Gransnet forums

News & politics

Lords revolting about Brexit

(227 Posts)
Cindersdad Wed 08-Mar-17 09:57:07

I was pleased that the Lords stood up against Brexit but sickened by the reaction of ministers towards those who DARE to oppose them. I've dropped a short email to my MP urging him to back the Lords amendments. Those who voted LEAVE did not vote for leave at any cost and those who voted REMAIN (almost 16,000,000) should not be ignored. If you care please let your MPs know and ask them to stand up to the Brexit Bullies. Parliament must have a free vote on the terms of the Brexit negotiations.

Chewbacca Tue 14-Mar-17 09:35:55

If i was an EU worker, fearful for my future in the UK, I'd be feeling rather let down this morning. But maybe Corbyn had other, more important matters to attend to Roses. I expect we'll soon be told.

rosesarered Tue 14-Mar-17 09:21:55

Not sure about that Chewy but it is odd that he didn't go to it!

Chewbacca Mon 13-Mar-17 23:53:09

*LONDON — Jeremy Corbyn has failed to turn up to an "emergency" Brexit rally outside Parliament, despite urging supporters to join him in defending EU citizens living in the UK.

The Labour leader had called for supporters to join him at the event in Parliament Square on Monday evening to "defend the rights of EU citizens who have made a life here."*
uk.businessinsider.com/jeremy-corbyn-fails-to-turn-up-to-his-own-emergency-brexit-rally-2017-3

Shame really, he might have made a significant difference if he'd bothered.

durhamjen Mon 13-Mar-17 23:29:51

Yes, Welshwife. The person I quoted earlier was a Swedish person who said that even though she believed that she would be given the right to stay, she wasn't sure if she wanted it any more.
60% of foreign workers in the NHS are reconsidering their career paths. There are more than 200 nationalities working in the NHS. Many have already left.
A&Es are closing overnight because they do not have enough staff. Trusts are having to try and recruit from Asia, but it takes up to a year now to get the paperwork in place.

Welshwife Mon 13-Mar-17 23:19:29

I think the UK will find it difficult to recruit people for the vacancies they need filled. If you read much on the groups for people affected by this Brexit you will see that many feel that they are not wanted and have decided to look for work elsewhere in the EU. They do not want to wait till they may be told to leave and prefer to do it sooner. I saw a report today that academics are now looking for jobs elsewhere.

It is not a question that they really feel that they will be thrown out but that the general population are very anti immigrants. This is a shame as I am sure that the majority of Brits do not really feel like this but the general impression is there - many tabloid headlines have strengthened this idea too. Some of them are so upset by the whole thing that they are trying to encourage other Europeans to leave so that Britain finds itself without people doing vital jobs - may turn out to be a bit of an own goal!

Many Brits living in EU countries do not want to return to the UK as they feel it is no longer the country they were proud of. People who are working in EU countries may well be OK and also some pensioners but many will be worried about the healthcare costs unless the reciprocal agreements remain the same as they are now.

POGS Mon 13-Mar-17 23:05:20

Your very welcome.

durhamjen Mon 13-Mar-17 23:03:15

Not being a smart ass. Didn't understand. Thank you for your explanation.

POGS Mon 13-Mar-17 23:00:28

"She has actually said she has found the opposite of what is being reported and finds people she works with but never spoke to actually have been so kind and understanding."

How have they been kind and understanding if she has never spoken to them?

Don't be a smart ass it obviously means they have spoken to her now but they had not had such a connection before.

Morgana Mon 13-Mar-17 22:57:09

To get back to original post! The TV programmes about the house of Lords have been most interesting. But as to anyone in government ever taking responsibility for a possible Brexit mess Dream on!

POGS Mon 13-Mar-17 22:53:44

' That's what the EU had to do POGS. It's all academic for the EU until May triggers the article 50.'

So why blame Theresa May when she at least tried but hit a solid wall? The refusal to engage in any / Nada / zilch negotiations prior to Article 50 being triggered was the sole domain of the European Union Commission.

"There is no need for the EU to change anything."

That's nice to know that all UK citizens living in the other 27 countries are OK then. Perhaps they could have said so.

"She could put you out of your misery tomorrow, but it sounds like she's going to keep you waiting for another two weeks"

I'm not the one in any misery!

You know I voted Remain but I have accepted the fact a democratic vote took place and the result was Leave.

durhamjen Mon 13-Mar-17 22:52:40

How is it taking back control when the only one who knows what is going on is Theresa May?
It's relinquishing control to one person.

durhamjen Mon 13-Mar-17 22:47:36

i1.wp.com/voxpoliticalonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/170313-Theresa-May-and-the-children.jpg

durhamjen Mon 13-Mar-17 22:42:37

"She has actually said she has found the opposite of what is being reported and finds people she works with but never spoke to actually have been so kind and understanding."

How have they been kind and understanding if she has never spoken to them?

durhamjen Mon 13-Mar-17 22:40:14

Actually, POGS, people have said in front of my daughter in law that they are glad that all these foreigners are leaving.
They do not realise that she is a foreigner because her English is so perfect.

