Gransnet forums

News & politics

Patronage of Charities

(7 Posts)
CelticRose Wed 28-Dec-16 14:20:48

I noted in news last week, that many of these patronages are to be passed on to other family members. It occurs to me that a person(s) with successful business acumen could be nominated as patrons for many obvious reasons. Eg, Richard Branson, Karren Brady, Peter Jones, Jamie Oliver, Harriet Green, James Dyson... to name but a few. Many of these successful business people are natural philanthropists, too. Of course, if this were to happen, then a lot of Civil Servants would be out of a job. And, to quote Denis Healey at the time he was CE in the Seventies, "whilstsoever people support charities, income tax at 33% is not high".

Anniebach Wed 28-Dec-16 14:41:44

Only 25 out of about 500 but I am sure more will follow

MaizieD Wed 28-Dec-16 15:11:17

Why would Civil Servants be out of a job?

Ana Wed 28-Dec-16 16:30:11

'Whilstsoever' eh? Now there's a word you don't hear/see very often!

Ana Wed 28-Dec-16 16:31:56

(in fact I'm not even sure that it is a word...)

paddyann Wed 28-Dec-16 22:02:53

you mean the Richard Branson who is hiving off large chunks of the NHS ,or Dyson who farms all his work out to China ? No thanks,I dont know whay its necessary to have "patrons" in this day and age ...just a successful leader who runs the charity well and doesn't take massive sums of cash out foor him/herself would suit me fine

CelticRose Fri 30-Dec-16 17:53:37

I nominate Victoria Beckham for School of Needlework Patron. It might be that more youth of today just might want to learn such a skill because of her success in the fashion world. Love them or loathe them - they know how to make money and run a business through sheer hard work and dedication. PS Do you not know what philanthropical work Richard Branson - to name but one - does? Why do we have an attitude of "slap them down" towards successful people. I am sure that if they took notice of brickbats, they wouldn't even get up in the morning.