Gransnet forums

News & politics

Syria atrocities

(6 Posts)
mcem Wed 14-Dec-16 18:00:54

There's a petition on change.org started by one of the last doctors in Aleppo. It calls on May and other leaders to stop sympathizing and do something!!
Still needing thousands of signatures.

toomuchcouchgrass Wed 14-Dec-16 11:48:58

I don't think the Pope expressed support for Assad - Reuters, which is generally unbiassed, says he wrote of his affection for the "sorely tried" people of Syria and appealed to Assad "to ensure that international humanitarian law is fully respected with regard to the protection of the civilians and access to humanitarian aid". Reuters says "some on-line news sites in the Middle East interpreted" this as a show of support for Assad. Sputnik news site in Moscow reported much the same but gave it an inaccurate headline saying the Pope had sent Assad condolences. Another example of post-truth. Assad and Putin are both utterly evil men.

daphnedill Tue 13-Dec-16 14:50:42

The theory seems to be that all the people living in rebel-held territories are themselves rebels. It seems that Assad troops have been given the instruction to kill everybody.

The Russians have been claiming for weeks that the White Helmets are rebels and linked to terrorists. They fear for their own lives once Assad forces take control of Aleppo:

www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/08/white-helmets-in-east-aleppo-plead-for-help-as-regime-advances

Even if you don't like links, this is worth reading, although it's heart breaking.

Assad forces are killing civilians, including women, children and medical staff.

ffinnochio Tue 13-Dec-16 14:26:01

Not shocked, just enormously saddened. Once the Russians became Involved, there was never going to be any other future than these final, dreadful days for Aleppo. sad angry

Jayh Tue 13-Dec-16 13:28:21

Yes, unspeakable horror. Those poor,poor people. It is heartbreaking.

GillT57 Tue 13-Dec-16 13:20:11

Sitting here with tears in my eyes listening to reports of what is happening in Aleppo. There are a hundred children cornered in a building, being shelled by that bastard Assad's troops. This is like The Balkans all over again with genocide. He should be tried at The Hague. The Assad troops are going from building to building executing all they find. Then I read that The Pope has sent a message to Assad expressing his condolences over the bloodshed. I am speechless.