They have also said in front of my other son that they are pleased that we voted to get rid of foreigners. When he said that's my wife you are talking about, they thought her Spanish accent was just because she taught Spanish; hadn't actually realised that she was Spanish, despite the name.

These incidents both occurred in school staff rooms.

So yes, people have said they are not wanted here.
15 year old kids have said it in front of my grandson when he was playing football with them. These are kids who will have a vote at the next election.

durhamjen Mon 13-Mar-17 22:31:19

You obviously only watch and read what agrees with you, POGS. Loads of EU citizens working here are saying they feel like they are not wanted here.
As Cindersdad said, the Dispatches programme tonight on Channel four showed how wrong you are.

www.facebook.com/the3million/?ref=page_internal

Read this.

durhamjen Mon 13-Mar-17 22:27:22

That's what the EU had to do POGS. It's all academic for the EU until May triggers the article 50.
There is no need for the EU to change anything.
There was a need for May to appear to be conciliatory instead of antagonistic towards the EU.
After all, they are not changing. The UK is. I am surprised you cannot see that.

The house of lords have just agreed to article 50 going ahead without amendments. Only 400 of them in to vote.
What do you mean by ALL doing what is necessary? It's only the UK that needs to do anything, and the whole point is for the UK parliament to have a say in what is necessary.
It's up to May to do what is necessary now. She could put you out of your misery tomorrow, but it sounds like she's going to keep you waiting for another two weeks. Possibly because she still doesn't know what she really wants to do.

POGS Mon 13-Mar-17 22:24:31

Nobody has said 'they are not wanted here'.

Thank goodness my nephews wife who is Spanish refuses to believe she will be told to leave and cannot allow herself to be intimidated by such rhetoric.

She has actually said she has found the opposite of what is being reported and finds people she works with but never spoke to actually have been so kind and understanding.

POGS Mon 13-Mar-17 22:17:53

What does it say about the European Union, Angela Merkel when they refused to make ' Reciprocal Rights ' for ALL EU citizens in the UK and UK citizens in the other 27 European Union Countries when Theresa May wanted an agreement but they turned her down flat until the UK triggered Article 50.

When Article 50 is triggered maybe an agreement for 'Reciprocal Rights' will be agreed as soon as possible but if the House of Lords ping pong it back and forth to the HOP the agreement will take longer and that is putting politics before people too.

To get this problem sorted for ALL EU citizens here and UK citizens throughout the EU, who seem to be disregarded in the conversation , for heavens sake I just wish they would ALL just do what's necessary.

GracesGranMK2 Mon 13-Mar-17 22:14:54

Your Jack of Kent article hits the nail on the head Jen. Suddenly a large swath of the country (but a minority) has decided that our democracy is something other than it has been. This may be what we all want but I don't remember being asked if we should move to a delegate democracy from our current representative one.

I am very disappointed with those members of the HoC who did not vote with what they stood for in the referendum.

durhamjen Mon 13-Mar-17 22:06:47

Agree, Cindersdad.
When my grandson arrives tomorrow, I am going to have to deal with his upset about people not wanting his mum to stay here. A similar programme could be made about education.

Cindersdad Mon 13-Mar-17 21:52:45

David Davis may personally guarantee the rights of EU citizens but after seeing Channel 4's dispatches this evening many of the EU Health workers we need no longer feel welcome here. What does that say about post Brexit Britain? As a nation we should be ashamed.

durhamjen Mon 13-Mar-17 21:09:15

" Davis said he would take personal “moral responsibility” for guaranteeing the future rights of EU citizens in the UK as well as Britons living on the continent.

He said European citizens made a vital contribution to society and that he wanted them to retain all their rights. He said: “The government has been very clear of what it intends – it intends to guarantee the rights of both British and European citizens.” But he added that he needed the same commitment from other countries, which have so far declined to embark on talks before article 50 is triggered.

He said that was why it was important to pass the Brexit bill quickly. “Every member state has reinforced the point – they want this at the top of the agenda, they want this to be dealt with first,” he said, promising a quick deal."

This is what Davis said at the dispatch box. He also said that what was said there was legally binding.
Keir Starmer disagreed, and I think he should know. However, if that's what Davis thinks, he can be held to account.
Of course, those 25,000 NHS staff from the EU who are thinking of leaving the UK in the next five years are going to need even more persuading to stay.
Omly 101 EU nurses applied in December, a drop of 90% on the year before.
As one said, even though I believe I will be given the right to stay, I am not sure I want to any longer. This was obviously recorded before the vote tonight.

durhamjen Mon 13-Mar-17 20:58:34

jackofkent.com/2017/03/are-mps-now-delegates-rather-than-representatives/

Interesting legal points here on it. He saw no good reason for voting the amendments down.
Neither did I.

durhamjen Mon 13-Mar-17 20:56:20

It was only a short debate as far as some debates go. Not quite sure how you can take the party political out of it.

rosesarered Mon 13-Mar-17 20:48:34

POGS I award you the GN political medal for going above and beyond the call of duty by listening to the whole debate.smile Am just glad that at last we are getting somewhere and will be able to trigger article 50 ( without amendments). Of course, the Lords could pong this back again, but pundits don't think that they will.