Gransnet forums

News & politics

A bit of light relief (for some)

(24 Posts)
MaizieD Mon 16-Jan-17 11:32:27

Googling round a subject certainly leads one down strange alleyways. I came across this website this morning; the link takes you to the home page. I recommend the 'Politics' section.

People who voted 'Remain' might be especially interested in his analysis of 'Remain'voters....

www.vernoncoleman.com/main.htm

Teetime Mon 16-Jan-17 11:51:41

ah I see this should cause a stir on here.

whitewave Mon 16-Jan-17 12:04:39

grin

Azie09 Mon 16-Jan-17 12:44:39

The link doesn't go to anything other than his personal website.

I wouldn't have thought he was anything to especially take note of - he's a journalist pure and simple, so what for what he thinks? There are plenty of well informed journalists out there, he's very much a generalist - as well as a strident veggie and transvesite. (I'm saying nothing about my personal views on these subjects, it's just that what I see on this site sometimes.......)

This has an interesting biography of him:

zagria.blogspot.co.uk/2008/06/vernon-coleman-1946-doctor-columnist.html#.WHy_T1yKX4A

So, another Brexidiot gambit that reeks of hyperbole and not fact!!

MaizieD Mon 16-Jan-17 13:08:33

I wouldn't have thought he was anything to especially take note of

That's why I posted it as a 'bit of light relief'. I wasn't expecting anyone to take it seriously.

varian Mon 16-Jan-17 15:12:22

I voted Remain and don't tick a single one of his list of 10 descriptions. Anyone can make up silly lists of unsubstantiated statements, some of which are actually exactly opposite of proven facts.

Oh, sorry I forgot we are in the post-truth era.

Granny23 Mon 16-Jan-17 15:44:28

Here is another of his 'silly' lists. Should we laugh or worry about this? My MP happens to be Muslim but I cannot see her supporting any of this:

Here is my forecast for what will happen if Blair, Clegg, Sturgeon and other EU lovers succeed in thwarting the will of the British people – and keeping Britain in the European Union.

1. Many Muslim politicians will promote the EU’s immigration policies and encourage unlimited immigration. Militant Muslims know that the more immigrants there are in Britain the sooner there will be a Muslim Government in charge of the remains of the United Kingdom. It is worth noting that a majority of British Muslims admit that if someone they knew was planning terrorist activity they would not report them to the police. (Why doesn’t this seem to terrify anyone in authority?)
2. Muslims will quickly reach positions of great power. For example, the new Mayor of London is a Muslim who has called ‘moderate Muslims’ ‘Uncle Toms’. When sworn in as a member of the Queen’s Privy Council, Mr Khan took the oath on a copy of the Koran. Within days of taking office, the new mayor of London wanted to ban advertisements for lingerie and swimwear from the London Underground. (He said he wanted to protect women from harmful adverts. He did not, however, propose a ban on hair products or deodorants. And why do women need to be protected in this way?) As the Muslim population continues to grow rapidly, so the number of Muslim voters will increase. And a Muslim Government will be inevitable – and there will be inevitable changes in culture and law.
3. Homosexuality will be made illegal. As, of course, will same sex marriage. Homosexuals will be executed.
4. Women will not be allowed to vote in national elections.
5. Women will not be allowed to drive motor cars.
6. Women will not be allowed to wear clothes or make up which ‘shows off their beauty’. The police will be allowed to harass or arrest women who expose too much flesh.
7. Women will not be allowed to mix with men in parks, on beaches or on public transport.
8. Women will not be allowed to use public swimming pools where men are present.
9. Women will not be allowed to try on clothes when shopping.
10. Women will not be allowed to compete in sports.
11. Women will not be allowed to read fashion magazines.
12. Women will not be allowed to enter cemeteries.
13. Rape will no longer be a crime.
14. Christian churches will be destroyed. It will be illegal to celebrate Christian events.
15. There will be no alcohol on sale in supermarkets, and public houses will be closed if they sell alcohol.
16. It will be illegal to keep a dog as a pet.

That’s a taster of what we can look forward to if Britain remains a member of the EU and unlimited immigration continues. That will be Britain within a decade.

And if you think I’m exaggerating then you should, perhaps, be aware that the items listed above are the law in Muslim countries such as Saudi Arabia.

Defending British traditions, culture, tolerance and freedoms is not racism.

Please ask everyone you know to read this article.

Badenkate Mon 16-Jan-17 15:53:05

Granny23 I think you need a cup of tea and a sit down.

varian Mon 16-Jan-17 15:56:28

I am not sure, Granny 23, whether you are just quoting this nonsense or whether you agree this might happen?.

petra Mon 16-Jan-17 16:10:09

Granny23 is not alone in stating this. On Saturday, Archbishop Monsignor Liberati ( Italian) stated that Europe will become an Islamic state.

M0nica Mon 16-Jan-17 17:19:37

I will take the reference for what it was, a bit of light hearted fun.

Vernon Coleman is, of course, a well known political pundit, renowned for his objective commentaries on political matters in this country and overseas. Cannot think why, but he reminds me of David Irving, not so much his views, as his gung-ho 'I have made up my mind, do not confuse me with facts' attitude to life.

I voted remain as did all my family (5 in all). Between the 5 of us, we managed to tick one box, dare I admit it, one of us reads The Guardian.

However, I am hurrying to inform Durham University that one of their senior lecturers, regularly seen on television and heard on the radio because of his deep knowledge of his area of study is probably of less than average intelligence. What does that say about the rest of the academics at this top Russell Group university?

