Gransnet forums

News & politics

A good definition of what free speech means

(69 Posts)
thatbags Sun 12-Mar-17 11:16:27

A free speech definition to work by by the Australian philosopher, Russell Blackford (@metamagician)

Norah Tue 14-Mar-17 17:13:22

Even Dresden. It was war, we devalue lives lost if we select only certain bits to appreciate (allies aid).

daphnedill Tue 14-Mar-17 17:06:19

Even Dresden? hmm

Acts of war need to be interpreted just like any aspect of history.

Norah Tue 14-Mar-17 17:02:40

MaizieD I think it's wrong to interpret WWII. confused

It was a war, and the bombings were defined acts of war. End of.

rosesarered Mon 13-Mar-17 09:37:45

grin back to evil Tories now I see.

durhamjen Sun 12-Mar-17 20:00:33

What do think about what May is trying to do about Brexit? She doesn't even want her own government or MPs to have freedom of speech about that.

daphnedill Sun 12-Mar-17 19:54:09

I'm not going to waste time discussing the rights and wrongs of individual cases. As far as I'm concerned, as a semi-outsider but with a DD who has experienced the squabbles first-hand, it seems that the grassroots Labour Party is pathetic. There is too much trying to shut down freedom of speech by different factors and smear campaigns - again from various directions. There's way too much blame and virtually no positive solutions. It's like an out-of-control playground with nobody in charge.

I've just been reading Lisa Muggeridge's blogs. She does seem to be incoherent at times, but she keeps mentioning authoritarian grey haired old men, who try to dominate discussions. Maybe by coincidence, this was the experience of my DD (in Manchester) and my DS (in Leeds). You've picked one quote out of context, whereas the problem seems to be widespread.

MaizieD Sun 12-Mar-17 18:07:43

Not in my opinion, those bombings were an act of war, during WWII.^

I wasn't debating the rightness or wrongness of what he said. Just that different interpretations can be made of historical events.

durhamjen Sun 12-Mar-17 17:56:13

Ask whitewave about who is trying to shut down Brighton CLP.

daphnedill Sun 12-Mar-17 16:58:08

But dj if you read the series of tweets, she was the one who was being bullied by Corbyn supporters (or people claiming to support Corbyn) and this was her reaction.

I saw for myself how both sides of the Labour Party were trying to shut each out last year. They're still at it on social media and I have to say the ones on the left are coming out with the worse insults.

You probably know that Gorton CLP was suspended last year. DD witnessed what was going on first hand and it's her view that it was the Corbyn supporters who were doing most of the agitating and trying to stop free speech. It's still relevant as they try to decide who will stand as Labour candidate in the forthcoming by election.

Ana Sun 12-Mar-17 16:53:17

I thught durhamjen was still going on about Lisa Muggeridge... confused

Norah Sun 12-Mar-17 16:51:03

"Not forgetting that the largest single-day terrorist attacks in history were committed by this nation & their allies in Hiroshima & Nagasaki"

Not in my opinion, those ^ bombings were an act of war, during WWII.

daphnedill Sun 12-Mar-17 16:49:46

dj It appears that the sacking was deemed unfair, but it was settled out of court, so a judge didn't have an opportunity to give a reason:

www.news.com.au/finance/business/media/lawyer-blasts-hypocrites-as-scott-mcintyre-settles-his-unfair-dismissal-case-with-sbs/news-story/1d3cb9e2906b3de4b44329ebae298368

Malcolm Turnbull was forced to deny that he brought undue influence to bear (ahem).

durhamjen Sun 12-Mar-17 16:32:57

Whenever it was said, daphne, or why, it certainly doesn't seem like she's advocating free speech, does it?
Free speech is okay providing it's my free speech but you are not allowed it. In fact, my idea of democracy is better than your idea of democracy, and you are not allowed to have democracy, is what she is saying. Put the peasants back in their places.

Ankers Sun 12-Mar-17 16:30:51

Not overtly, but what does be committed to the best possible outcome for the United Kingdom following its departure from the European Union mean if it doesn't mean 'You need to believe in Brexit'?

I dont know.

They dont appear to want moaning.

And the job is something to do with trade.

I would very much hope that believing in Brexit is not what they mean.

daphnedill Sun 12-Mar-17 16:30:20

I'm baffled too. What has the Australian Bible Society got to do with anything?

