Gransnet forums

News & politics

Theresa May 4

(91 Posts)
JessM Mon 30-Jan-17 07:41:43

TM3 is full up but I think we might still want to talk about he PM.
As I start this thread she has not had a good week. Her assertions that she will steam ahead with Brexit without the approval of Parliament are in ruins. Her wish to keep her "negotiating strategy" secret, in tatters. A very unfortunate photograph of Trump holding her hand will be long remembered. Then, after being so pleased to be the first political leader of a foreign country to visit the new president, she invites him on a State Visit just before he causes an international furore about people from Muslim countries being allowed in the US. And to cap it all she stumbles in responding to this travel ban and has a huge petition against the state visit heading her way.

rosesarered Mon 30-Jan-17 20:50:35

I don't know that it was a State visit, but didn't the Obamas come here just a month or two after his inaugeration, and he met the Queen?

MaizieD Mon 30-Jan-17 20:57:55

It wasn't a State visit. There are different types of visit. He came twice before the actual State visit in 2011

Forgive me for posting a link, but here is a list of all US Presidential visits to the UK:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_visits_to_the_United_Kingdom_and_Ireland

MargaretX Mon 30-Jan-17 20:57:59

POGS you are right about the German media. They regard Brexit as crazy because it is well known here how much money has been spent in restoring parts of the Uk Wales and Cornwall e.g.

Germany which survived only because of the many small farmers in the post war years, just could not leave their farmers wihout support in the EC as it was then. We still have lot of small farmers especially where I live and as all other farmers in the EU they look after the countryside and water and air quality has improved. But we still need to be vigilant.

MaizieD Mon 30-Jan-17 21:00:13

Sorry, didn't read your post quite correctly.

As far as I'm concerned the Orange One is welcome to visit the UK on any other sort of visit, just not a State visit at the moment...

MaizieD Mon 30-Jan-17 21:01:00

My last to roses

MaizieD Mon 30-Jan-17 21:03:03

Maizie is your link to a left wing blogger by any chance?

If you'd bothered to click on it,roses you'd have found out who it was by.

rosesarered Mon 30-Jan-17 21:06:48

Sigh! hmm the ones provided by djen in links turned out to be that.....life is too short to look at all the links ( unless I am really interested) and in this case, sadly not.

rosesarered Mon 30-Jan-17 21:08:50

Well, he is coming on a State Visit whether posters on Gransnet like it or not, nobody has to watch tv though when he arrives.

MaizieD Mon 30-Jan-17 21:09:03

No roses. It's much easier to just stick your fingers in your ears and sing 'la, la la'.

If you're not that interested what are you doing patrolling these threads?

rosesarered Mon 30-Jan-17 21:10:22

Some posts interest me, others do not.Do I need your permission Maizie?

Ana Mon 30-Jan-17 21:10:41

'Patrolling'? grin

MaizieD Mon 30-Jan-17 21:12:36

^ They regard Brexit as crazy because it is well known here how much money has been spent in restoring parts of the Uk Wales and Cornwall e.g.^

Now that's the interesting thing, MargaretX. All the Leavers claim that it's really 'our' money that was being spent here and that we'd be better off spending it direct. Yet, would that money have been spent in that way if we hadn't been in the EU? I, for one, doubt it...

rosesarered Mon 30-Jan-17 21:13:00

Yes, patrolling...and twirling my nightstick presumably.grin

whitewave Tue 31-Jan-17 06:23:18

May being criticised by Lord Rickets over Trump invite. He said the invitation and rush across the Atlantic was premature. May should have waited and studied Trump.

" It puts the Queen in a very difficult dituation"

Anniebach Tue 31-Jan-17 09:04:10

May was far to eager to be first in the queue to grovel to the great one. So many signs during the election campaign to be wary of the man,

I wish the use of - the special relationship - would stop , we are more like master and servant

JessM Tue 31-Jan-17 10:17:07

I think the awful week is being followed by another one. Downing St are trying to blame the Foreign Office for the premature State Visit idea. May is looking very weak and feeble in her criticism of the travel ban and very ill-advised for being the first to dash to Washington and for inviting him here before he's even had a full week in the White House.

Ana Tue 31-Jan-17 10:20:25

I thought it had already been established (one on of these many political threads) that the Queen has to agree to all State visits beforehand - so perhaps blame her instead?

whitewave Tue 31-Jan-17 10:22:20

I'm not sure about that ana but I think it's been established that she didn't in this case

Ana Tue 31-Jan-17 10:24:49

Has it? Who said so? Last night there was definitely agreement that the Queen had to agree to state visits - god knows what thread it's on though...

whitewave Tue 31-Jan-17 10:26:18

Don't know where I read that. May have been on television. There's so much out there at the moment

Ana Tue 31-Jan-17 10:32:31

The Queen has to sign off all state visit suggestions (I have googled).

MaizieD Tue 31-Jan-17 10:55:45

That was my understanding, too, Ana, but a) people in general (notably journalists) seem to know very little about this Foreign Office committee; they seem to have been surprised to find it even exists, let alone know anything about its procedures.

b) We don't know if the Queen actually had signed off this invite or whether T May knew it was 'in committee' and just pre-empted their decision and the Queen's approval. (I wonder what the atmosphere maight be like at the Queen & the PM's next weekly meeting...)

the Queen is in a difficult position because if it was done without her approval she can't publicly say anything.

MaizieD Tue 31-Jan-17 10:57:03

Yes, patrolling...and twirling my nightstick presumably.

Got it in one, roses

whitewave Tue 31-Jan-17 10:57:23

The Queen will never say - I admire her for the way she conducts herself.

rosesarered Tue 31-Jan-17 14:33:51

Then you had better watch out Maizie I have my eye on you! Plenty of cell room down at the nick.