Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit all done and dusted?

(857 Posts)
Cindersdad Sun 02-Apr-17 16:47:13

As an arch REMOANER I for one (of many) will not simply roll over and say that is that. As things progress at the very least parliament must ensure that the country does not Brexit in a bad way because of "The Will of the People". So many lies were told by both side at the time of referendum that when the full facts come to light a re-think should be considered.

I have yet to hear a sound reason for voting LEAVE. Of course the EU is far from perfect but we are better trying to change it from within than sniping from outside. A general election or second referendum before the point of absolute no return.

I happen to be visiting Brussels on an educational trip after Easter so until then I will put up and shut up unless really provoked.

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 18:20:07

Nestle have confirmed that they are moving because of Brexit

Fitzy54 Tue 25-Apr-17 18:23:51

I simply meant that in the article the Nestle spokesman said the move would have happened irrespective of Brexit. Plenty of UK manufacturing jobs have moved offshore over the years.

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 18:25:17

That's not what I heard fitz

Ana Tue 25-Apr-17 18:27:22

Source, whitewave?

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 18:32:03

BBC news at 6pm tonight at roughly 18.03.

Fitzy54 Tue 25-Apr-17 18:35:10

I've looked a a few reports now and they conflict. But the most recent I found did indeed contradict the earlier reports and said uncertainty over Brexit was a contributory reason.

Fitzy54 Tue 25-Apr-17 18:36:36

But i should add that it didn't actually say that the earlier reports to the effect that it would have happened anyway were wrong.

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 18:36:58

Cheers fitz

durhamjen Tue 25-Apr-17 19:21:20

Hedging your bets there, Fitzy.

varian Tue 25-Apr-17 19:38:40

As you say, dj construction is the most volatile sector of the economy and a downturn in architectural commissions is a worrying sign.

www.theguardian.com/business/2017/apr/24/foster-partners-redundancies-brexit-staff-london

The RIBA, like so many other professional and business organisations, is working on the assumption that Brexit is inevitable. Ok, we need some contingency planning but I think that assumption needs to be challenged.

Fitzy54 Wed 26-Apr-17 06:27:25

Yes DJ. My guess is that the main reason for the move is the usual one - cheaer labour and other overheads. But none of us really know.

Fitzy54 Wed 26-Apr-17 07:07:56

Cheaper!

durhamjen Wed 26-Apr-17 07:44:26

theconversation.com/eu-agencies-a-brexit-loss-nobodys-talking-about-76222

durhamjen Wed 26-Apr-17 07:46:30

The main reason for the move is that Nestle is a Swiss company, and knows the problems of having to negotiate deals. It doesn't need another third country, when it can go directly to Poland.
It should please Brexiteers, as Polish workers will be able to go back to Poland and get decent jobs.

Fitzy54 Wed 26-Apr-17 07:55:35

DJ are you sure? I really doubt you are right. It's not as though they are moving out of the UK completely, just one product.

Welshwife Wed 26-Apr-17 08:37:44

Well that is to start with Fitzy - they have said it is because of Brexit - they may well be doing a phased exit from the UK depending on how things go - also must depend somewhat on how much of their UK production is sold in UK.

There are so many jobs moving to the Continent - a few hundred here and there but it all adds up. I heard from a friend yesterday who has a son working in the City and his job is being moved to Europe and he is being made redundant - they had just had a mortgage approved.

daphnedill Wed 26-Apr-17 10:44:19

Why isn't it headline news that the EU has excluded financial services from any EU-UK trade negotiations?

The City of London will be allowed access to the single market in the future only if it signs up to the EU’s regulatory and supervisory standards, which includes submitting itself to the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice, which is likely to be unacceptable to the government.

The public was reassured repeatedly before the referendum that financial services wouldn't lose passporting rights.

daphnedill Wed 26-Apr-17 10:47:31

Is he skilled in picking potatoes, Ww?

When people claimed that the economy would become a bargain basement sweat shop economy, they were told it was Project Fear. They were right.

Sorry to be flippant about potatoes. I'm just so bl**dy angry.

daphnedill Wed 26-Apr-17 10:49:57

Exactly dj. The Poles can go back to Poland and we can pick the potatoes. Sorted! They're going back anyway. Wages are rising fast in Poland.

whitewave Wed 26-Apr-17 10:50:16

The referendum was characterised by lies, Brexit is being characterised by suppression. Suppression of facts, suppression of negotiating stance.

Jalima1108 Wed 26-Apr-17 10:54:03

There'll still be plenty of jobs in the UK - if you fancy picking potatoes and wiping bums. hmm

That is such an unpleasant comment daphnedill and demeans anyone who does do those essential jobs.

daphnedill Wed 26-Apr-17 10:55:51

This site, EUobserver, is a not-for-profit, independent online newspaper established in Brussels in 2000.

From its homepage: We value free thinking and plain speech and aim to support European democracy by giving people the information they need to hold the EU establishment to account.

It reports news about Brexit negotiations as they happen.

euobserver.com/static/about

The EU itself publishes ongoing news about negotiations, but I can't find the link at the moment.

Even the European media reports more than I've been able to find out from our own government or the British media.

daphnedill Wed 26-Apr-17 10:57:29

Your opinion Jalima.

Face up to it. Eastern European have been doing dirty jobs for years - jobs British people didn't want to do.

Welshwife Wed 26-Apr-17 11:24:03

Apart from the type of job - we have a DiL who is a care worker and absolutely loves the job and would not change. Works in a sort of sheltered housing place so no longer has driving around between jobs. - it is the low money they are paid. Essential jobs should be recognised for being that and paid accordingly. Same goes for harvesting and packaging food etc - essential work.
British people tend to want 'clean' jobs in a clean environment.
After so much misinformation with the Referendum people really do not know what to believe any more. The first time I see a 'fact' unless I am really happy with the source I tend to check it out in other places. Some papers and news sites headline things as new amazing facts when they are old news. I saw one this morning about the Irish Court deciding that A50 could be reversed - thought that was old news! But it was a sensational headline.
Only now are many of the facts the experts came up with coming to fruition - later than they forecast but still happening. I notice that many are failing to make headlines with parts of the press.

POGS Wed 26-Apr-17 11:35:27

daphnedil

"There'll still be plenty of jobs in the UK - if you fancy picking potatoes and wiping bums."

"Face up to it. Eastern European have been doing dirty jobs for years - jobs British people didn't want to do."

You might have a point by saying British people don't want to do some jobs, ask yourself why? They must be getting more money than working for it unless they have a disability.

I 'wiped bums' for a while as a part time carer in a nursing home. It was a very rewarding job in my opinion.

Your comments are crass and don't forget nurses 'wipe bums', farmers pick crops.