Russell Blackford, the person in your op, was referring to the sacking of the presenter who made the Anzac comments,when he tweeted the definition of free speech.

I Googled the definition and found it on Blackford's Twitter history. It was definitely in the context of the sacking.

PS. Actually, I'm incredibly baffled,because it appears that McIntyre was sacked two years ago in 2015, but Blackford only tweeted the link 5 hours ago. His definition of freedom of speech follows it on Twitter.

MaizieD Sun 12-Mar-17 16:26:08

Those Anzac tweets are interesting, dd. If the guy had been a historian he could probably have said it all with no comeback as it's a different interpretation of events.

Though people don't like having the bad things in their history pointed out to them...

daphnedill Sun 12-Mar-17 16:18:23

I just Googled that tweet,*dj*. It was written in June 2016 and I've looked at the context. It would appear that Lisa Muggeridge had received a number of abusive tweets from Corbyn supporters about posts she had written on her blog and on Twitter.

It looks as though she does believe in free speech, but others were trying to shut her up. I remember reading about the shenanigans in the Labour Party last Summer and ending up thinking they should have their heads banged together.

durhamjen Sun 12-Mar-17 16:16:50

I wonder what the wording would be in the contract, Maizie. It must come under the unfair terms act.

durhamjen Sun 12-Mar-17 16:14:09

Can there be more than one freedom of speech?

MaizieD Sun 12-Mar-17 16:13:13

Ankers
But actually, it is not actually asking whether they support Brexit at all I dont think?

Not overtly, but what does be committed to the best possible outcome for the United Kingdom following its departure from the European Union mean if it doesn't mean 'You need to believe in Brexit'?

I'm not trying to hi jack your thread and make it into a brexit thread, thatbags; it was just that that example of apparent use of 'economic duress' was topical and would perhaps indicate a serious impairment of the belief in 'freedom of speech'which we, as a nation, pride ouselves on.

As people have rightly said, how can a business express any sort of 'attitude'. The individuals who comprise 'the business' might have a huge range of different beliefs. How many people in the business have to have a negative attitude towards Brexit before it becomes ineligible to tender for a contract? How does anyone know what its people are thinking? If the business wants the work they'll tender for it whatever its constituents private views. Why would those views make them unfit to do the work?

thatbags Sun 12-Mar-17 16:03:30

Hang on though, dd. You've lost me. What have those tweets about Anzacs got to do with the debate about charitable work by the Australian Bible Society? Is that what those tweets you quoted were about? Or is it another freedom of speech scenario altogether?

Ankers Sun 12-Mar-17 15:59:03

At SBS, employees on and off air are encouraged to participate in social media, however maintaining the integrity of the network and audience trust is vital. It is unfortunate that on this very important occasion, Mr McIntyre's comments have compromised bothAt SBS, employees on and off air are encouraged to participate in social media, however maintaining the integrity of the network and audience trust is vital. It is unfortunate that on this very important occasion, Mr McIntyre's comments have compromised both

I have no idea how many employees the radio station has.
But if the bosses had to continually monitor everything their employees were saying on twitter and elsewhere, and then talk to them and address any offensiveness, they might have to employ a lot of people to do that.

So much easier and cheaper to have a work social media policy, which presumably every potential employee has to sign.

If they dont like it, they can leave I presume.

Rather like on gransnet really. Their rules. If a poster doesnt like it, they are free to leave.

As in the Jenni Murray caes, I think broadcasters are in a bit of a special case as to what they can say in and out of work.

durhamjen Sun 12-Mar-17 15:53:37

"Once he has resigned I want @uklabour to address how this happened and root out his entire culture so they cant threaten democracy again."

Said by Lisa Muggeridge about Corbyn. She obviously doesn't believe in free speech.

Ankers Sun 12-Mar-17 15:49:47

The sacked guy may be mistaken in his views but how is sacking him going to change his mind? Or anyone else's?

and

It seems illiberal to me to sack someone for saying something offensive. It's saying that people are not allowed to express what are seen as wrong-headed views

It is not about having his mind changed. He broke his work contract!

Ankers Sun 12-Mar-17 15:47:50

x post. I need to read the above posts now.