Gransnet forums

News & politics

Diane Abbott

(213 Posts)
MawBroon Wed 03-May-17 09:51:52

Did anybody feel sorry for her yesterday? Or embarrassed? Or, like me, annoyed that she was so ill prepared and frankly incompetent.
She "misspoke" apparently. hmm
She only had one job to do.
And before anybody says the poor dear had to give eleventy billion seven interviews -she is a professional politician it's what she does.
What compounded it was her tone of voice -like a primary teacher talking to a very stupid child, trying not to lose her patience but clearly just about to. Especially as she was talking such nonsense.
With talent such as Yvette Cooper, Chuka Umunna, Michael Dughan and others (even Ed Balls!) to call on why does the Labour campaign wheel on choose someone like Diane Abbott to score an own goal?

Ana Sat 06-May-17 14:46:22

Was it the truth though? We only have her word for that.

durhamjen Sat 06-May-17 14:42:07

I thought she missed the Brexit vote because she was having a migraine. Don't let the truth get in the way of a good put-down, though.

nigglynellie Sat 06-May-17 13:05:32

I'm only trying to be kind, and you never quite know!

MawBroon Sat 06-May-17 13:00:01

Excuses, excuses.

Maybe there is a health issue?
Did she not miss the Brexit vote because she was tired (no, I didn't say "tired and emotional") grin

rosesarered Sat 06-May-17 12:55:29

All these defensive posts about Abbott and her incompetence! grin

trisher Sat 06-May-17 12:50:18

Of course she was MawBroon. There were probably results to come in that. were forecast as Labour but were lost. She was asked how many seats Labour had lost and gave an answer based on that. And of course it was a guess.
The interviewer would well have known she wouldn't know.
It takes ages to set up a formal interview, she would have had make-up and lights tests. The interviewer of course gets his first and then uses his phone to find out what she couldn't possibly know.
She should have told him that.

MawBroon Sat 06-May-17 11:51:26

Exactly - if she was aware of 100, why on earth did she say 50 ? Or was she hoping things might have picked up?

POGS Sat 06-May-17 11:32:52

trisher

" Oh come on it's obvious that she was trying to improve the figures and hoping the last results to come in had gone to Labour. So she said 50. "

You mean she made figures up!

So you answer a current question by stating a figure of 50 but within a nanno second you admit you know you were trying it on and admit you knew it was 100.

Your argument that Abbott was somehow making a comment of where Labour would be by the time all of the results were presumably in, in other words a guesstimate was not the question asked .

Anybody who has watched Dianne Abbott over the years is fully aware she often appears to make things up on the hoof. The election , her Shadow Cabinet position , the fact she is a high profile spokesperson for Labour will by it's nature mean she is in the public eye.

There is no hiding place and to be honest when the public can 'Hear from the horses mouth' they are perfectly capable of seeing and hearing somebody out of their depth, not on top of their brief.

POGS Sat 06-May-17 11:05:09

Interesting link MB

" Answering questions about Labour’s net losses in the local elections, shadow home secretary estimates that the number of seats lost by her party is ‘about 50’, but is told by the interviewer that the figure actually stands at about 125. Abbott then pauses and alters her answer, saying: ‘Well, the last time I looked we had net losses of 100 but obviously this is a moving picture.’"

confused

trisher Sat 06-May-17 11:00:21

Oh come on it's obvious that she was trying to improve the figures and hoping the last results to come in had gone to Labour. So she said 50. The interviewer who had more up to date info knew it was 125. The last time she had looked it had been 100. Obviously she was wrong but can't be thought inadequate because she was optimistic. As for the 125 she would have been incommunicado whilst they set her up for interviewing, the interviewer obviously wasn't.

Anniebach Sat 06-May-17 10:58:58

I wondered about her health Niggly whilst listening to her interview.

nigglynellie Sat 06-May-17 10:50:09

Perhaps she's not very well, in which case she'd do better to stand down.

MawBroon Sat 06-May-17 10:24:51

www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2017/may/05/diane-abbott-underestimates-labour-local-election-losses-video

Not having the best week is Diane Abbott. hmm
But surely even she could have counted up to 6? She made the claim.

sunseeker Sat 06-May-17 10:23:10

I gather she "misspoke" again on the number of council seats Labour had lost.

IngeJones Sat 06-May-17 10:20:38

Trisher, she hadn't already done 6. Apparently that turned out to be untrue.

grannypiper Fri 05-May-17 15:28:33

I dont suppose she gets her son's school fees wrong.

Anya Fri 05-May-17 11:51:59

I think you have missed the point sunseeker

trisher Fri 05-May-17 11:30:04

Theresa May made one mistake in one scripted and practiced speech to a collection of Tory supporters who were hand picked to hear her.
Diane Abbott made some mistakes in an unrehearsed live interview after already done 6.
Forgive me for thinking it's much worse not to be able to remember your lines than to fluff a question
Anyway TM's was a Freudian slip she thinks all foreigners should be treated badly and prevented from staying or entering the UK. She just spoke the truth for once.

Beammeupscottie Fri 05-May-17 11:26:30

ab

grin

POGS Fri 05-May-17 11:19:00

Dianne Abbott did not make one mistake, say one word incorrectly she gave a totally inept interview and spoke gobbledygook.

She could not state any financial nor numbers of officers figures correctly, she made them up!

She went from the policy of employing 10.000 police officers to 250.000 !!!, then 200 + maybe 50 !!!.

She went from the cost of employing 10.000 police officers from £300 . 000 to £80 Million and carried on drifting.

Anniebach Fri 05-May-17 11:02:11

Just read a tweet - Corbyn claims labour loses are down to their failure to place Abbott as minister of voting counts

IngeJones Fri 05-May-17 10:57:37

Jalima, you tell me? Loads of them have done just that - given up their place on the shadow cabinet, left the labour party, given up their seats... Anything rather than simply accept their own rules regarding how the leader is chosen. What about MPs caring about their own party members? I have spotted little of that! Don't forget Diane Abbott herself ran for leadership once, as a person who is obviously more a centerist, seeing as she sent her own kid to private school. It's not like she wanted to be serving a leftie like Corbyn all along.

POGS Fri 05-May-17 10:55:26

Inge Jones

Hells bells if Dianne Abbott ever used that tactic Corbyn would definitely be doomed.

Abbott is like Emily Thornberry , if they were sticks of rock they would we love Jeremy running through.

Jalima1108 Fri 05-May-17 10:25:56

IngeJones I don't think Diane Abott is one who would be working against Corbyn.
Why would decent MPs who care about their constituents and about the Labour party want to lose their seats (not to mention their jobs!)?

And, no, it is not just many MPs, it is the electorate as a whole, many of them lifetime Labour voters.

Anniebach Fri 05-May-17 10:20:18

why should all those labour MP's lie ?