Gransnet forums

News & politics

Norty George

(24 Posts)
paddyann Tue 20-Dec-16 23:51:33

and here I was thinking the thread was about George Osbornne saying the "homeless are something you step over on your way out of the opera"Not an overprivileged spoiled child .Silly me,

Lilyflower Tue 20-Dec-16 23:17:10

When our eldest was two he was such a little devil eating all of the chocolate decorations from the tree we put the tree in the playpen.

icanhandthemback Tue 20-Dec-16 22:09:44

We've always put the presents under the tree and the kids get a stocking on their beds. No way is Santa getting the credit for the big stuff tchgrin

1974cookie Tue 20-Dec-16 22:04:58

As children, our presents were not put under the tree. We would go to bed on Xmas eve, and wake to the wonderful sound of the rustling of wrapped presents that had been put on the end of our beds along with a stocking. Happy, Happy Memories tchsmile

susieken Tue 20-Dec-16 16:58:33

Wrapped presents from friends and family went under the tree and Santa delivered his unwrapped in the dead of night so that the first sight on Christmas morning was a wonderful surprise. After opening the labelled presents thank you notes etc were made.

RAF Tue 20-Dec-16 14:12:53

We have always put presents under the tree, Father Christmas only brings the contents of the stockings, that way people get thanked for their presents.

But for the first time this year we can't do that, our two kittens rip the tags off and we wouldn't know who was getting what! They also race round the house crashing into the tree, eating anything unsuitable they can find, and chewing the fairy lights strings. It is worse than having toddlers, at least then you can put things out of reach. The grandchildren love them, or I might be tempted by a cattery for a couple of days!

Nelliemaggs Tue 20-Dec-16 14:04:45

I can remember climbing to the top of my parents' large wardrobe to investigate the parcels which had arrived from grandparents. So I never trusted my children nor expect them to trust theirs wink

VIOLETTE Tue 20-Dec-16 14:01:19

Ha ..used to wrap empty boxes with pretty paper and ribbons for under the tree ,,the real presents were elsewhere out of site until late on Christmas Eve ....so none got opened unti maybe early morning after Santa had been ......don't do presents any longer, but still wrap boxes and chunks of wood in pretty paper and ribbons cos it looks nice under the tree with the lights on !

ninathenana Tue 20-Dec-16 13:20:14

When ours were young once they were asleep H and I would put the presents under the tree. Even now there is only adults in the house we don't do it until Christmas eve as H likes to have a 'squish and prod' tchgrin
I wonder if George has been allowed to open a few as he must have loads from grannies adoring subjects as well as family and friends.

thatbags Tue 20-Dec-16 13:05:36

DD2, aged two and a bit, once bit into a shiny bauble on my mum's tree. She thought the thin painted glass was a wrapping on chocolate, or at least that it was worth trying to find out! Eek! Eek! Eek!

I did a mouth inspection, made her spit and then eat a slice of white bread.

Kim19 Tue 20-Dec-16 12:26:27

We had Santa's presents unwrapped placed under the tree late on Christmas Eve once the children were well asleep but wrapped ones were placed there as and when they arrived. Think they thought Santa was watching and if they touched anything they might jeopardise his delivery. Mmmmmmmmmm......... Worked for us. Such happy memories..............

boggles Tue 20-Dec-16 12:02:56

Craftycat -- That's unbelievable, we had a Dalmation once and he did exactly the same thing !

Craftycat Tue 20-Dec-16 11:39:08

Presents went under tree when I put stocking on their beds but I well remember the time one of our dogs ate all the chocolate decorations off the tree on Christmas Eve night & managed to leave all the wrappers on the tree!! He had never gone near the tree in previous years.
He was fine but chocolate can be fatal for dogs & I was worried about him all day.He didn't even have thre grace to look ashamed.

M0nica Tue 20-Dec-16 11:32:15

We put the Christmas tree rather than the toddler in the play pen and the presents went in with the tree.

I always put the presents out because I can remember, as a child, how my sisters and I took the house apart looking for presents, including, quietly, very thoroughly searching our parent's bedroom. I didn't want my children getting up to all the things we got up to.

With hindsight I think my DF kept all the presents in his office at work until Christmas eve. I cannot think where else they could have been.

Jane10 Tue 20-Dec-16 10:52:26

We can't put the presents under the tree because the cat loves crinkly shiny paper and rosettes and fancy string so tends to massacre our carefully wrapped presents. Its quite out of character for him, he's usually so placid and calm.

morethan2 Tue 20-Dec-16 10:30:28

Mine used to eat the chocolate novelties and put tissue inside and hang them back on the tree. My husband and his siblings used to look for the tinned fruit (a Christmas treat for his family) make a small hole in the tin,drink the sweet juice and then put the tin back. Of course the fruit was ruined. Children what can you do! ..laugh tchsmile

NemosMum Tue 20-Dec-16 10:24:03

Agree with Legs - no presents under the tree until children off to bed on Christmas Eve. Also, tree not put up until the weekend before Christmas. Makes it very special!

Legs55 Tue 20-Dec-16 10:06:46

When I was growing up & my DD nothing went under Tree until after bedtime on Christmas Eve. DD does same for DGS now - loves to see his face Christmas morning - he's only 6 so it's still magictchsmile

Sheilasue Tue 20-Dec-16 09:56:07

Just story's made up by the press I should think.

Jane10 Tue 20-Dec-16 09:53:58

Good for George! Its lovely to hear that he has the opportunity to just be naughty. In some ways I wish we hadn't heard about it though. I think his parents will struggle to keep their family life private which is a great pity.

sweetcakes Tue 20-Dec-16 09:50:00

Grannylyn65
?? ? bet the dog enjoyed Christmas!

grannylyn65 Tue 20-Dec-16 08:21:37

A friend gave us a 'squashy ' present which went under the tree. The dog soon discovered it was a Whole Fillet Steak grin!

DaphneBroon Tue 20-Dec-16 08:15:54

What about their puppy dog, Ludo-I bet he's been having a good sniff around too!

thatbags Tue 20-Dec-16 08:03:34

Apparently wee Prince George has beenopening xmas presents that have been left inder the xmas tree. Well, duh, of course he has! Any child his age would, which is why you don't leave young kids' presents under the tree. The temptation is too great. Why on earth do they think the Santa story is so popular? Kids' present don't even arrive until xmas night.

Perhaps his parents don't remember that irresistible urge.

✌️?????