Gransnet forums

News & politics

UKIP leader (Part the Second) The emails!!

(23 Posts)
MawBroon Tue 28-Feb-17 07:39:45

You couldn't make it up (could you?)
So Nigel Farage is after Carswell's head is he?
11.58am, Dec 30, Lord Pearson to Douglas Carswell:
“Dear Douglas, Could you let me know how your talk with Gavin Williamson went before Christmas? By phone if you prefer?
Good wishes. Malcolm.”
9.38am, Dec 31, Carswell to Pearson:
“As promised, I did speak to the government Chief Whip. Perhaps we might try angling to get Nigel an OBE next time round? For services to headline writers? An MBE, maybe? Let’s discuss…”
10.48am, Dec 31, Pearson to Carswell:
“Dear Douglas, Let’s speak at your convenience. Ring me? Not sure an ‘Other Buggers’ Efforts’ quite hits the spot for Nige……..?!
Malcolm”

Is this "Return to political La La Land? "

MawBroon Tue 28-Feb-17 07:46:37

www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/28/nigel-farage-calls-for-douglas-carswell-to-be-expelled-from-ukip

For those who would prefer to read it in full. Farage is accusing Carswell of "mocking " him. To say UKIP are "in disarray" seems to be putting it mildly.

MaizieD Tue 28-Feb-17 08:31:38

I loved Carswell's invitation to Farage to attend a UKIP Parliamentary party meeting "It won't take long, it's just me' .

I wonder that UKIP dares to show its face after its leader's performance in the Stoke by election.

daphnedill Tue 28-Feb-17 09:14:35

According to Nigel, it was all Nuttall's fault for being too left-wing and not mentioning immigration enough.

On Twitter, Arron Banks called Carswell 'old wonky mouth'. Nice lot, aren't they?

MawBroon Tue 28-Feb-17 11:04:46

Farage does seem to keep UKIP in the headlines - but rarely for the right reasons!

whitewave Tue 28-Feb-17 11:22:01

There has been suggestions that Ukip is finished.

MawBroon Tue 28-Feb-17 11:29:52

Did it ever begin? grin

daphnedill Tue 28-Feb-17 13:17:13

It would appear that Banks has said he won't fund Ukip any more, unless:

1 He (Banks) is chairman
2 He is allowed to employ an outsider to introduce professional marketing techniques
3 Carswell is removed from Ukip (and probably Nuttall removed as leader)

Banks has said that if Ukip won't agree, he'll start up a new party. I sincerely hope people will see through any new party (which will make the 'Nasty Party' and Ukip extremists look like fluffy bunnies) and it won't last long, even with Trump's support. Ukip's survival depends on whether it can find a new sponsor, especially when MEPs are no longer entitled to EU money. It's likely that Ukip supporters will return to the Conservatives - that's what seems to have happened in Copeland.

daphnedill Tue 28-Feb-17 13:20:06

PS. Hopefully people can now see that Farage isn't "one of us" and doesn't care very much about "us" either.

MawBroon Tue 28-Feb-17 13:34:11

Can the Conservatives say "No thank you? "

Jalima Wed 01-Mar-17 10:18:19

Will Carswell be left in the wilderness or welcomed back to the Tories like a prodigal son?

I quite like Dougie, not sure what he stands for though

daphnedill Wed 01-Mar-17 10:29:00

Apparently Carswell has been in talks to return to the Conservatives before 2020.

He wrote a book some years ago about his beliefs. From what I can remember his main point is that he wants to turn the UK into a Singapore-style economy. He wants minimum state spending and an economy based on loosely regulated financial services, which is what some Conservatives now want. The economy would depend on cheap overseas labour for manual work - that's why he has never been about limiting immigration and one of the reasons Farage doesn't like him.

Ironically, he represents a constituency which includes one of the most deprived areas of the country, who would be big losers from the kind of economy he wants.

POGS Wed 01-Mar-17 10:50:05

daphnedil

" Apparently Carswell has been in talks to return to the Conservatives before 2020. "

I am not saying you are not correct but what evidence do you have to make that statement please?

whitewave Wed 01-Mar-17 10:58:48

I've heard that on the radio

Ana Wed 01-Mar-17 11:04:38

It's been reported in several newspapers today, POGS.

Riverwalk Wed 01-Mar-17 11:06:16

No actual evidence but I've read/heard a number of references to his applying to return to the Tories over the past months - they should tell him where to go!

daphnedill Wed 01-Mar-17 11:06:30

It's been reported in some MSM outlets and also on Twitter by some genuine commentators. I don't know for a fact, which is why I wrote "apparently".

There's a war of words going on at the moment between Carswell and Farage/Banks. Farage and Banks have stated publicly that they want to expel Carswell from Ukip. The Ukip troll army is accusing Carswell of being a Conservative 'plant' right from the start, but that lot get off on conspiracy theories hmm.

Carswell himself has said nothing about rejoining the Conservatives, although he's written a number of tweets confronting Farage. However, he has been in meetings with Conservatives - goodness knows what they talked about - maybe they share a hobby, for all I know.

Ukip is in trouble, politically and financially. Carswell is intelligent. He would be foolish not to be thinking about his future. If Banks does indeed stand against him at the next GE, the constituency will almost certainly be a Conservative gain.

daphnedill Wed 01-Mar-17 11:06:58

x post

POGS Wed 01-Mar-17 12:02:24

Why Conservative again?

Douglas Carswell could stand as an Independent!

I am not denying the 'rumours / gossip' may be true , maybe not, who knows? Well Douglas Carswell does obviously.

daphnedill Wed 01-Mar-17 12:30:32

I would imagine he'll have to find his own sponsor, if he stands as an Independent. He might have somebody lined up, for all I know. Carswell isn't an MEP, so he doesn't have an alternative income.

Jalima Fri 03-Mar-17 20:01:33

I thought everyone in Singapore paid a proportion of their income into a fund which was their own to be used in times of need (benefits) and for a pension in old age. They can also draw on it to help buy a house.

Perhaps it has changed now.

daphnedill Fri 03-Mar-17 20:16:25

The point about Singapore is that residents rely very heavily on low-paid immigrants from the Phillipines, parts of China and other SE Asian countries, to do the 'dirty' work. That's why Carswell has never been against immigration. Singapore has one of the highest proportions of immigrants in the world. Many of these people have hardly any rights and are sometimes treated appallingly (or work for a Western company and earn virtually tax-free megabucks). When my in-laws lived in Singapore, I couldn't believe the 'servant quarters' in their apartment. I think we'd call it a broom cupboard in the UK.

daphnedill Fri 03-Mar-17 20:17:17

Anyway, Carswell now claims that he hasn't been in talks with the Tories and that this was a smear put about by Farage.