Granny23 Mon 16-Jan-17 18:00:44

I thought it was obvious that I DISAGREE 100% with everything in this article. I posted it in the expectation that ALL Gransnetters would think it was ridiculous and that this Vernon Coleman person was off his trolley. I,m amazed to see that he is regarded as a a well known political pundit, renowned for his objective commentaries on political matters in this country and overseas. - Really!!! I must be living in a parallel universe.

varian Mon 16-Jan-17 18:06:02

That's a relief, Granny23. I thought that was probably what you were saying but just wanted to check.

MaizieD Mon 16-Jan-17 18:13:23

I was reading something yesterday about how David Irving's assertion that the Holocaust never happened is being increasingly believed and disseminated on the internet. Very worrying.

..this Vernon Coleman person was off his trolley.

I didn't want to be the first person to say it grin Thanks Granny23.

Rinouchka Mon 16-Jan-17 18:28:48

I do not find this even mildly funny. Defending British customs etc. is not racism but demonising a people is.

Using some factual information to twist opinion and instil hate and fear is not scholarly research nor is it journalism in its true sense.

The juxtaposition of this man's views on the threat of Islamic domination of Britain and another thread listed here today about Holocaust Memorial Day( as introduced last night on the Antiques Road Show) is striking.

Similar demonising of a religious group occurred in Nazi Germany.

He can caricaturise Remainers as much as he likes but that is what it is, a caricature.I can laugh at that, but not at his other views....

Rinouchka Mon 16-Jan-17 18:36:02

Yes, MaizieD, he does bring to mind, David Irving. The clarification, Granny23 is appreciated. You have certainly introduced me to a man I had never heard of!

M0nica Mon 16-Jan-17 18:39:22

Granny23 reread the heading of this thread a bit of light relief. Reread the first sentence of my post I will take the reference for what it was, a bit of light hearted fun.

Then reread the next paragraph, you surely didn't think I was serious when I made that comment about Vernon Coleman, particularly when I made the comparison with David Irving (the Holocaust denier).

I was making a flippant comment, as I said I was going to. I assumed everybody would realise after all the pointers that what I was saying was the exact opposite of what Vernon Coleman actually is.

I presume you are now also seriously worried about the quality of academics at Durham University. You needn't be, I am too modest to chuck intelligence assessments online, when the academic is my DS, but I can assure you his is a long way above average, certainly not below average and that applies to every academic at Durham University. Many of whom are probably even more intellectually outstanding than he is.

MaizieD Mon 16-Jan-17 18:56:59

I agree with youRinouchka about the demonisation of Muslims. I am utterly shock that anyone could hold such views.

But, although the man is clearly a trifle unhinged he's not the only person with such views. I was horrified a while ago when an ex-boyfriend 'found' me on facebook. It was nice at first to chat to a blast from the past but when he started bombarding me with anti-vaccination and anti-muslim propaganda I had to lose him PDQ. And he had been a Head Teacher; a supposedly respected member of the community. I dread to think what influence he might have had/be having over former pupils.

M0nica Mon 16-Jan-17 19:05:20

MaizieD I really do not understand this thread. It is headed a bit of light relief, yet now you are taking it seriously yourself.

Vernon Coleman is a pillock that nobody but the seriously deranged could possibly take any notice of. The barking mad cannot be eliminated from life. They have always been here and always will be.

People like Coleman are just begging for people to take them seriously and their vanity is fed by it. The best thing we can do is make fun of them and treat them like the (very poor quality) nutters they are.

I for one refuse to take this silly little man seriously.

Rinouchka Mon 16-Jan-17 19:06:22

Monica I certainly understood that you believed the opposite of Vernon Coleman's views, as I think Granny23 did, as well. Coleman does not represent Durham University, I am sure. Glad your son is doing so well but I wonder if that fact has any bearing here.

MaizieD, when you have lived for 5/6 or more decades, you are bound to have picked up some nutters in your life( I certainly have)!

The salutary thing is that we recognise them as such!

MaizieD Mon 16-Jan-17 19:17:00

I don't think, from his bio, that Coleman has any connection at all with Durham University. The only 'connection' is that MOnica picked out his assertion that academics were of less than average intelligence and mentioned her DS who works at Durham Uni (as does my DD; also an academic...)

(Sometimes threads become like Chinese Whispers grin)

Deedaa Mon 16-Jan-17 20:49:01

I remember him as a fully qualified nutter many years ago. He obviously hasn't changed grin

M0nica Mon 16-Jan-17 21:33:20

I did not connect Coleman with Durham university. I was talking about his criteria and how this family of remainers didn't meet them.

One of his criteria was that the remainers had below average intelligence and I suggested FACETIOUSLY that if that was the case then I had better inform Durham University because my son is a lecturer there and if he was of below average intelligence (because he voted remain) then the chances were that most, if not all their academics were also dullards as they are presumably DS's intellectual equals (and probably also voted remain).

My goodness this thread is getting hard work. It was started quite openly as a lighthearted bit of fun. I replied to it in the same vein, to find I have to explain in words of one syllable every single sarcastic, facetious or faintly humourous remark I made in response to it's light-hearted title because others are all taking the topic deeply seriously and treating my post's as if they are meant seriously as well.

I have made a solemn vow never to make a joke or try to humourous on Gransnet ever again

rosesarered Mon 16-Jan-17 22:13:26

Hear hear M0nica I have been laughing at this thread, it doesn't know exactly what it wants to be grin some threads on this forum are like wading through treacle.