Gransnet forums

News & politics

MP talks about her experience of being raped when 14

(13 Posts)
JessM Thu 08-Dec-16 16:46:35

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-38253461
An admirable contribution to today's debate about violence against women and girls.
What a pity there were not more MPs in the house to hear this.

ffinnochio Thu 08-Dec-16 17:12:23

Thanks for the heads up on this Jess.

The delivery of Michelle Thomson's speech about her rape was, indeed, admirable.
I applaud her.

Rinouchka Thu 08-Dec-16 17:36:51

I have just heard Michelle Thomson's speech and applaud her courage, clarity and eloquence. Particularly striking was her affirmation that " Rapes happen because of the rapist and not because of the victim."

Luckygirl Thu 08-Dec-16 18:53:03

What an extraordinary photo that is on the link - look how interested MPs are in dealing with violence against women. Virtually nobody there. What a surprise!

Iam64 Thu 08-Dec-16 21:58:42

I've just watched this on a Facebook link. Is it too much to expect that if you are in your workplace, you switch off your mobile phone and listen to your colleague's speech? Especially when the content is the speaker's experience of rape?

jollyg Fri 09-Dec-16 09:41:22

She might be trying to redeem herself .

She has been under suspension as an MSP for fraudulent property dealings,

still her tale seemed real to me.

Parliament in the afternoon is mostly empty, Friday particularly

Carol1ne63 Fri 09-Dec-16 09:44:06

I thought her speech was very moving but was appalled by the lack of attendance in Parliament. Useless - the lot of them!

Anniebach Fri 09-Dec-16 09:48:05

MP's do have to work in their constituencies

JessM Fri 09-Dec-16 12:00:13

It was a Thursday. Most do work in their constituencies on fridays and Saturdays - unless their name is jeremy hunt.

Anniebach Fri 09-Dec-16 12:20:41

Many travel long distances to their constituencies and much goes on in the house outside the chamber,

paddyann Fri 09-Dec-16 15:28:51

lets face it Parliament is ALWAYS empty when the SNP have anything to contribute,Why we dont just walk out come home and declare UDI sometimes escapes me .JOLLYG Ms Thomsons suspension is over with NO fraudulant behaviour proven...shame the same cant be said of many other MP's of differing parties who manage to keep under the radar and get away with appalling behaviour ....She was a very brave young woman to share her experience ,sadly WM MP's in the main have no interest in anyone but themselves

Iam64 Sun 11-Dec-16 20:04:57

What were you implying there jollg, the suggestion in your post is that because Ms Thomson was investigated with no fraudulent behaviour proven, that her allegations of rape may be false. "her tale seemed real to me" - damned by faint praise comes to mind.

This MP showed real bravery in talking about her rape experience in the way she did. That's what this thread is acknowledging.

Anniebach Mon 12-Dec-16 08:18:18

She was so brave, and by speaking as she did in the house she reached homes throughout the country