Gransnet forums

News & politics

English Scots for YES

(1001 Posts)
paddyann Sun 26-Feb-17 23:15:20

this weekend saw the Mayor of London Sadiq Khan and Jeremy Coorbyn both north of the border giving us "the facts" about Nationalism .They couldn't BE more wrong ,Scottish Nationalism ,unlike English Nationalism or Britnats is INCLUSIVE we dont care where you were born if you live here you're Scottish by Coice.Here is a link to what the group English scots for YES have to say about the interference from Mr Khan and Mr Corbyn ...it might surprise you.I have found a lot of people on here are very misinformed about Scotland and our efforts towards independence ,lets see if this helps .http://www.englishscotsforyes.org/2017/02/26/on-nationalism/
On Nationalism… – English Scots for YES
Many of you will have seen the comments of London’s Mayor Sadiq Khan over the weekend to Scottish Labour’s annual conference; many of you will share the outrage felt by our members, by supporters of Scottish independence, and indeed across the Scottish political spectrum at what we feel is a complet...
englishscotsforyes.org

NfkDumpling Mon 27-Feb-17 12:18:25

I'm not quite sure of our present Monarchs precise lineage, but if Scotland and England do split, will she not be queen of Scotland and not England? Was not James I king of Scotland first therefore First and foremost Scottish? And of course Charles is half Greek!

daphnedill Mon 27-Feb-17 12:30:51

Don't you DARE include all of Essex! In any case, my district wants to be transferred to South Cambridgeshire/City of Cambridge, which would need to be independent. It's only the people living North of Cambridge in the Fens who have webbed feet. grin

I think it would be an excellent idea to create a safe haven for Brexit supporters in Norfolk, although people would need to be given the choice to move out if they wanted. Then a huge wall could be constructed to keep people in.

NfkDumpling Mon 27-Feb-17 12:44:48

Ok, we'll just take the boggy bits of Essex! Bog is good!

We won't need a wall to keep people in - but would need to issue expensive visas to limit numbers try g to get in!

NfkDumpling Mon 27-Feb-17 12:46:49

(I'm saving up for a new iPad - this one is going senile. As well as random letters and weird spellings, I'm getting a very old fashioned indent at the start of every post now)

Elegran Mon 27-Feb-17 12:48:44

James became king of a United Kingdom of Scotland and England because of his descent from royalty in both countries, therefore his descendants were also kings and queens of a Unitred Kingdom. He began as King of Scotland, but inherited the succession to the English throne after Elizabeth 1 died with no direct heir and to find a successor they had to go back a couple of generations and then forward again to a cousin.

Our present monarch was the child of George VI and his queen Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, who had aristocratic Scottish blood. However the succession is through the children by blood of the monarch, without taking his wife's ancestry into account.

Elizabeth II of England (and I of Scotland) was crowned Queen of the same United Kingdom through her descent from the Hanoverian Georges and Queen Victoria (after some complicated history of the succession in between James and the first George)

Thus, if England and Scotland were to split, she would still be Queen of both countries - unless one or other of them abolished the monarchy, of course.

Elegran Mon 27-Feb-17 12:52:55

That was for NFK - and Charles' half-Greekness is not taken into account. Most European royalty have one parent and many grandparents who are not of the country they are monarch of.

Actually, most of them can trace part of their lineage back to King Christian of Denmark, who had at least four children married into other royal houses and contributing DNA (UK and Greece among them)

daphnedill Mon 27-Feb-17 12:55:23

Off topic alert! I'm getting an indent at the beginning of each post too.

NfkDumpling Mon 27-Feb-17 12:55:55

So we don't have to worry that Buckinham Palace may be put up for rent!

daphnedill Mon 27-Feb-17 12:59:09

Prince Philip has been a naturalised British citizen since before he married the Queen, so Charles has two British parents anyway.

Elegran Mon 27-Feb-17 14:26:51

I get that indent too, but it seems to vanish when the post is on the thread.

grannypiper Mon 27-Feb-17 14:59:06

paddyann you say independence is about US running OUR affairs ad i get that what i dont get and i can never get a straight answer on this, if the snp want to run their own affairs then why do you want to join the E.U who wont let you run your own affairs ?
P.S they only 2 snp supporters i know voted for Brexit !

Ana Mon 27-Feb-17 15:05:43

Oh, I've been back-spacing to get rid of the indent when I didn't need to bother!

rosesarered Mon 27-Feb-17 15:18:23

grannypiper yes, I wonder about that too! Why break with us, when we have centuries of history together to be run ( basically) by the Germans.

rosesarered Mon 27-Feb-17 15:18:50

What indent?

