Gransnet forums

News & politics

How should MPs vote in parliament

(9 Posts)
varian Thu 02-Mar-17 15:12:32

MPs should vote with their conscience. There may be occasions where party whips exercise pressure but they should be kept to an absolute minimum.

rosesarered Mon 27-Feb-17 19:34:45

No, I don't envy any MP's either POGS and it seems that whatever they do they still get very little respect.

POGS Mon 27-Feb-17 18:31:01

Well one things for sure MP's can't win!

If they go with their conscience and vote for action or not for action in Syria they will be 'hounded' by both sides .

If they go with their conscience and vote to trigger or not to trigger Article 50 they will be 'hounded' by both sides.

It's a tricky question when there is a 3 line whip but if an MP feels so strongly about something he/she should be given some slack to vote with their conscience and go against the whip.

As I say they 'can't win' because they will never please their party or their constituents all of the time.

I don't envy anybody who chooses to be an MP to be honest and the level of abuse , especially personal abuse, has risen I would hazard a guess due to the ease of some pretty hateful people hiding behind the shield of anonymity.

Luckygirl Mon 27-Feb-17 17:04:54

How should they vote? - the way I want them to!

Ankers Mon 27-Feb-17 17:01:15

Nice idea, but it doesn't work like that. They vote the party line, or get disciplined.

It didn't happen like that for Corbyn?

rosesarered Mon 27-Feb-17 15:31:23

Oh yes, a migraine can hit so suddenly gilly grin .....well, of course it can but.......

gillybob Mon 27-Feb-17 13:59:43

Or conveniently "take ill" meaning they miss the vote. wink

yggdrasil Mon 27-Feb-17 13:49:52

Nice idea, but it doesn't work like that. They vote the party line, or get disciplined.

Cindersdad Mon 27-Feb-17 13:07:34

I always vote in elections but rarely for the winning candidate. However, when an MP is elected he/she is trusted to follow their own conscience which may not always follow the views of some of their constituents. I therefore think it is unreasonable for a local party elite to dictate to an elected MP the way they vote in the chamber.

Individual MP's can be de-selected at the next general election in the meantime they have a mandate to act as they see fit on our behalf.