Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jo Cox Assassin convicted

(128 Posts)
JessM Wed 23-Nov-16 22:28:13

The man who assassinated Jo Cox was sent to prison today, probably for the rest of his life. I am glad that the judge was clear that it was a political crime - she was not some random victim but was picked out by a right wing terrorist because of her political beliefs and activities.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXAAvU1VGZg&app=desktop

Jalima Sun 27-Nov-16 22:52:35

Getting back to the OP - yes I agree.

Jalima Sun 27-Nov-16 22:48:53

Hope the kipper was good

This thread is going down the same drain route

#*DisgustedofTunbridgeWells*.

thatbags Sun 27-Nov-16 20:33:30

grin

Elegran Sun 27-Nov-16 18:20:56

When you are concerned about other people's newspaper reading, Bags, you are supposed to Write Letters To The Papers,. Not the ones that you are concerned about, naturally, as they are hardly likely to print them, but to the others, where the readers will be equally concerned. If you are up-to-date and not a technophobe, you could Post On Facebook And Other Social Networking Sites.

Ana Sun 27-Nov-16 18:16:34

And read the DM every day to make sure you don't miss an opportunity to point out yet another racist/fascist/misleading/biased article and bemoan how the hoi polloi are being led astray!

thatbags Sun 27-Nov-16 18:12:21

Need to go and cook a kipper

thatbags Sun 27-Nov-16 18:12:00

Oh. I'll pass on that then.

I mean, I'll pass

on that

not

that I'll pass on

that.

iyswim

Jalima Sun 27-Nov-16 18:10:41

Join the Thought Police thatbags

thatbags Sun 27-Nov-16 18:10:00

Wish someone'd tell me what I'm supposed to do once I'm 'concerned' about other people's newspaper reading habits.

daphnedill Sun 27-Nov-16 17:23:11

Anya is correct. Psychopathy is not a recognised psychiatric illness, but a personality disorder. Peter Sutcliffe was sent to Broadmoor after being diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, which is a recognised psychiatric illness.

Anniebach Sun 27-Nov-16 11:52:00

No idea Jalima, I would think if the man had received treatment the press would have found out.

Anya states a psychopath is not mentally ill, I disagree , why when they comit murder are they placed in secure hospitals . Peter Sutcliffe was declared not mentally ill so stood trial, then spent years in a secure hospital because he was after all mentally ill

Some do dismiss a psychopath as evil not ill

Jalima Sun 27-Nov-16 11:16:00

I wasn't sure if he had a diagnosis by a psychiatrist
Or if people were using the term psychopath in place of 'evil'.

Anniebach Sun 27-Nov-16 08:52:45

No idea of the man's state of mind or if he had a mental illness, I leave this to the experts here to decide

thatbags Sun 27-Nov-16 07:24:39

So, GoodKnight DJ, suppose, for the sake of argument, that I am 'concerned' about which newspapers other people read, what then?

Jalima Sun 27-Nov-16 00:03:46

and 'being depressed' or even 'depression' because of circumstances is different to clinical depression.

Jalima Sun 27-Nov-16 00:01:53

anniebach you may have met psychopaths and not been aware of it. Some (not all) psychopaths can seem very charming.
Was Mair diagnosed as a psychopath?

He apparently sought help for his depression just before but that is different (he did not get the help immediately).

durhamjen Sat 26-Nov-16 23:03:42

There are more people who buy the DM than every other paper apart from the Sun. They are given the impression that the murder of an MP is not important enough to put on the front page. They are not given the judge's summing up, so that is not considered important either.

In the month following her death 50,000 tweets by 25,000 separate people celebrated her death. Not sure how many of them are DM readers, but I really think you should be concerned about the direction this country is moving in, and who directs those people to think the way they do.

Anya Sat 26-Nov-16 22:49:48

hmm

thatbags Sat 26-Nov-16 22:49:22

Why?

durhamjen Sat 26-Nov-16 22:47:46

Perhaps you should be concerned, bags.

thatbags Sat 26-Nov-16 22:34:24

Next question?

Anniebach Sat 26-Nov-16 22:34:13

I always try to take care what I say Anya

thatbags Sat 26-Nov-16 22:33:27

Q: The thread is not about the DM, bags, but if you had read the first few posts, you would have realised that Jess mentions the DM coverage in her next post after the OP.
Is that a problem for you?
A: No.

Q: Do you only read the Times? Telegraph?

Q: Are you not concerned about what the majority of people read in their newspapers?

durhamjen Sat 26-Nov-16 22:26:25

The thread is not about the DM, bags, but if you had read the first few posts, you would have realised that Jess mentions the DM coverage in her next post after the OP.
Is that a problem for you?
Do you only read the Times? Telegraph?
Are you not concerned about what the majority of people read in their newspapers?

Anya Sat 26-Nov-16 21:47:18

That's enough AB

Be very careful what you say. For example 'depression, you may have heard of it' .... how do you know that Daphne has not suffered depression herself, or someone close to her has possible suffered?

Just think before you post sarcastically of the pain you might be inflicting or stirring up.