Gransnet forums

News & politics

New UKIP Leader

(38 Posts)
Anniebach Mon 28-Nov-16 12:37:16

Just listened to his speech, he is targeting working class labour voters , no interest in Libs or Tories

Anniebach Fri 09-Dec-16 21:46:52

I am sure many want him in the lords, better still is the tower

Elegran Fri 09-Dec-16 21:43:25

Modest little man, isn't he?

Welshwife Fri 09-Dec-16 21:40:27

I thought this was an interesting interview Farage gave about the UKIPleadership.

Nigel Farage has said he is relieved to no longer be Ukip leader because it had meant “having to deal with low-grade people every day”, in an interview where he said his £85,000-a-year salary had left him “poor” compared with his City banker friends.

Speaking to the Telegraph, Farage said he now has global ambitions beyond the Eurosceptic party, including negotiating trade deals with the US president-elect, Donald Trump, and finding a solution to the Middle East conflict.

The MEP, who also hinted he will attempt to make his eighth bid for a seat in parliament despite seven unsuccessful runs, said he was happy to continue to be a public face while Ukip’s new leader, Paul Nuttall, ran the party.

“I am having a great time,” he said. “I am not having to deal with low-grade people every day. I am not responsible for what our branch secretary in Lower Slaughter said half-cut on Twitter last night – that isn’t my fault any more. I don’t have to go to eight-hour party executive meetings.

I am not responsible for what our branch secretary in Lower Slaughter said half-cut on Twitter last night
“I don’t have to spend my life dealing with people I would never have a drink with, who I would never employ and who use me as a vehicle for their own self-promotion. There are a lot of great people in Ukip. The problem is that Ukip has become a bit like the other parties: people view it as a means to get elected.”

Farage said his years as Ukip leader had meant he had sacrificed much of his earning potential. “I have no regrets about being poor,” he said of his MEP’s salary. “I don’t drive smart cars, I don’t go on fancy holidays. All my money has gone on my kids’ education.”

Farage, who was the first international leader to meet Trump after his election victory, said he still hoped he could have a role to play in the US-UK relationship.

Nigel Farage addresses a public meeting at Sleaford Legionaires Club ahead of the Sleaford and North Hykeham byelection.
Facebook Twitter Pinterest
Nigel Farage addresses a public meeting ahead of the Sleaford and North Hykeham byelection. Photograph: Christopher Furlong/Getty Images
Downing Street has insisted he would not have any formal role whatsoever, despite the president-elect tweeting that he believed Farage should be the UK’s next ambassador to Washington.

Farage suggested one role he could potentially play for Trump was a Middle East peace negotiator. “I’m not suggesting that I can do everything, but I do think that I’m quite good at negotiating. I’m quite good at bringing people together,” he said.

Although the former Ukip leader has had several Conservative MPs tip him for a seat in the House of Lords, Farage said he wanted to keep his options open for the next general election.

“I can’t close that off. It means too much to me,” he said. “Look, I hope, genuinely, that Brexit means Brexit and the job is done and there is no need for me. I really hope that’s it. But with every week that goes by, I think it might not be, so I’ll have to stick at it.”

A Ukip spokesman declined to comment on Farage’s remarks about the party.

Cherrytree59 Fri 09-Dec-16 19:53:45

It has been said ...
'it maybe difficult to catch a thief
But very easy to catch a liar"

whitewave Fri 09-Dec-16 19:43:54

It always astounds me when people lie like that. How do they think they will never be found out. Makes you wonder about their intelligence.

daphnedill Fri 09-Dec-16 19:33:32

There's also some dispute about whether he ever played for Tranmere, even in the youth squad. It appears he probably attended youth training camps.

daphnedill Fri 09-Dec-16 19:32:24

His CV has also been changed from 'lecturer at Liverpool Hope University' to 'lectured at...'. It has been revealed that he was never a permanent member of staff, but did a bit of part-time lecturing on short term contracts.

JessM Fri 09-Dec-16 19:23:12

No Phd actually. That was a bare-faced lie, confirmed by the university that he claims to have studied in. He registered for a Phd. He did not complete it. He also lied about having been a professional footballer. Played on the youth squad for a while is all.

yggdrasil Tue 29-Nov-16 09:28:34

It worried me, when I heard his policies, that he was not too far from Britain First. I can't see how that is supposed to appeal to Labour voters, but after the referendum result, where so many voted against their own interests in protest, anything could happen sad

durhamjen Mon 28-Nov-16 22:35:39

I was just joking, daphne....on the other hand, we said that about Trump.
He's got a BA, CertEd and PHD, so he's quite intelligent.

daphnedill Mon 28-Nov-16 22:24:39

He'll never be PM. The danger is that he'll push others to go on the defensive. Some of his populist policy will appeal to traditional Labour voters.

durhamjen Mon 28-Nov-16 22:17:40

There's a list of ten reasons to not vote for him, Deedaa, on the hopenothate link. It includes what he thinks on climate change. Of course, now he's leader he could change his mind, just like Trump. Or does he have to be PM before he does that?

Deedaa Mon 28-Nov-16 21:40:47

I gather Nuttall is a climate change sceptic - just what we need ....NOT!

durhamjen Mon 28-Nov-16 20:36:29

Nuttall's ideas on the NHS.

www.facebook.com/labourparty/videos/10154015947617411/

We're to blame.

Anniebach Mon 28-Nov-16 20:34:06

Just what is ? stereotypical working class

Anniebach Mon 28-Nov-16 20:32:27

Well, Corbyn has worked hard to get him back in Jamila, if he isn't yet back he will be

durhamjen Mon 28-Nov-16 20:28:05

www.hopenothate.org.uk/ukip/

Nuttall's definitely to the right of Trump.

Jalima Mon 28-Nov-16 19:51:39

labourlist.org/2015/05/has-militants-derek-hatton-really-been-allowed-back-in-the-labour-party/
did he forge it? shock

or did he fail the probationary period?

Sorry if I gave the wrong information

Jalima Mon 28-Nov-16 19:49:11

www.itv.com/news/granada/2015-05-27/derek-hatton-re-joins-labour-party-29-years-after-expulsion/

perhaps he lied shock and I gave out misinformation

Lazigirl Mon 28-Nov-16 19:47:11

I couldn't either daphnedill.

durhamjen Mon 28-Nov-16 19:45:48

UKIP only has 39,000 members. The Women's Equality Party has 65,000.

Hasn't Nuttall been on QT before, suzie? He was rubbish. Couldn't answer a single question, just spouted UKIP policy.

daphnedill Mon 28-Nov-16 19:42:01

Does anybody have a link to Hatton's rejoining? I couldn't find one.

Anniebach Mon 28-Nov-16 19:34:27

I feel depressed ?

suzied Mon 28-Nov-16 19:24:36

What's the betting he's on question time / any questions ASAP.

rosesarered Mon 28-Nov-16 18:39:35

If only