Jalima Mon 27-Feb-17 15:22:36

Oh dear, oh dear, what would the rest of the UK do without all those wonderful Scottish Prime Ministers? From John Stuart through to Gordon Brown, not to mention all the other Scottish holders of the great Offices of State.
sad

Jalima Mon 27-Feb-17 15:24:13

paddyann you say independence is about US running OUR affairs ad i get that what i dont get and i can never get a straight answer on this, if the snp want to run their own affairs then why do you want to join the E.U who wont let you run your own affairs ?

I've never seen a answer to that one on here or anywhere grannyp, well not one that makes any sense.

Jalima Mon 27-Feb-17 15:25:01

Ana I keep getting an indent too which isn't there when the post appears

GillT57 Mon 27-Feb-17 16:39:36

Speaking as part of the Scottish diaspora I have a few questions.
Why would Scotland want to be part of a group of 26/27 in the EU when we are always hearing from the Brexit camp here just how wonderful life will be when we 'take back control'? At present, Scotland is part of a group of 4.
Why do the SNP think that all existing EU rules will be broken just to let Scotland in? As I understand it, all existing members have to agree before a new applicant is allowed to join, and we all know, surely, that Spain will not approve any application that could give the Basque areas of Spain further credence to their fight for independence.
Scotland will not, at present, meet the economic requirements for consideration of membership, and following on from the mess of Greece and Italy for example, the financial scrutiny of any application will be very thorough.
This is without any consideration of the difficulties of economic borders, differing taxation, keeping the pound sterling as currency. Mis Sturgeon can talk the talk and is an excellent speaker, never on the back foot, but surely a result should be final. If not, could I ask for a re-run of the Brexit referendum with all the facts up front, Ms Sturgeon is a one trick pony, one policy party and is using devolution as a ploy to avoid discussion of the state things are in Scotland,ie just as bad as the rest of the UK.
A curse on all of them!

grannypiper Mon 27-Feb-17 16:49:27

Well said Gill

grannypiper Mon 27-Feb-17 16:50:51

Jalima i get fed up asking that question, every week i write to my local MSP and ask this very question. I have never had an answer

Jane10 Mon 27-Feb-17 16:51:05

Gaun yersel' GillT57!

GillT57 Mon 27-Feb-17 16:54:12

oh thanks Jane10 blush My nanna used to say that.

paddyann Mon 27-Feb-17 16:56:52

GRANNYPIPER AND jalima there is a vast difference between the EU and the union,just now Westminster is responsible/to blame for over 75% of our laws ,the EU only evr 5 -8 % and in the EU we would get a vote the same as everyone else,our votes in Wesminster count for nothing ,thats when we actually get allowed to speak .In the EU the UK was defeated on only a very few occassions out of over 2000 matters that went to the vote between 2000 and 2016 ,We have always had a close relationship with europe ,always considered ourselves europeans .It disturbs me that people on here see Independence as a bit joke ,the home rule for different regions of england is NOT amusing Scotland is a COUNTRY with its own systems of Education and Law NOT a region of England Jalima we have been members of the EU for over 40 years exactly the same as the rest of the UK and we have had numerous commissioners in the EU who say we are welcome to sty in,thers an independennce rally in The Hague in April ,coutesy of some of our european friends who want us to stay.As to a joint history being a reason to stay WOULD YOU STAY IN AN ABUSIVE MARRIAGE JUST BECAUSE YOU SHARE HISTORY?We dont hate England or the english but we're happier to have them as good neighbours and friends than Masters ,Just like every other independent nation in the world .IF the union hadn't happened 300 odd years ago could we find a reason to give up our independence and throw in our lot with Westminster ? No one I know can think of any reason why we would At present we have around 17% of our affairs devolved, to make our country work how it should and how we want it to we need 100% control .Like all the other nations who gained independence from the UK since WW11,James the 6th and 1st was the union of the crowns ...the union of parliaments was 100 years later ,a union we didn't want .We 're not saying it will be easy but we'll be able to make our own mistakes and not have them made for us ...like the 1.6 Trillion Westminster debt

GillT57 Mon 27-Feb-17 17:30:47

Well, Scotland could take the RBS debt when independent, that would help to reduce the debt paddyann. What a load of blether, eh jane10? grin

Jane10 Mon 27-Feb-17 17:38:22

Yup Gill!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion