Gransnet forums

News & politics

Theresa May

(72 Posts)
Ankers Sun 15-Jan-17 17:02:45

I cant find a thread about her. Perhaps I have missed it?

I do not understand much about her at all.

I dont understand her position on Brexit. She voted against it, and now seems to be going for hard Brexit.

I am not sure what she has done politically since being in office, but I may just be out of the loop on that one.

And I dont really understand her character at all. Again, I could just be out of the loop. And maybe it is not necessary to understand her character.
But see above. So I would like to try and understand.

Can gransnetters enlighten me if they want to please?

whitewave Fri 17-Mar-17 07:46:21

May has never been liked by the Tory Party, ever since her "nasty" speech. The Tories have long memories.

daphnedill Fri 17-Mar-17 07:45:36

You're welcome. Treat yourself and come back and tell us all what you think. I'm sure you'll be more of an expert on Theresa May than any of us are.

Ankers Fri 17-Mar-17 07:36:59

ooh, thanks daphnedill.
I will definitely get that book. My birthday is coming up soonish.

daphnedill Fri 17-Mar-17 07:34:37

...which I suspect might be sooner rather than later.

Cindersdad Fri 17-Mar-17 07:32:32

When TM was first voted in as Tory Leader I thought that we may just have a fair if not safe a pair of hands. As the daughter of a vicar who championed the "Just about managing" a saner future seemed possible. However many months on she has shown herself like the "Vicar of Bray" to be driven by opportunism rather than compassion and common sense. Like Margaret Thatcher she has become driven by dogma and like MT will become increasingly resented and loathed until one day her "friends" will turn on her.

daphnedill Fri 17-Mar-17 07:32:32

Just for you Ankers

www.amazon.co.uk/Theresa-May-Enigmatic-Prime-Minister/dp/1785901451/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489735856&sr=8-1&keywords=rosa+prince+enigmatic&tag=gransnetforum-21

Ankers Fri 17-Mar-17 07:25:57

I gave up taking any notice of platitudes back in the 80's. Back then, the in platitude was, we will help you get rid of red tape.
Yeah right!

She might try to make it fairer[who knows], but if she says she is going to build a more united society, it is not down to just her.

Was she saying it with Scotland in mind I wonder?

suzied Fri 17-Mar-17 07:10:12

I'm not sure what the above diversion is about. Getting back to T. M. According to her latest speech this morning, which has been previewed, she is going to build a "fairer and more united society". Does anyone believe this or is it just a meaningless platitude?

mcem Thu 16-Mar-17 23:05:09

And me!

petra Thu 16-Mar-17 22:48:09

Madgran77 I can't speak for Ana, but I do.

Madgran77 Thu 16-Mar-17 22:19:23

Ana Do you have a problem with Ankers? What is the problem with this thread?

Jalima Thu 16-Mar-17 20:50:16

I am left wondering if Theresa May is one of them. But she may not be

On the other hand she May grin
Boom boom
(sorry, no penguins, but this is not the joke thread is it?)

petra Thu 16-Mar-17 20:35:43

Ana surely Ankers would come to us first, after all, we are expected to have the answers to every problem known to man.

Ana Thu 16-Mar-17 20:26:12

Oh come on, you're all pandering to Ankers' need to know what GN members think about Theresa May.

I think she's probably doing some sort of research for her degree in Internet Behaviour and the Older Woman...hmm

petra Thu 16-Mar-17 20:23:18

No daphne you will find that children get the message much quicker than 'some adults'.

daphnedill Thu 16-Mar-17 20:17:44

I don't have grandchildren. Maybe this is a warning! hmm

petra Thu 16-Mar-17 19:26:31

daphnedill I thought you might wink
Does 'somebody' remind you of your grandchildren as in: you give them an answer to the best of your knowledge and they keep coming back with * but why*

daphnedill Thu 16-Mar-17 19:14:25

I'll repeat - we are not personal friends and we're not psychiatrists. Undoubtedly the tabloid press will attempt a character analysis, but it doesn't matter - they have newspapers to sell and people seem to thrive on tittle tattle and gossip.

All that is known about May behind the scenes is that she's seen as distant by the civil service and other politicians. Ken Clarke described her as a 'bloody difficult woman' and she sacked Michael Heseltine without even speaking to him personally. It's been reported that she's never been one for small talk, so has never built up networks in the UK or Europe.

The same things were said about Thatcher, who (I expect you remember) was brought down by her own party rather than the opposition. It's not a good idea to make enemies of Heseltine and Clarke.

Ginny42 Thu 16-Mar-17 19:09:49

Well this whole damned business was about quashing UKIP. Squashing would be effective too!

daphnedill Thu 16-Mar-17 19:06:16

I sincerely hope you're wrong, Ginny. I have an image in my mind, which won't go away - Boris at the helm of the new Britannia - sailing into Shanghai, thinking that the Chinese will find him as bumbling and 'charming' as his fans in the UK do. When the time comes to exchange diplomatic gifts, he'd give the Chinese a whiff-whaff bat.

Hopefully, by the time of the next GE, the world will have come to its senses and the Silly Season will be over.

PS. Latest opinion polls show that the Conservatives are 3% up at the expense of Ukip, which is on the verge of collapse. That's not surprising, because May seems to have adopted Ukip's agenda. I suspect that's her plan.

Ankers Thu 16-Mar-17 19:04:16

This is a disgraceful U-turn by a PM and Chancellor who have caved into pressure from back benchers for party political reasons.

This was trishers point I think on another thread. And part, or main reason I restarted this thread.

Also there was a link by dj, again on another thread, where there was a large list of u-turns.

So what or who is Theresa May?

Does she blow with the wind or not?

Ankers Thu 16-Mar-17 19:01:24

But what they do is precisely because of their character.
You do get the occasional person in life who sways with the wind. I am left wondering if Theresa May is one of them. But she may not be confused.

daphnedill Thu 16-Mar-17 18:55:58

For once, Ana and petra, I agree with you.

Ginny42 Thu 16-Mar-17 18:54:42

Annie, who knows what goes on behind closed Westminster doors? It appears she was waiting in the wings for the right moment. The weekend after the referendum result, Boris was off playing cricket with his buddies at the Spencer's place when you might have thought as a member of the winning team he would have been in London. Leadsham was saying she was throwing her hat in the ring. She became an embarrassment and had to be sidelined. Behind the scenes activity and Leadsham pulls out. I think a deal was struck for Boris to stay away for a while and his backers would support TM for PM this time round. Next thing we know Boris is given the FO job. I predict that by the next GE TM will have been found to be incompetent and Boris will be leader and thus probably PM.

Time for a cuppa I think, or maybe a glass of something chilled and sparkling.

daphnedill Thu 16-Mar-17 18:54:28

Ankers It's about time people stopped worrying about somebody's character and concentrated on what politicians do.

Unless you're Theresa May's psychiatrist, you'll never know her true character.