Gransnet forums

News & politics

Article 50 trigger 29th March

(1001 Posts)
Ginny42 Mon 20-Mar-17 12:08:21

Quoting breaking news in the Guardian. Davis is quoted as saying...

“The government is clear in its aims: a deal that works for every nation and region of the UK and indeed for all of Europe – a new, positive partnership between the UK and our friends and allies in the European Union.”

Feeling a bit in shock at those words, as at no time have I felt they are at all clear in their aims. The regions of the UK are disaparate with very different needs and fears. The nations of the UK have very different views of what is best for them, Scotland in particular being very forthright in stating their opposition to what is planned. Finally, what can he possibly mean by a deal that is good for all of Europe? Is he cynically saying EU members will be glad to see the back of us?

margrete Tue 21-Mar-17 10:37:34

I disagree with the reference to 'the nations and regions' of the UK. This is ignoring England, which is a nation. So, there are 4 nations within the UK, of which England is one of the 4.

Can we please speak of the nation of England - my nation - with the respect she deserves.

nigglynellie Tue 21-Mar-17 10:41:42

Former President Obama threatening us over trade with America?! Ok there's a new face in the White House, but nevertheless it was clearly scaremongering whoever won that election, apart from the fact that it was none of Americas business!! WW111 was even voiced by DC!!! Project fear had exactly the opposite effect to what was intended,whereas project positive might have had the desired effect!!

rosesarered Tue 21-Mar-17 10:58:38

Yes niggly the Remain campaign shot themselves in the foot with that.

radicalnan Tue 21-Mar-17 10:59:29

Life will go on, it always does.

What concerns me more, is the international debt situation and the way 65 people own more than half the world's wealth.

Brexit is just a distraction from the real looming problems.

Anyone who believes EU has the answers needs to take a long look at Greece, unemployment in Spain, Portugal etc. The debt mountain has to implode at some point.

Would we all be in such a state if any of it were working well?

Time for massive changes word wide, bring it on.

allule Tue 21-Mar-17 11:13:17

Triggering article 50 is just the start of a long, complicated, procedure which the government is embarking on without a clue how and when it is going to end. We are throwing the pieces of a jigsaw up in the air, and hoping it might end up as a good picture. Utter madness!

Cosafina Tue 21-Mar-17 11:15:37

I'm just gobsmacked at Theresa May saying the Scots can't have their referendum until after we've left the EU "because otherwise they won't know what they're voting for".
So... does that mean we knew exactly what we were voting for on June 23rd? Because every day it becomes clearer to me that we didn't.

I think Brexit is going to be an unmitigated disaster and I'm absolutely furious at how much it's going to disrupt my retirement plans - and curtail DGS's freedom in Europe

varian Tue 21-Mar-17 11:28:04

So many people agree with you Cosafina The march in London next weekend looks set to be Britain's biggest ever protest.

www.uniteforeurope.co.uk/

Annofarabia Tue 21-Mar-17 11:36:25

You are being snarky and rude to people who voted for serious reasons as you would like us to think you did?

Cosafina Tue 21-Mar-17 11:48:17

Thanks varian - I might actually go to that, though I've never demonstrated in my life

Hollycat Tue 21-Mar-17 11:52:58

GREAT NEWS!! At last! Let's GOgrin

Welshwife Tue 21-Mar-17 11:55:17

Please can anyone guess at what might be even two positives from leaving the EU - not sovereignty as we have that anyway or the money we give EU as it is less than 1% of the budget.
If you could give us a definite benefit that would even be better.

Legs55 Tue 21-Mar-17 12:03:22

I hope all goes well with the negotiations after Article 50 is triggered next week. Yes it is "a leap into the unknown" but if business can pull together & help make Britain Great again there is hope.

There are many more Countries in the World that we can & will trade with after we exit EU, also EU exports more to UK than we do to EU, not sure many of their "big business" (eg Germany) would welcome difficult trading arrangements if EU tries to "punish" UK.

I am positive that eventually when everything settles down we will be better off.

I do wish the "Remoaners" would put their energies behind Theresa May & help to re-build our Country

daphnedill Tue 21-Mar-17 12:07:33

Not flipping likely Legs. The Conservatives are destroying this country all on their own.

I've got another 40 years of moaning to make up for the Europhobe whinging, if I last that long!

Anyway, I'm positive the UK will be begging to be let in again after a few years.

Mamie Tue 21-Mar-17 12:17:10

I love the idea that "remoaners" are making a difference by "talking the country down" and "not getting behind Brexit".
I believe that it is called The Tinkerbell Effect. ?

Lilyflower Tue 21-Mar-17 12:17:51

If the following is true, that "The regions of the UK are disaparate (sic) with very different needs and fears. The nations of the UK have very different views of what is best for them..." how much truer is it that our needs as an independent country are different from a federalising organisation of disparate nations such as the EU represents.

We need to separate from the EU and then sort out our internal wrangles.

MaizieD Tue 21-Mar-17 12:26:29

What concerns me more, is the international debt situation and the way 65 people own more than half the world's wealth.

It concerns me a great deal, too but I don't see how putting the UK (or what's left of it) in a position where we're likely to become a low wage tax haven and sell off even more of our public services into private hands (so giving even more wealth to the already wealthy)because we can't afford to support them out of national income is going to improve the situation.

