brexit was being discussed to my left and Trump to my right.

I decided to remain silent in the middle as I didn't want to make a scene! My sister and I just exchanged silent groans, but things are best left when people are being dogmatic, and I think rude, at a birthday party.

One man stated, 'I hate Trump, he's a b**** but I'm glad he got in.' hmm Veryconfused Hope he didn't assume I agree. Perhaps my silence spoke louder than words.

JessM Mon 14-Nov-16 08:36:02

He's using his salary to fund his lifestyle as a party leader. Along with a few contributions from Trump and Aaron Banks.
Gill is under investigation for using some of his salary to fund his political campaign to be elected to the Assembly.
Despite the numbers that vote for them, UKIP don't seem to have many party members in some areas (see footage of leadership hustings with about 20 people attending).
When I have seen candidates at Counts they don't seem to have more than one or two supporters, and those possibly family.
The picture might be different in other parts of the country though.

Anniebach Mon 14-Nov-16 08:34:48

All the tv coverage he is getting will help IKIP

Ginny42 Mon 14-Nov-16 08:23:12

I wonder if he's been asking for funds for the next GE here. That might explain why he was visiting Trump with the VP of UKIP. Can they accept funding from abroad?

Morgana Sun 13-Nov-16 22:36:11

No idea why people think I share their racist views! I have friends and family of both left and right persuasions
Might be my age or where I live? But really no idea why!

Anniebach Sun 13-Nov-16 22:12:01

More chance of a pig flying Tegan

Tegan Sun 13-Nov-16 22:05:46

Maybe he's donating his wages to charity#pigsmightfly...

daphnedill Sun 13-Nov-16 21:57:55

I've wondered that too, Tegan. He'll be drawing his EU salary for at least another two and a bit years...not that he's ever seen the job as anything other than being a passenger on the gravy train (which he allegedly abhors).

When's this march taking place? With a bit of luck, it will be in London and he can be arrested as a traitor, hauled off to the Tower and pushed into an oubliette. grin

I guess you have to give him credit for being the conman of the decade. It's sad, because it says something about his followers.

Ana Sun 13-Nov-16 21:56:37

How odd, Morgana! What sort of people are they, who address racist remarks to you and assume you agree...? confused

JessM Sun 13-Nov-16 21:53:16

Yes he is still and MEP and swanning around on the proceeds.
And apart from an Irish MP who has some problems and has never voted, he's has the worst voting record of all the MEPs.

www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/only-one-person-eu-parliament-8302643

norose4 Sun 13-Nov-16 21:10:35

Well I suppose as he is so in kuhoots (not sure spelling correct!) with Trump he go be in charge of deportation to get some experience before trying to instigate here!!!!!!

Morgana Sun 13-Nov-16 20:59:18

All very worrying. I am now starting To challenge people who make racist remarks to me assuming I agree. Can't work out why they think this. As to F a rage. Let's hope trump offers him a job in the USA. What would he be good at?

Ginny42 Sun 13-Nov-16 20:37:38

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37965089

Farage and Trump yesterday when, according to a spokesperson, they had a very productive meeting and had talked about "freedom and winning and what all this means for the world".

But who is Nigel Farage representing? Why would Trump spend time so soon after the election with the interim leader of UKIP and an MEP for a small area of England, if as Farage claimed, he was 'just a tourist'?

Has he been sent by the Government? Although David Davies has denied that.

What is going on?

Tegan Sun 13-Nov-16 19:40:48

Isn't he still being paid as a EU MP, and getting £1,000 a month more than before because of the exchange rate? If so, why isn't he there, working??

Anniebach Sun 13-Nov-16 19:26:02

I wish he would

Jalima Sun 13-Nov-16 19:13:28

I thought he'd emigrated!

whitewave Sun 13-Nov-16 19:11:57

Love the way they are always so keen to distance themselves from Le Penn. She seems to think there isn't a cigarette paper between them, which is true.

He'll have to try to keep his distance from the national front crowd on Monday - how bizarre.

Tegan Sun 13-Nov-16 18:54:39

I thought the only good thing about brexit was that I would no longer have to constantly see old frogface in the news; how wrong I was sad.

JessM Sun 13-Nov-16 18:35:13

Suspect Farage adores being the centre of attention, hence alacrity with which he agreed to run the party (again) and the alacrity with which he called in the president elect.
One can only hope that the party implodes. At the moment we have Gill in Wales who is a UKIP MEP but can't get on with Hamilton in the Assembly so is no longer part of the UKIP group there. Technically an independent. What next one wonders.

Ginny42 Sat 12-Nov-16 21:52:24

The Guardian, the Mail and the Indie report that Farage has been seen going into Trump Towers. So the Interim UKIP leader gets to see Mr Trump before any other British politician.

Does he have a not so subtle plan?

Reminiscent of Lord Edmund Blackadder: Baldrick, you wouldn't see a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord, singing "Subtle plans are here again!"

norose4 Thu 10-Nov-16 16:29:25

Glad I didn't imagine it Daphnedill , I think he is now changing in to a complete megalomaniac ? Bit worrying really with another one just voted in! Boys & their toys comes to mind , a lot of powerful men lack the most basic skills of diplomacy !!!

Deedaa Tue 08-Nov-16 20:29:52

I just think the last thing we need at the moment is Farage encouraging people to march!

daphnedill Tue 08-Nov-16 20:27:24

I heard Farage say the same thing, norose. During the interview just before the referendum, he said that if the vote was to leave, that was his only aim. He hadn't a clue what would happen afterwards and didn't seem to care.

JessM Tue 08-Nov-16 19:20:19

Yuk tegan. Yes there is a certain irony with T May (like T rex?) relaxing visa regs for wealthy Indians etc isn't there. But we will have to get qualified immigrants from somewhere to work in a range of sectors (health, computer programming etc) so only to be expected.
It staggers me how rich men like Farage and Trump who are so transparently disingenuous when they say they are ordinary chaps, or on the side of the working man (sic) can fool people so successfully.

norose4 Tue 08-Nov-16 18:57:49

In ref to Tegan's post