Gransnet forums

News & politics

Chuck Berry

(10 Posts)
Fitzy54 Sun 19-Mar-17 22:51:48

Whitewave he certainly didn't toe the line. He had convictions for armed robbery while he was at High School and for having sex with a 14 year old minor (I'm not sure if that was the offence or the old "MannAct" offence of transporting over the state line for "immoral purposes"). In any event, great musician but perhaps not without some serious character flaws.

Anniebach Sun 19-Mar-17 22:35:20

Johnnie B Goode was my favourite

merlotgran Sun 19-Mar-17 22:10:56

I remember Memphis Tennessee blasting out from the student common room.

Deedaa Sun 19-Mar-17 21:55:10

I remember buying "Memphis Tennessee" when I was a student.

TerriBull Sun 19-Mar-17 10:18:42

An inspiration to generations of rock musicians as confirmed by Keith Richards in his recent biography. Glad he reached a ripe old age, always remember dancing around to "No particular place to go" as an 8 year old and then discovered much later on many of his other greats like "Johnny B Good" loved that sideways movement he did when playing the guitar which others have copied, as good as Michael Jackson's nifty footwork. Definitely up there with the all time greats.

trisher Sun 19-Mar-17 09:36:33

Oh No! another legend gone. Amazing musician

whitewave Sun 19-Mar-17 09:34:37

Good wasn't he? One of the founders of the rock and roll era, and someone who didn't necessarily toe the line probably as a result of American apartheid.

I've always appreciated his music.

Charleygirl Sun 19-Mar-17 08:37:18

So sorry to hear of his death- there are not many of his era still around.

tanith Sat 18-Mar-17 22:46:34

Another legend leaves us RIP.

Anniebach Sat 18-Mar-17 22:41:28

Chuck Berry has died aged 90.

Last year he said he was to release an album this year dedicated to his wife of 68 years. I hope he had recorded it

R I P