Gransnet forums

News & politics

Colin Dexter

(13 Posts)
NotTooOld Wed 22-Mar-17 09:23:42

Sounds like a nice man.

kittylester Wed 22-Mar-17 08:43:31

He taught Latin at DH'S school for a while (about a 100 years ago grin) and was popular among the pupils for being friendly and approachable.

Cherrytree59 Tue 21-Mar-17 22:24:30

Thank you for a much loved character

Colin Dexter. RIP

Cherrytree59 Tue 21-Mar-17 22:20:53

Morse was a cosy night in front of the TV.
Loved the scenes of Oxford University and the lovely city where it never seemed to rain!
We had some wonderful visits to Oxford
inspired by the programme.
DH enjoyed a pint of Morels real ale

Morse was a well round character that fitted in to his Oxford surroundings with his classic Jaguar car, love the Opera and classical music and The Times crossword.

Charleygirl Tue 21-Mar-17 22:04:13

I did en joy all of the Morse series and also Lewis but not quite so much Endeavor. RIP, another good writer gone.

grannyactivist Tue 21-Mar-17 21:38:42

Colin Dexter wrote some very good books. We didn't have a TV when Morse was being shown, but I did get several of the videos later and thoroughly enjoyed them. I think his cameo appearances in Morse/Lewis/Endeavour hinted at a slightly mischievous personality.

Christinefrance Tue 21-Mar-17 17:04:22

Colin Dexter gave us a great hero in Morse, such a change to the usual police procedurals of the time. I lived in Oxford for a while so enjoyed the setting too.
RIP

rosesarered Tue 21-Mar-17 16:40:19

I met him once, at a dinner, he was very pleasant but rather deaf, which made conversation difficult.I love the Morse tv programmes and Endeavor, but although the books are good, liked the films more.He said that he knew nothing about police procedure when he wrote the books ( which sometimes shows!)

nigglynellie Tue 21-Mar-17 15:51:57

Inspector Morse is truly dead! I loved these series as it took place in Oxford where I was born and lived intermittently (my home was six miles away) all my childhood, so I know it very well, only moving away after marriage.

HildaW Tue 21-Mar-17 15:27:32

I can remember the evening I watched the first ever Morse. I just sat there is this delightful bubble of intellect and Oxford scenery. There had been nothing like it up till then and I was hooked. What a joy, only slightly spoilt by my DH muttering 'you can't drive that way up that street'......we lived just outside Oxford at the time!

Teetime Tue 21-Mar-17 14:32:26

Yes indeed wonderful books - RIP.

MawBroon Tue 21-Mar-17 14:05:30

A memorable legacy RIP

Anniebach Tue 21-Mar-17 13:57:14

Colin Dexter has died.

Thank you for giving us Morse

R I P