We already have a huge problem with the consumer economy being fuelled by private debt
(https://www.dailyreckoning.co.uk/economy/this-timebomb-could-be-much-more-dangerous-than-brexit/)
If that collapses it means not only more people becoming poor but also domestic business failures as money available for consumer spending diminishes. If inflation continues to rise (up 2.3% on latest figures) this becomes more inevitable. Add that to a period of contraction in trade post Brexit, which could take a decade to recover from, and the future prospect of redistribution of wealth in the UK, let alone the rest of the world, does not look good.

daphnedill Tue 21-Mar-17 12:26:51

Nope, we need to grow up and learn to work together with people from different countries. Just don't expect me to accept the stupidity of it all. I feel I have more in common with people from different countries, who have similar values, than I do with people in the UK. I'm certainly not going to get behind Theresa May and her merry little band, who are showing themselves to be increasingly incompetent by the day.

If any Brexiteers do come up with a benefit from leaving the EU, please let us know before we die of boredom waiting.

PS. I think I'll come back as a Remoaner Troll and have some real fun.grin

MaizieD Tue 21-Mar-17 12:32:56

I do wish the "Remoaners" would put their energies behind Theresa May & help to re-build our Country

I wasn't actually aware that our country was in ruins; it's always looked fairly healthy (not perfect, but doing OK) to me.

We need to separate from the EU and then sort out our internal wrangles

Of course; like Scotland becomes independent and Northern Ireland becomes reunited with Eire. Then we'll have an even smaller collection of disparate regions to whip into line. Sorted...

Say it very loudly children 'I believe in fairies Brexit'

Cosafina Tue 21-Mar-17 12:34:21

Obviously I voted to Remain, but those who voted Leave were a very tiny majority of the people who voted - not of the entire country. We have been told that they were predominantly older people, who - let's face it - will probably be dead by the time the fallout of this referendum actually comes to pass. A fallout that will have to be handled by the young of this country who were not allowed to vote on their own future.

I'm heartily sick of hearing about "the will of the people", and angered by the attitude of those Leavers who decry any mention of wishing to stay in the EU as unpatriotic - I've even heard Remainers being called traitors on Question Time. Those of us who voted to Remain are as patriotic as those who voted to Leave - we love our country, but feel it's better off in The Club than out of it.

Anybody who thinks that Europe is going to cut us a deal as good as the one we have now is stark staring mad. They simply can't - because if they do, then what are they saying to the other countries in the Union? That there's no need to be in it? It's entirely illogical to think that we'll get preferential treatment for coming out. We've had preferential treatment all the years we've been in!

And I agree with daphnedill - I think we'll be crawling to their door in a few years, asking to be let back in, but we'll never again have the same level of authority in the EU as we do now. We're currently one of the Big Three: Germany, France and UK. When (not if) we go back in, we'll have a lower status than the likes of Slovenia and Croatia

Lacy123 Tue 21-Mar-17 12:35:12

I would think that all those who voted out will be eating their vote. They obviously didn't use their brain enough !

Jane10 Tue 21-Mar-17 12:35:28

I don't believe in Brexit but , like Theresa May, we're stuck with it and just have to get on with it in the best way we can.

MaizieD Tue 21-Mar-17 12:45:57

We really have no choice, Jane10; we can hardly declare UDI as individuals. But if the proposal for Brits to be able to take EU citizenship becomes reality I shall be right there at the head of the queue..

Lyndie Tue 21-Mar-17 12:59:08

We pay a tariff anyway. It's our contribution. Our resources are rationed across the EU. Particularly farming, fisheries and manufacturing. On EU watch things have got worse and worse. They decided 20 percent VAT on nearly everything. There are so many things. It's not working. Immigration and Globalisation has decimated salaries and jobs. The last few jobs I have applied for have had between 70 and over 100 applicants. Also remainers seem to think we won't have foreign workers.of course we will. Here locals do everything from factory work to deliveries. Presenters seem to think everywhere is like London but London being overcrowded, does have an impact on resources for the rest of the country.

How can you respect or trust an EU organisation who move offices nearly every month costing millions to hardworking Europeans. Our lazy governments have hid behind these unelected bureaucrats. Now we can vote our own government out if they don't perform. We have to encourage exports otherwise we carry on being a low pay second class country. We need investment and good education for ourselves here?which we all invest in. Or we will end up overcrowded. Benefits country and the EU weren't helping at all. They are in a mess. Still thinking we should all be homogeniised into one. The ideal would be new beginnings. It's laughable people talking about travel across Europe. Most people can't afford it. As for politicians who are remainers. Their well paid second career jobs are going! Rant over.

Welshwife Tue 21-Mar-17 12:59:50

But this was an advisory referendum not set up correctly to be one that had to be acted upon.

The main Brexiteers are now unable to logically refute any facts shown which would make remaining seem the better choice - all they do is complain that the BBC or whoever are biased.

People who ran the Leave campaign have admitted that without the 'big lies' such as the red bus slogan they would not have won the vote. Although all the leavers on this thread did not believe that slogan many voters did - in some places they are still waiting for the money so the NHS can suddenly be wonderful again. They do not realise that many of the staff will be gone or decide not to come and there is no money.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 21-Mar-17 13:05:13

Gill757
I offer you my deepest sympathy.

Are you really happy with our present housing shortage?
thousands living on the streets? food banks the likes which never before seen since the days of WW11? NHS hospitals full to bursting desperate for more funding? kids without places to educate them? lucky if you can see a doctor within two weeks let alone a week?

Maybe you are not able to recall the lazy hazy best times of all days, after WW11, before we were thrown to the wolves of the common market /EU countries who so many UK guys and gals lost their lives saving and for what.?
I can, and for sure this country will never ever get back on its feet unless we get out pronto.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion